littleangels        English Nanny
Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: I got citizenship

I got citizenship

As posted elsewhere, recently I got Russian citizenship. A letter came to the address where I'm registered, dated six months and a couple of weeks after the day I (finally) submitted the application at Sakharovo. Pretty much no delay.

On Monday I showed up at my local multi-functional center and showed my notarized, apostilled and translated birth certificate, marriage certificate, pics and paid 300 Rubles. Filled out a short application. After all the docs were accepted I went to the "director" at my МФЦ and read the new oath out loud to him. It was pretty dramatic. Afterwards I was congratulated and we shook hands. No line and I was treated well. What a difference citizenship makes.

I got to keep my VNZh document until the internal passport is ready next Wednesday. Then I can apply for the загран passport and when I do, I will have give up my ВНЖ document. The загран passport will be ready about a month after I apply. During that month I won't be able to leave the country.

I have an ИП and I will have to let my bank know about my change in status from a permanent resident to citizen. This will involve filling out a lot of forms. I'll also need to tell the Russian authorities that I have US citizenship, as the rest of my family has already done.

On the 28th I will find out what kind of a pension I'll get and will be issued my pension card.

It feels great to say good-bye to the migration officials once and for all. After a decade of patiently wrestling with their bureaucracy, I can't say I'm sorry.

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to xt-tsi For This Useful Post:

americaninmoscow (18-10-2017), BelindaG (27-01-2018), Benedikt (18-10-2017), finnandcork (05-07-2018), Hans.KK (18-10-2017), Hizam4747 (08-03-2019), Indorus (04-12-2017), Judge (18-10-2017), pcrowley (06-02-2020), Salsero (18-10-2017), shysta (02-03-2020), Suuryaa (20-10-2017), Uncle Wally (18-10-2017), vossy7 (19-10-2017)

Judge is offline kiss my shiny metal ........
    Congratulations, you made it all the way.

To get Russian citizenship you gotta renounce your US, right?
    I know about about how people don't really do that , but the Russian side don't, so then when you go back to tell them you have both, they might think.....

All your information has been very useful, I'll start this process next year, hopefully..

Congratulations. You showed us that it is possible. Not easy, but possible.
    Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Thanks, Salsero.

It took five trips to Sakharovo. First trip I got the wrong instructions (for a fee!) and on the second try I got the right ones after submitting an incorrect form. On the third visit I learned I couldn't use отчество in the marriage certificate translation but needed to use второе имя for "middle name". On the fourth try I learned a stamp in my wife's passport was wrong, it said we were married in Washington State although we were in fact married in Oregon. She had to change her passport. On the fifth trip the inspector said I couldn't use второе имя for "middle name" and needed to show "отчество". Along the way I wrote down the name of each inspector and made them show me in writing what to correct. I also managed to get the name of the director who told me that having a "второе имя" is allowed by Russian law, which is true. This saved me on the fifth try when the application was at last accepted. I got to know Sakharova well and made the ruts in the roads a bit deeper driving there and back from my home near Istra.

Judge - Now that I am a Russian citizen, I have the legal right to dual citizenship. That right can't be removed because of any documents I submitted while I wasn't one.

When I started the process, I showed an inspector article 62 of the Russian constitution which allows dual citizenship. I asked why I need to submit a document giving up my original citizenship since I will have the right to keep it, under the law. The inspector said, that's the rule and you just have to follow it. And so I did.
    Last edited by xt-tsi; 18-10-2017 at 13:55.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to xt-tsi For This Useful Post:

breezy (17-11-2017), FatAndy (19-10-2017), Hans.KK (18-10-2017), Indorus (04-12-2017), Judge (18-10-2017), Suuryaa (20-10-2017)

Congrats!

One or maybe even two shots of vodka tonight will be for you, our new Russian! Cheers!
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

Congrats! As I will be eligible to apply for Russian citizenship next year. Will I have to start the process 6 months before my 5th year with residence permit or after my 5th and final notification? I already renewed my residence permit 2 years ago because of my US passport renewal so I have additional 3 years left on residence permit.

