littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: Parking a foreign-plated car on the street in SP?

dave1234 Guest

Parking a foreign-plated car on the street in SP?

Hi all, I've been living in SP for about a year, and I brought my car here from the US. For the first 4 months or so I parked on the street near my apartment and it was fine, then over the winter some a-hole vandalized my car twice, at which point I moved it into a parking garage. I considered parking it close by but in a different neighborhood or at a friend's house to save the expense, parking garages are around 5000/month in my area of the city. I've also heard of foreign plates being stolen and the owners extorted for money to get them back, it happened to a friend of mine, I haven't had any problems though and have "high-security" bolts installed.

Anyway, I'm trying to get an idea of the likelihood of car vandalism in SP, in general. None of my friends own cars except for one which moved out of Russia, so it's been hard to get an idea of the extent to which it's a problem in the city.

Thanks

Judge is offline kiss my shiny metal ........
    Either live in a good building with a secured area,gated with cameras, or take off your plates every night, or buy a car with Russia plates. Could you put russian plates on your car?

dave1234 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Judge View Post
    Either live in a good building with a secured area,gated with cameras, or take off your plates every night, or buy a car with Russia plates. Could you put russian plates on your car?
    I could, but I really don't want to get Russian registration - it would cost more than the value of the car, plus I'd like to keep the US registration and plates in case I move back to the US. Also, with a really solid car I had shipped over here, I wouldn't be interested in buying a Russian-plated car.

I'm not too worried about plate theft, mostly vandalism. When I first got here, I kept the plates inside the car all the time (on the dash and propped up against the back windshield) - I was told it's not technically legal but I never had any problems. Mainly I'm curious about the likelihood of vandalism, as my friends really had no idea themselves, never owning a car.