Brookes School        British Lyceum in Moscow

Thread: Why have you chosen Russia?

Why have you chosen Russia?

How have you came to a decision to move to Russia? Why Russia, and not somewhere else? What attracted you in this country? Let's share opinions!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DennisMoscow For This Useful Post:

Uncle Wally (04-12-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by DennisMoscow View Post
    How have you came to a decision to move to Russia? Why Russia, and not somewhere else? What attracted you in this country? Let's share opinions!
    it was still CCCP when i came here. i got a super job offer. it was supposed to be for 6 month. that was some 3o, or already more, years ago....
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

Uncle Wally (04-12-2017)

In Soviet Russia, it is Russia who chooses you! Which in fact was exactly my case, since after the USSR collapsed, they didn't even ask me if I wanted to be a citizen of the new "Russia" or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    it was still CCCP when i came here. i got a super job offer. it was supposed to be for 6 month. that was some 3o, or already more, years ago....
    Super job offer? you mean 1M ruble per month? lol

Quote Originally Posted by DennisMoscow View Post
    I came to Russia Bcz Russian Girls are ****ing hot. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    Benedikt, Will you move to your home country again or you decided to stay in Russia forever?

Quote Originally Posted by Liu.vix View Post
    no not a million rubles. for the money, it was for sure not. but at that time, it was still the Soviet Union, no one thought it would end THAT soon, it was also the excitement to come here. What did we know about the CCCP? not much, Stalin,Lenin, the Gulag and not mcuh else.
    And as a Chef, it is always interesting to see new, -unknown- countries and learn about cultures. cooking is not a problem. a chicken has 2 legs here and there. and I knew already before what I will doing before i came here. no neeed to invent the wheel anew in Moscow.I was to teach - local - cooks -Western- and special Greek cooking and cuisine. and I am still here. And will stay here.

I chose Russia for its winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Liu.vix View Post
    it was not the money alone. I got offered what I had in China, Indonesia and Greece. But it did not have to live in a -compound- with only other foreigners. no one was checking and watching me, I an -just- a Chef. And even the KGB liked good foood. But most of it it was new country. I came from South Africa and China were the Soviet Union was considered the enemy. in South Africa it was the -rooi gevaar- the red danger. And since the Ussuri incidents China and the CCCP were not friends anymore either.On top of it waht did i know about -Russia-? I have heard of course about Stalin, Lenin, the Red Square. And of course the -Murder in Gorki Park-. And the funniest thing at all, no bears were runnign around on Red Square. And I had to look hard to find amongst my Chefs and Cooks a REAL communist. were were they all? On top of it, i was not married and had a good time. Reasons enough?