Judge is offline kiss my shiny metal ........
    Quote Originally Posted by Remington View Post
    Congrats! As I will be eligible to apply for Russian citizenship next year. Will I have to start the process 6 months before my 5th year with residence permit or after my 5th and final notification? I already renewed my residence permit 2 years ago because of my US passport renewal so I have additional 3 years left on residence permit.
    Eligible next year, why not now?

as far as i understand your PRP has nothing to do with your passport. once your passport expires, or six months before that that date, you order a new one at the consulate. with the new passport and the old one, which has all the stamps inside, you go to MMZ and they put a new stamp into your new passport. than you go back to your consulate with both passports. and there your old passport will be declared not valid anymore. ( that at least is the way it works with my, Austrian, passport).Theoretically you could use two passports. because a VALID document from another country in your passport is not being affected. even if your passport is out of date already. i had this situation for 5 month when i still was on the TRP. and had no desire to stand in the cold winter day at the local FMS... that was long before MMZ. i also had 2x left for Austria and returned with no issues, having and old and new passport.
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

Quote Originally Posted by xt-tsi View Post
    I got to keep my VNZh document until the internal passport is ready next Wednesday. Then I can apply for the загран passport and when I do, I will have give up my ВНЖ document. The загран passport will be ready about a month after I apply. During that month I won't be able to leave the country.
    That's not exactly true.There's a number of countries that you can visit on an internal passport. So say you even need to go back to your home country, this can be done by for example taking the train/bus to Kyiv (show internal Russian passport to the Russians and your foreign passport on the other side) and then fly to any country from there.

Quote Originally Posted by xt-tsi View Post
    As posted elsewhere, recently I got Russian citizenship. A letter came to the address where I'm registered, dated six months and a couple of weeks after the day I (finally) submitted the application at Sakharovo. Pretty much no delay.

On Monday I showed up at my local multi-functional center and showed my notarized, apostilled and translated birth certificate, marriage certificate, pics and paid 300 Rubles. Filled out a short application. After all the docs were accepted I went to the "director" at my МФЦ and read the new oath out loud to him. It was pretty dramatic. Afterwards I was congratulated and we shook hands. No line and I was treated well. What a difference citizenship makes.
    Why the birth certificate? I've never heard of anyone here requesting the birth certificate of an adult for any reason - just the foreign passport, which itself has the date and place of birth.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge View Post
    Eligible next year, why not now?
    I'm not married to Russian citizen, therefore, it's 5 years with PRP before I can apply.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Remington For This Useful Post:

Judge (18-10-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    as far as i understand your PRP has nothing to do with your passport. once your passport expires, or six months before that that date, you order a new one at the consulate. with the new passport and the old one, which has all the stamps inside, you go to MMZ and they put a new stamp into your new passport. than you go back to your consulate with both passports. and there your old passport will be declared not valid anymore. ( that at least is the way it works with my, Austrian, passport).Theoretically you could use two passports. because a VALID document from another country in your passport is not being affected. even if your passport is out of date already. i had this situation for 5 month when i still was on the TRP. and had no desire to stand in the cold winter day at the local FMS... that was long before MMZ. i also had 2x left for Austria and returned with no issues, having and old and new passport.
    I already renewed my US passport 2 years ago so it's already done. So the question is... do I apply 6 months before 5 year mark or apply shortly after my final annual notification next summer?

I'm not married to Russian citizen, therefore, it's 5 years with PRP before I can apply.
    Hate to tell you this, but applying using the "general" application system rather than the "simplified" system that people married to Russian citizens use is a completely different ball game and not in a good way. Your application has to be approved by a presidential commission, which is much more demanding. But worse than that is the internal unpublished requirements. At the end of the day, it is pretty much impossible to receive Russian citizenship without going through the one of the simplified systems unless you're a rocket scientist, sportsman etc.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kanga For This Useful Post:

FatAndy (19-10-2017), Judge (18-10-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    Hate to tell you this, but applying using the "general" application system rather than the "simplified" system that people married to Russian citizens use is a completely different ball game and not in a good way. Your application has to be approved by a presidential commission, which is much more demanding. But worse than that is the internal unpublished requirements. At the end of the day, it is pretty much impossible to receive Russian citizenship without going through the one of the simplified systems unless you're a rocket scientist, sportsman etc.

That's so last year.
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    That's a complete rubbish. I've seen many people get Russian citizenship thru the 'general' system.

I also have American university diploma with major in software engineering so I'm not a high school dropout or anything of the sorts. However, I do fit in the category of a rocket scientist.
    Last edited by Remington; 18-10-2017 at 23:17.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Remington For This Useful Post:

xp@ (19-10-2017)

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast