littleangels        English Nanny
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Renew UK passport with TRP

Renew UK passport with TRP

I got my TRP in September 2017 and my passport will expire December 2018. I want to get my passport renewed before it runs out. I live in Novosibirsk and I have two potential options for renewing my passport:

1) Fly to Moscow apply there
    2) Fly to London and apply there

1. If I got to Moscow, given that they keep your passport during the process (several weeks I understand) how can I fly back to Novosibirsk (or do a myriad of other things) without my passport?

2. If I fly to London, will I be able to get back into the country using my old/new passports, or will the TRP be invalidated?

Has anyone had any experience of doing this? The UK passport information hotline knows nothing about the specifics of Russia, but the Embassy and Moscow Application centre refuse to answer questions on the subject.

Which of the Russian authorities (if any) can I get reliable information on this from?

even if-when your UK passport is expired, any other document is not. you can fly with your new passport AND your old expired one,, showing them any russia nstamps they might want to see.
    Why would your consulate in Moscow keep your old passport while applying for a new one? you need an application form, photo, payment of course and they make a copy of your old passport? or do you have different procedures which i do not know of course?
    ( i am in the same situation now with my Austrian passport. went to the consulate, did the paperwork, paid up and in a week the new passport will be back. than i go to the MMZ to get a - transferred- new PRP stamp in my new passport. and go back to the OVIR to re register my PRP, which is timely as well. only after i have all new-transferred stamps in my new passport, i go back to the Austrian consulate were my old passport is stamped -invalid- and returned to me. the first 2 or 3 times when flying out i always take my old invalid passport with me. just in case they might have any questions at the airport. or for whatever reasons might want to have a look at it).
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

Judge is offline kiss my shiny metal ........
    You can keep your old passport if you apply in Moscow,
    When applying for a new passport, have the company you work for write a letter, saying you need to keep your passport because you often travel on business,etc.
    They at the embassy know you need to have your passport on you in Russia,this letter just makes it all official.
    Last edited by Judge; 11-01-2018 at 00:12.

Thanks guys!

Ok, so I found out some more info. When I went to collect my exit visa, I asked about renewing my passport in the UK and return using both passports. I was told that this was not possible, and that the Embassy may be able to transfer the visa from the old passport to the new one. I've rung the Russian Embassy in London today and they confirmed that they can do this in 1-3 days. Looks like this could be the simplest solution.

Moscow sounds like more hassle in terms of paperwork, and the uk gov website says that you can keep your old passport for identification but you can't travel with it. So I'm still not sure I could get back to Novosibirsk!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LaughingMan For This Useful Post:

Hans.KK (26-04-2018)

Hi laughingman.
    Iam in the same position as you were. iam a brit living in Mari el republic. I need to renew my passport and not sure of the best way to do it? I also need my TRP transferring to a new passport. As iam still in Russia i was thinking of getting a new passport via the British Embassy in Moscow. Can you tell me if this was the route you took and if so we're there any problems along the way. Thanks. Dave.

Does the UK Embassy/Consulate in Moscow still renew passports?
    My passport expires February next year and when I looked on the Moscow consulate website there didn’t seem to be any information about how to renew. However, on the UK Government site (https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports) it seems that applications have to be made either online or by post to the UK, with a suggested turn-around time of “up to six weeks from receipt” and a mysterious comment that “you may have to attend an interview”.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BigBear For This Useful Post:

johnsimpson (14-09-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by dmcol View Post
    Hi laughingman.
    Iam in the same position as you were. iam a brit living in Mari el republic. I need to renew my passport and not sure of the best way to do it? I also need my TRP transferring to a new passport. As iam still in Russia i was thinking of getting a new passport via the British Embassy in Moscow. Can you tell me if this was the route you took and if so we're there any problems along the way. Thanks. Dave.
    -russian documents or stamps - will only be transferred by THAT russian authority that issued them in the first place.
    you get your passport first, hopefully your Consulate will do it ( the Austrians do it one one week.) dont forget though you might need that new fancy - biometric - photo. exact size, eyes open, nothing on the head, hat, scarf or the likes. not smiling like a Cheshire cat but a -normal - face....Apostille and then passport translated into Russian language. some need empty pages written into the translation as - empty pages - .others do not... Good luck with the pen pushers and stamp pad protectors....

