English Nanny        British Lyceum in Moscow
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: I got citizenship

So, does anybody by any chance know how long it takes for the "citizenship decree" to reach the local migration service once it's issued? Last week my brother got a letter in the mail addressed to me saying that my daughter was accepted into Russian citizenship, and that I have to go to my local ex-FMS office to get her birth certificate stamped. So I rushed to Moscow to get it done (because there's less than a couple of months left until she turns one year old, and if she doesn't get Moscow registration before that date we can kiss the Moscow payout goodbye), but the local MVD office says they didn't get "their" letter in the mail yet (apparently it should've been sent to them at the same time as my letter, but for some reason it takes loner to get to their office, even though it's only a couple of blocks down from my place) and it might take another couple of weeks.

So any clue how I can speed this up? Maybe they can stamp it at the MMC in Saharovo if I go there (I certainly wouldn't enjoy another trip to that place, but if it could save me the extra week or two of sitting around in Moscow, I'd do it), or the central office on Bolshaya Ordynka in the city? The local office says I can only wait for them to get the letter, but wtf on one hand they be talking about their "digital economy" and whatnot, and on the other they still rely on snail mail (or maybe even pigeon) for thins like these..

I'll bet you 10 Rubles you'll be wasting your time trying to speed things up by visiting Sakharovo or Bolshaya Ordynka. Wait two weeks and go back to your Migration Office to pick up the doc. It takes about two weeks to get the internal passport after that, last time I checked. Then, you register her in a day.

When it comes to citizens and especially infants, if the migration officials promise delivery of a doc in two weeks, it will get done.
    Last edited by xt-tsi; 09-08-2018 at 08:00.

Companies like DHL offer express delivery, and you can check the status of the letter live on the internet. Not a cheap service. But I would prefer to pay it than to waste half day going to Sakharovo.
    What does the office at Bolshaya Ordynka do? I never have been there.

Tiancai won't find the original document. It's internal and won't be released, especially to a non-Russian. He can't arrange to DHL it, even if he wanted to.

Bolshaya Ordynka is the Moscow head office of the migration service.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to xt-tsi For This Useful Post:

Max1982 (09-08-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by xt-tsi View Post
    I'll bet you 10 Rubles you'll be wasting your time trying to speed things up by visiting Sakharovo or Bolshaya Ordynka. Wait two weeks and go back to your Migration Office to pick up the doc. It takes about two weeks to get the internal passport after that, last time I checked. Then, you register her in a day.

When it comes to citizens and especially infants, if the migration officials promise delivery of a doc in two weeks, it will get done.
    Infants don't get internal passports, those are issued after 14 years of age, the citizenship stamp on the back of a birth certificate is all they need to do. But the problem is that once that is done, I have to do her registration which takes around 2 weeks (AND they take away not only the kid's birth certificate but also originals of the parents' passports, so I won't be able to go back to my country until it's done), so in total I'll have to stick around in Moscow for almost a month.

Right you are. Forgot that bit about the internal passport being issued at age 14. It's been 20 years since I got the most recent citizenship docs for my youngest daughter. My wife handled it and seemed unconcerned about documents getting done at the last minute, which always seemed to end up happening. She would tell me to cool my jets and then, I would. We managed to pull through unscathed. I realize that's little consolation for you.

How far from Moscow are you?

Quote Originally Posted by xt-tsi View Post
    Right you are. Forgot that bit about the internal passport being issued at age 14. It's been 20 years since I got the most recent citizenship docs for my youngest daughter. My wife handled it and seemed unconcerned about documents getting done at the last minute, which always seemed to end up happening. She would tell me to cool my jets and then, I would. We managed to pull through unscathed. I realize that's little consolation for you.

How far from Moscow are you?
    Well in our case, if we miss the deadlines, we won't be getting any cash from the gov't of Moscow (have to apply before the child turns one year old), which was the whole reason for applying for citizenship in the first place (we don't have any need for Russian citizenship, since we don't intend on ever living in Russia).

I live in Kyiv, which is not that far, technically I could go back and then come again to submit the docs, but they don't tell anyone else (I tried sending relatives to ask) if the citizenship docs are ready, and they don't answer the phone, so the only option is to go ask them in person, so I don't want to be hopping back and forth between countries just to ask a question. And once that is done and I apply for my child's registration (propiska), they will take away my passport for 2 weeks while they process it, so I won't be able to leave anyway.

Tough case. Irritating to go all that way, via Minsk if you fly. Good luck to you Tiancai...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to xt-tsi For This Useful Post:

Tiancai (14-08-2018)

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456