English Nanny        British Lyceum in Moscow

Thread: Hello!

Hello!

Hi! My name is Dennis,
    I'm a student working on a project that aims to find and analyze the most important problems expats face in Russia.
    A work like that can only be done relying on information, shared by people who have made first-hand experiences while adapting to life in Russia.
    As a Muscovite, I have a different angle of view at the problem and can probably lose important problems out of my sight, so any insights related to the topic will be appreciated. So feel free to PM me with your opinions!

For my part, I'd be happy to help you out with your questions about Russia and Moscow

Let the whining begin!
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Wally For This Useful Post:

Benedikt (28-11-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by DennisMoscow View Post
    Hi! My name is Dennis,
    I'm a student working on a project that aims to find and analyze the most important problems expats face in Russia.
    Dennis, two of the most important recent problems facing expats here are: 1) finding needles and thread; and 2) finding shoelaces.

You can find more details in this 'thread' ---> https://forum.expat.ru/showthread.ph...99#post1472799

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to xp@ For This Useful Post:

Benedikt (28-11-2017), DennisMoscow (28-11-2017), Judge (28-11-2017), TolkoRaz (28-11-2017), Uncle Wally (29-11-2017)

Judge is offline kiss my shiny metal ........
    Quote Originally Posted by xp@ View Post
    Dennis, two of the most important recent problems facing expats here are: 1) finding needles and thread; and 2) finding shoelaces.

You can find more details in this 'thread' ---> https://forum.expat.ru/showthread.ph...99#post1472799
    Good idea, Dennis should read a few threads, he will get an idea about problems we face..

Here's a few,

https://forum.expat.ru/showthread.ph...opiska-trouble

Changing of location every few years is a problem.
    https://forum.expat.ru/showthread.ph...havskoe-Shosse

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Judge For This Useful Post:

DennisMoscow (28-11-2017), xp@ (28-11-2017)

not finding their favorite cookies, cornflakes, sauces, cheeses, milk, what have you....
    arguments with landlords who do not want to register you
    the schlepp out to MMC to get the TRP or PRP
    the many medical tests one has to make to get these documents
    having to learn now russian to qualify for a TRP or PRP
    worried that the needles in the local polyclinic or hospital are for sure one way and sterile
    that the METRO, as we call the subway hers, is always overcrowded. and the people stink and push and are unfriendly.(never mind that Vienna,after Paris was voted as the most unfriendly town...)
    that the busses and Trams in summer are to hot,in winter freezing cold and anyway, a car is better.
    and than moan and complain that there is no parking in the center, and if there is one it is PAID parking now...
    there is lots more if you just read through the site a little bit.

and i forgot nearly the main gripe and complain of may an Expat....Everything is written in Russian language. might that be in the Metro, the street names, menus or prices in the shops, everything was in roubles.... and -no one- speaks english...they had forgotten that we were and are in Russia, where the national langauge is Russian and not English.
    Last edited by Benedikt; 28-11-2017 at 20:25.
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

DennisMoscow (29-11-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    that the METRO, as we call the subway hers, is always overcrowded. and the people stink and push and are unfriendly.(never mind that Vienna,after Paris was voted as the most unfriendly town...)
    Yeah... Thankfully, there are metro lines that are not as overcrowded, e.g. the western part of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalini...tsevskaya_Line and also MCC. I am also very happy about the introduction of new metro trains on the Tagansko-Krasnopresnenskaya line.

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    Everything is written in Russian language. might that be in the Metro, the street names, menus or prices in the shops
    Hopefully, it will change for the better with 2018 FIFA World Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge View Post
    Good idea, Dennis should read a few threads, he will get an idea about problems we face..

Here's a few
    Thanks!

Dennis it has been changed since quite some time already. but certain things, like english langauge announcements in the Metro can not be installed into the older cars ( it could be of course, but then might as well scrap the cars and build new ones. it is expensive because most of the overhead interior would need replacing).and try to change millions of street and square signs with names in both languages.
    funny though, in NY except on Brighton Beach where most Russians have shops or live, have i seen nowhere anything in Russian,German,French or any other langauge. Same in Vienna, Paris or Beijing. Most of it is in local lingo. And no one seems to get lost or dies of hunger because they can not read a menu.... and the TOURISTS for sure seem to find their way around with no problems....
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

Hans.KK (29-11-2017)