littleangels        English Nanny
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: the last time someone was in the -hot- seat was 2013...

Quote Originally Posted by Freud View Post
    I don't do Facebook. Do you guys do Vkontakte or any of the other Russian social media?
    i do FB because of many of my South African and other Chef colleagues around the world are there (- Carlton Alumnies-).Besides that and here, i post nothing else.
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

Freud (16-04-2021)

In reading through the old threads, I noticed there are lots of people listed as "BANNED". What the heck did they have to do to get banned? The rules don't seem very strict here.
    there was and still is also - private mail - and THERE often the real abusive things happened. reason enough for admin to get those -members -banned.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

Freud (16-04-2021)

What were 'greenies' and 'reds'? Just an extension of 'thanks' and 'no thanks'?

https://www.razorgator.com/blog/reme...sing-greenies/ those were the greenies or reds.. one could also use the term -uppers - or -downers -...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

Freud (16-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    https://www.razorgator.com/blog/reme...sing-greenies/ those were the greenies or reds.. one could also use the term -uppers - or -downers -...
    I'm not into sports so I had never heard of that.

In reading through the old threads, I noticed there are lots of people listed as "BANNED". What the heck did they have to do to get banned? The rules don't seem very strict here.
    Some people were REALLY rude and deliberately insulting, not just differing in beliefs and ideas - they wanted to make others mad. There were other violations of rules, but that was the most common, I think.

On a slightly different note, I'm here because I had been banned from an ESL teachers' forum (Dave's Cafe) for discussing the philosophy of education and teaching, and not limiting it to techniques on how to teach the present perfect tense. I asked if it was OK to discuss philosophy and religion here, was assured that it was fine, as long as it was respectful, and have been here ever since. The days of the relatively great debates - lively and generally polite discussions between people who disagree - are mostly over, though.

Greenies were to show how well liked you were on the forum. They were given by other members and those given by members who had a lot of greenies were somehow better, your greenie line would become longer than say if someone with few of them gave you some. Same goes for reds, they would shorten your greenie line and it could get to a point where your green line turned red. But people abused the system and unfairly targeted people. Childish if you ask me. Thanks like a "like button" are used to get you more interested in posting, the more post on a site the more it can make from advertising. They make Facebook addictive just for this reason. But we know that Facebook is more a data collection business than it is a social networking site.
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

On the Yellow Brick Road, near El Dorado...
    I don't do Facebook. Do you guys do Vkontakte or any of the other Russian social media?
    My Facebook page says "Suckerberg is a fascist". But I rarely use it. It's a waste of otherwise-constructive time.
    "Defund the Social Sciences." - Fantastika, 2020

On the Yellow Brick Road, near El Dorado...
    Quote Originally Posted by rusmeister View Post
    Some people were REALLY rude and deliberately insulting, not just differing in beliefs and ideas - they wanted to make others mad. There were other violations of rules, but that was the most common, I think.
    I don't believe they desire to make other people mad, they can't help it. The attitude of an angry person is to try to convince you they are correct by being angry at you. They justify their positions with something like "people who act like jerks make the rest of us angry." They think their expression of righteous anger will convince others of the correctness of their positions. Obviously, mostly it attracts the same sort of angry response. Whereas you post with a interested and calm attitude.

But you are right, because part and parcel of being angry is to invalidate the other person.

On a slightly different note, I'm here because I had been banned from an ESL teachers' forum (Dave's Cafe) for discussing the philosophy of education and teaching, and not limiting it to techniques on how to teach the present perfect tense. I asked if it was OK to discuss philosophy and religion here, was assured that it was fine, as long as it was respectful, and have been here ever since. The days of the relatively great debates - lively and generally polite discussions between people who disagree - are mostly over,
    though.
    ESL are heavily immersed in the social sciences to get their certificates, at Snowflake University. In the social sciences - anthropology, sociology, psychology, etc. - you are force-fed the Truthъ (LOL) of the world - that man is an animal, he has no soul, etc. Discussion about or gasp! alternatives to, their dogma, is not allowed. That is why I do not take the mandated social science courses necessary to become a teacher, although I would like to be a creative writing teacher.
    Last edited by TheInterocitor; 16-04-2021 at 12:58.
    "Defund the Social Sciences." - Fantastika, 2020

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheInterocitor For This Useful Post:

Freud (17-04-2021), rusmeister (16-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by TheInterocitor View Post
    It's more like new members who might be off their meds or something, although right now there are no weirdo's posting. Actually most of the posters here are weirdo's (just kidding!)
    Every joke has a part of joke...
    All the world's Kremlin,
    And all the men and women merely agents

14. The Following User Says Thank You to FatAndy For This Useful Post:

TheInterocitor (19-04-2021)

I'm not into sports so I had never heard of that.
    had nothing to do with sports. Amphetamines. some to make you sleep in the evening. when you can't fall asleep because one is all turned on. and others to wake you up in the morning. because you run around like a zombie from all the drugs and drink for -last night-.

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    had nothing to do with sports. Amphetamines. some to make you sleep in the evening. when you can't fall asleep because one is all turned on. and others to wake you up in the morning. because you run around like a zombie from all the drugs and drink for -last night-.
    It just sounded like it was athletes doing it. Haven't known anyone personally that used drugs like that. Well, except maybe caffeine.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123