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

nicklcool (12-09-2019)

I agree with Benedikt that only Russia can transfer theRussian documents and stamps.
    When I renewed my Belgian passport last year (I have dual British and Belgian nationalities and chose to put all my visas and stamps in the Belgian passport) I had to return to the local Migration Service office which had issued me with my TRP and the associated 3 year multi-entry visa and have them cancel the old visa and put new stamps and a new visa in the new passport. They didn’t need translations, just the old and new passport, but your local office might work to different interpretations.
    Once I had those, I then had to go back to my local police station for them to put my registration details in the new passport.
    Apart from apologizing to them for the inconvenience, I didn’t have any problems getting this done.
    Note that the expiry dates of the TRP and visa do not change - they stay the same as the originals.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BigBear For This Useful Post:

Benedikt (13-09-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by BigBear View Post
    Does the UK Embassy/Consulate in Moscow still renew passports?
    My passport expires February next year and when I looked on the Moscow consulate website there didn’t seem to be any information about how to renew. However, on the UK Government site (https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports) it seems that applications have to be made either online or by post to the UK, with a suggested turn-around time of “up to six weeks from receipt” and a mysterious comment that “you may have to attend an interview”.
    This service is now outsourced, but you can apply for and receive a new UK passport in Moscow (I just did it). You can only apply online if collecting your passport in UK. To apply here you have to write to the service provider suggesting three dates when you can be available for an appointment. They then answer "within 15 working days" (they answered me 15 days later!) and give you a completely different appointment date to the ones you suggested. You show up with your application form, original passport, copy of your passport (every page) and the form giving permission to charge your credit card and the member of staff checks your documents and sends them off to London. I got my new passport back within 3 weeks. All of the details of where and how are on the gov.uk website. You then have to go to your local migration service office to get your TRP transferred (I have PRP and had to do the same).

15. The Following User Says Thank You to RooRu For This Useful Post:

BigBear (13-09-2019)

Thanks for that info Bigbear. Regards. Dave.

Sorry RooRu

Quote Originally Posted by RooRu View Post
    This service is now outsourced, but you can apply for and receive a new UK passport in Moscow (I just did it). You can only apply online if collecting your passport in UK. To apply here you have to write to the service provider suggesting three dates when you can be available for an appointment. They then answer "within 15 working days" (they answered me 15 days later!) and give you a completely different appointment date to the ones you suggested. You show up with your application form, original passport, copy of your passport (every page) and the form giving permission to charge your credit card and the member of staff checks your documents and sends them off to London. I got my new passport back within 3 weeks. All of the details of where and how are on the gov.uk website. You then have to go to your local migration service office to get your TRP transferred (I have PRP and had to do the same).
    and how much did they charge you for all that? ( this is just for my interest)...

Judge is offline kiss my shiny metal ........
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBear View Post
    I agree with Benedikt that only Russia can transfer theRussian documents and stamps.
    When I renewed my Belgian passport last year (I have dual British and Belgian nationalities and chose to put all my visas and stamps in the Belgian passport) I had to return to the local Migration Service office which had issued me with my TRP and the associated 3 year multi-entry visa and have them cancel the old visa and put new stamps and a new visa in the new passport. They didn’t need translations, just the old and new passport, but your local office might work to different interpretations.
    Once I had those, I then had to go back to my local police station for them to put my registration details in the new passport.
    Apart from apologizing to them for the inconvenience, I didn’t have any problems getting this done.
    Note that the expiry dates of the TRP and visa do not change - they stay the same as the originals.
    Did you have all your stamps and visas in your British passport before?

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    and how much did they charge you for all that? ( this is just for my interest)...
    I paid around 130, which includes 20 for the courier service.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast