littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: New Property Agent Scam

New Property Agent Scam

Anyone looking for an apartment to rent in Moscow should be aware of a new property agent scam. Listings often show beautiful new apartments being rented for a low price. A good friend saw one near Sokol at 19 k a month, a steal. She called the phone number of the agency who invited her to their office to look at the listing, along with other ones. A promise was made that no commission would be asked for. At the office, pictures were shown to my young friend of beautiful apartments and a promise was made to provide contacts and phone numbers of properties for an advance fee of 10,000 Rubles.

My young friend fell for it, signed an agreement, paid the money and left the office to visit the apartments. Needless to say there were no apartments, only incorrect phone numbers and addresses. Over the following weeks, no apartment referrals were provided. The setup is essentially a con.

The lesson learned was this. Pay no commissions in advance to rent a property. Never visit the offices of any property agencies, meet them only at the apartments. When visting properties, ask for the passport of the owner and proof of ownership such as a deed. If a power of attorney is provided, insist on meeting the owner. Power of attorneys can be falsified. Try to avoid paying any kind of commissions to rent a flat. It's possible with a bit of hard work. Don't believe any ads. Many of them are fake.

My friend ended up finding a rental by visiting the various web sites that offer rentals (SIAN, IRR.RU, Yandex) and checking for new listings. As soon as one appeared, offered by a landlord, she made a phone call. She ended up visiting a property as the previous renter was leaving. It turned out to be a reliable landlord, with documents, a clean flat. A rare find.

I've heard there Vkontakte and Facebook have pages dedicated to apartment rentals. That can be a source of apartments.
    Last edited by xt-tsi; 28-01-2018 at 12:00.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to xt-tsi For This Useful Post:

Benedikt (28-01-2018), FatAndy (28-01-2018), nicklcool (29-01-2018), TolkoRaz (28-01-2018)

Useful post providing some good advice for those people seeking apartments for hire............... I would also suggest that a single female should not be wandering off to all parts of Moscow viewing apartments; she should go accompanied by a trusted colleague or friend.........

As an aside, did your friend go back to the office and complain? If so, what happened?
    Если враг в пределах досягаемости, то и вы тоже!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TolkoRaz For This Useful Post:

Benedikt (28-01-2018), Hans.KK (11-02-2018)

As an aside, did your friend go back to the office and complain? If so, what happened?[/QUOTE]

agree with you.
    right from the beginning on, if a deal sounds and looks to good to be true, most probably it is.
    KDN is also a good newspaper and site. russian acronym for apartments, dacha and office. they show by district,by rooms, 1.2.3.4 or more rooms. also if one wants to rent or buy.
    NEVER part with any money . a -fee- for meeting and looking at a place is also a scam that is done frequently. or if there are already other people there to see the place. you pay the agent some money to make sure the place is being kept for you... you never see the agent and neither your money...
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

DiscoverLearn (11-02-2018)

Tolkoraz, no, the young female didn't go by herself to look at apartments.

I complained to the agency but each time I did the agents said the same thing - "I personally promise to send you three apartment recommendations in the next hour". The apartment recommendations were never sent. It sounded like they agents were working off of a printed script. Well, it is a lesson learned by the 19 year old. Not too costly.

Sadly, the agents are all young. Their job is essentially built around ripping people off.

The name of the agency, by the way, is Premiere, located near Taganskaya Metro. Avoid them. But several other agencies offer the same deal.

A few months ago I had the opposite experience when I listed a 3 bedroom apartment for rent. We felt like we'd find renters quickly. As soon as we placed the ad my phone began ringing non-stop. I was inundated by agents. Several made vaguely threatening statements, saying other agents would make life difficult for me and the future renters at the property if I didn't pull the ad and give exclusivity to an agent to find renters. I never did. A couple of agents ended up bringing potential renters to look at our apartment. One of them wanted to use the apartment as a hotel with visitors coming in and out from China every few days and have several people living in each room. The other wanted to rent out the apartment for short term, hotel type rental. I ended up finding someone on Vkontakte...very good renters, without any agent at all.

If I ever have another property coming up for rent, I will get a SIM card with a number I use only for the ad. I'll place the ad on Vkontakte and Facebook only. Maybe SIAN.

Thanks, Benedikt, for the referral to KDN. I'll check it out.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to xt-tsi For This Useful Post:

nicklcool (29-01-2018)

Thanks, Benedikt, for the referral to KDN. I'll check it out.[/QUOTE]

just in case, here is the link http://www.kdo.ru/
    and google chrome will translate, if set up that way.
    maybe as a first contact give only an email address. and just for that, use a complete new mail. easy to set up.2 minutes. and when done, just forget about it...
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

DiscoverLearn (11-02-2018), nicklcool (29-01-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    Thanks, Benedikt, for the referral to KDN. I'll check it out.
    just in case, here is the link http://www.kdo.ru/
    and google chrome will translate, if set up that way.
    maybe as a first contact give only an email address. and just for that, use a complete new mail. easy to set up.2 minutes. and when done, just forget about it...[/QUOTE]

THANKS!!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to xt-tsi For This Useful Post:

Benedikt (29-01-2018)

This was so common in the 90's and early 2000's.

Beware of this site. It promotes fake apartments.

https://www.gdeetotdom.ru/

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DiscoverLearn For This Useful Post:

Benedikt (11-02-2018), nicklcool (11-02-2018)