co-atmosphere.ru        British Lyceum in Moscow

Thread: 13 days at -50C to get the pics

13 days at -50C to get the pics

https://pitomci.temadnya.com/1307208...lyutom-moroze/

what always surprises me, cameras and photo equipment are all electronic and work with accumulators or batteries. how does one keep them working at these temperatures? and how many does one need to have enough? never mind how needs to dress up to lie quiet and silent for hours in the freezing cold? and wait for the bears to come out... hat off to the lady!
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

Armoured (20-12-2017), rusmeister (20-12-2017), TolkoRaz (20-12-2017)

What a fantastic photo - who would have thought that a small tree could be such an interesting toy, but I suppose in that wilderness anything other than the snow and ice will be of immense interest to curious, playful bears..............

fullsize.jpg
    Если враг в пределах досягаемости, то и вы тоже!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TolkoRaz For This Useful Post:

Benedikt (20-12-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    what always surprises me, cameras and photo equipment are all electronic and work with accumulators or batteries. how does one keep them working at these temperatures? and how many does one need to have enough?
    Hasn't changed much from the time when cameras started needing batteries - the batteries need to be kept warm(er). There are various ways to do this, but amount to either keeping the batteries warm by removing them from camera and running a cable in (keep the batteries close to your body) - this may be a special battery kit or just normal batteries with a doodad adapter; or, remove and swap the batteries in for warm ones. Most of the rest of the camera equipment should work okay in cold - bringing equipment in and out of warm to cold is the biggest problem (moisture condensing or even freezing on the equipment). The motors and electronics are surprisingly okay with cold - generally.

But if the batteries are at the same temperature as the camera, they will die fast in -50 temps.

With film it wasn't easy either - film itself could freeze, or winding film would give static shocks that would damage the image. Worst part with film was changing the film rolls, which you had to do a lot more often compared to digital, where a memory card can hold 500+ images without much trouble.

Fiddling with extra batteries and swapping them is a LOT easier than removing and adding film in the cold; for cameras that did this automatically, the same issue with batteries.

That said: I've had cold digital cameras die when the batteries gave out (I didn't have an external battery kit), and I was glad I had a good old manual film camera with me. I can't even remember whether the battery (for exposure only) was actually working in the cold, but it didn't matter much, as guessing exposure in sunlight is actually pretty easy.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Armoured For This Useful Post:

Benedikt (20-12-2017), TolkoRaz (20-12-2017)