littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: Finding work in St. Petersburg

Finding work in St. Petersburg

I've been living in Moscow for the past 2 years... but now I'm thinking of possibly moving to St. Petersburg. What's the situation like there in finding a job for foreigners? Where can I search for current vacancies (besides hh.ru) - is there a specific St. Petersburg job site or expat site? I mean is there something like 'vacancies' on expat.ru but for St. Petersburg? Is St. Petersburg as big in demand for English speakers as in Moscow? Thank you in advance, any input will be helpful

Quote Originally Posted by mhelena View Post
    Is St. Petersburg as big in demand for English speakers as in Moscow?
    When you say "English speaker" what do you mean, English, and Russian speaker, or do you mean "English only" speaker?
    My impression is that from 2008/2009 the demand for foreign speakers in the work force is only going one way and it is down, down and deeper down.

Regarding agency's that match employer and employees, then there are a few that claim they do work with foreign speakers, but they make there money on finding employees for employer, not the other way around, so you can go there, fill out a lot of papers, papers they will file god knows where, and they will bombard you with .... silence.
    The best way is to find jobs is by personal relations.

It just doesn't seem like St. Petersburg has as many resources as here in Moscow in finding jobs and current vacancies (there's no platform there like expat.ru). Sure Moscow is the 'main hub' - but I just thought there would be a lot of job opportunities in St. Petersburg. But I don't sense this because even on the internet, there seems to be not be a lot of jobs advertised. I am foreigner (native English speaker) who speaks Upper-Intermediate Russian - I'm starting my search there but I was hoping if there was a specific website or any kind of recommendations in finding a job there. Maybe I just need to go there in person and meet people directly, instead of doing everything on the internet? Thanks