littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: Foreign MA students, English-speaking, want to meet other students, make friends

Foreign MA students, English-speaking, want to meet other students, make friends

A new program in Linguistics has begun this semester at Sechenov University. New master's degree students from Vietnam, China and Ghana are feeling a bit isolated and lonely. So are the faculty, from the U.S. and Hungary.

Russian students in the University are involved in other matters and impossible to make friends with. Plus, there is no venue for this at the university. The guest house is like a hotel where no one knows anyone else. No common area for interaction.

Guest house is near Sportivnaya station, classes near Krasnoprenskaya. That separation is no help either.

Anyone know of a method to meet other students? A place? Where graduate or college students congregate?

Suggestions would be sincerely welcomed.

-- Newbies to Moscow

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drpaul16 For This Useful Post:

quincy (08-11-2017), Uncle Wally (08-11-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by drpaul16 View Post

Russian students in the University are involved in other matters and impossible to make friends with.
    Is it the language barrier?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to quincy For This Useful Post:

Uncle Wally (09-11-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by quincy View Post
    Is it the language barrier?

You mean Linguistical difficulties?

I think it's more a big city the students are unfamiliar with.
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Wally View Post
    You mean Linguistical difficulties?
    I suggest biochemical ones. Future Russian doctors drink much, and guys from Vietnam, China and Ghana just can't compete But I'm sure this will be leveraged in the upcoming winter
    All the world's Kremlin,
    And all the men and women merely agents

Quote Originally Posted by FatAndy View Post
    I suggest biochemical ones. Future Russian doctors drink much, and guys from Vietnam, China and Ghana just can't compete But I'm sure this will be leveraged in the upcoming winter

You don't have to tell me about doctors, I know. I was thinking about calling around to some friends and getting a Sunday night thing going for them. But it must include lots of drinking, spending of money and maybe even quick sex in the bathroom or It's just not very interesting. Advertising is get more expensive these days.
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"