Brookes School English Nanny Agency
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: snow is back with vengeance,at least out here.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge View Post
    Interesting, after the storm I googled amount of snow allowed on roof, basically what Armoured said, also, it's probably more hazardous getting rid of snow yourself, best to leave be.
    My roof is flattish, chalet style, nice to have layers of snow on top to keep it insulated,but this snow fall had me worried.
    Now, will see when it all melts away, the muddy slushy fun starts.
    Yeah, really good point - getting snow off roof can be quite dangerous. I've been up on my roof in winter - but only with a good safety line.

What I meant to emphasize above all is that cases where snow is really 'too much' for the roof should be rare - like very, very rare. (And I repeat: even with a somewhat-flat roof, you'd be surprised how much will blow or fall off without you noticing). If it's fresh snow (even if a lot), the weight will be at the lower end most of the time - so I really mean more than a metre of heavy snowpack. 50cm of fresh snowfall is only about 5cm of water (by weight).

Where I'm from, nobody ever shovels or removes snow from the roof of a normal house (as in, I've never even heard of anyone doing it); the only reason or places to do so are to prevent it (and ice especially) from falling and hurting someone, near entrances etc.

And don't worry about your flattish roof, I know of pretty cold snowy climates where not-quite flat roofs are the norm.

My theory about why there are these dachas with super-steep pitched roofs is pretty simple: metal roofs with poor insulation (that also were likely not meant to be occupied in winter), perhaps uncertainty about construction materials quality (ability to bear load), and smallish dacha plots (if your plot is small, build vertical). I suspect the various building restrictions on so-called garden plots was a factor too, but don't know much about that. There's no serious need to build them with such steep roofs for snow (unless there were other constraints).

Remember this in 2004!

2984516.jpg
    Если враг в пределах досягаемости, то и вы тоже!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg0sKG2gmFo - Только раз бывает в жизни встреча

And after the Moscow Transvaal tragedy in 2004, there was another tragedy in Katowice in 2006.............

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katowi..._roof_collapse

2984516.jpg[/QUOTE]
    but there the snow was only the last bit. it was found out that the aggressively chlorinated water /ate/ into the metal.and made it to begin to rust. that they also had this /wave/ machine that weakened the structure. and on top of it it was not build according to the plans of the architect.corner cutting as usual... and then the heavy load of snow. the roof just could not hold it any longer.
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

Now that was a major, major storm. Major power outages, power towers (whatever they call those things) just crumbled, lines down everywhere.[/QUOTE]

this is for light,powdery snow. but when wet snow is falling the weight is increasingly by a multiple factor. and when that thing is icing up and wind or a storm is pressing down on it. trees start to break and roofs to cave in.
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    but there the snow was only the last bit. it was found out that the aggressively chlorinated water /ate/ into the metal.and made it to begin to rust. that they also had this /wave/ machine that weakened the structure. and on top of it it was not build according to the plans of the architect.corner cutting as usual... and then the heavy load of snow. the roof just could not hold it any longer.[/QUOTE]

Yes, you are correct, corrosion of the metal supporting structure was partly to blame............... very sad for the 26 people supposedly having a fun there!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123