littleangels        English Nanny
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Withdrawing > 10K Rubles From an ATM in One Transaction

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Moscow Orange Line, oh Yeah, I'm movin' on up!
    Posts
    1,349
    Thanked: 897

    Withdrawing > 10K Rubles From an ATM in One Transaction

    Has anyone found a bank that allows you to withdraw more than 10,000 rubles at once? I've tried a few and they all seem to put the limit at 10,000 or even less I'm trying to minimize my USA bank's withdrawal fees, since they will allow me to withdraw something like $ 1000 per ATM transaction. But if I withdraw 1,000 USD in multiple transactions those ATM fees will sure add up. Come to think of it, is there a way to withdraw cash from your card within a bank, with a teller? You know, using one of those card swipe/ PIN pad devices?

    I'm sure someone out there has withdrawn greater than 10K rubles at once from his/her American (/Western) bank account. Thanks for any help you can provide!
    I am fascinated by Russia, this country with frigid weather, hard souls, and hot girls!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    1,688
    Thanked: 671
    Try Alfa'Bank or Gazprombank; don't know about withdrawing from foreign banks but from other russian banks higher limits.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    St. Petersburg, Russia
    Posts
    1,677
    Thanked: 598
    Quote Originally Posted by nicklcool View Post
    Come to think of it, is there a way to withdraw cash from your card within a bank, with a teller?
    Yes, I am sure all banks do this service (for a fee, ask in the banks about how much).

    You could open an account in a Russian bank and then transfer you Yankee money to this account, then I am sure you can draw more per transaction.

    But there is a lot of homework to do about this kind of things, and there is only you to do it for you, you see, you and me will most likely get different deals in the bank because we are different kinds of costumer (from the banks point of view), what I am saying is: do not expect that the nice deals you may hear about on some random place on the internet is a deal you can get.

    Some religious community have that arrangement that members can pay money to the local church in one country (they look at the central banks currency rate and then convert the money to an other currency free for looses), and then an other member can "draw" these money in an other country (without fee).
    If your god is "cool cash" then the religious community for this religion is "banks", so bad for you if that is the case.

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hans.KK For This Useful Post:

    DiscoverLearn (21-08-2016), FatAndy (12-05-2016), nicklcool (12-05-2016)

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    There and back again
    Posts
    21,406
    Thanked: 3071
    Sber has no limits with cash withdrawals (well, maybe they have, but max per day I did was 200k rub). And they do it via operationist (for example with USD and EUR accounts, as their ATMs are only in RUB).
    All the world's Kremlin,
    And all the men and women merely agents

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    here,since many years
    Posts
    19,922
    Thanked: 4326
    Quote Originally Posted by nicklcool View Post
    Has anyone found a bank that allows you to withdraw more than 10,000 rubles at once? I've tried a few and they all seem to put the limit at 10,000 or even less I'm trying to minimize my USA bank's withdrawal fees, since they will allow me to withdraw something like $ 1000 per ATM transaction. But if I withdraw 1,000 USD in multiple transactions those ATM fees will sure add up. Come to think of it, is there a way to withdraw cash from your card within a bank, with a teller? You know, using one of those card swipe/ PIN pad devices?

    I'm sure someone out there has withdrawn greater than 10K rubles at once from his/her American (/Western) bank account. Thanks for any help you can provide!


    try Raiffeisen, though not the ATM-s they have a 10K limit. but in the bank at the counter. though charges will apply.....but on ANY ATM you can get around the 10K limit. be there 1 minute before midnight, and make the second transaction one minute after midnight...
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    1,688
    Thanked: 671
    I know Alfa allows ATM withdrawals of up to 200k at once, Gazprombank - over 50k but I don't know exactly what limit.

    Obviously no one can tell what specific limit would apply for your card/bank combination, but Alfa or Gazprombank are your best chances for ATM withdrawals.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Moscow Orange Line, oh Yeah, I'm movin' on up!
    Posts
    1,349
    Thanked: 897
    Thanks everyone for your help. I think the reason some of you are allowed a higher daily limit is because you are using that bank's ATM card (=you have an account for them). Otherwise, with a foreign bank card, it looks like the Russkies only front you 10K, in case you are trying to do some impossible version of ATM card check kiting

    So I will try a teller assisted transaction but if you can believe it, it looks like Western Unioning myself the cash from my American bank card will be the most time efficient (and cheapest) method of getting USA cash here to Russia!
    I am fascinated by Russia, this country with frigid weather, hard souls, and hot girls!

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to nicklcool For This Useful Post:

    FatAndy (12-05-2016)

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    There and back again
    Posts
    21,406
    Thanked: 3071
    Quote Originally Posted by nicklcool View Post
    with a foreign bank card, it looks like the Russkies only front you 10K
    It's counter-sanctions working!
    All the world's Kremlin,
    And all the men and women merely agents

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    1,688
    Thanked: 671
    Quote Originally Posted by nicklcool View Post
    I think the reason some of you are allowed a higher daily limit is because you are using that bank's ATM card (=you have an account for them). Otherwise, with a foreign bank card, it looks like the Russkies only front you 10K, in case you are trying to do some impossible version of ATM card check kiting
    In my case, no, I don't have an account at either bank and have been able to withdraw larger amounts at Alfa and gazprombank.

    But I haven't tried it using a foreign card. YOu may want to try checking with your home bank and see if they are imposing a limit, possibly specific to Russian ATMs.

    It could be the Russian bank, though, I don't know how that stuff works.

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    here,since many years
    Posts
    19,922
    Thanked: 4326
    Otherwise, with a foreign bank card, it looks like the Russkies only front you 10K, in case you are trying to do some impossible version of ATM card check kiting

    there is indeed a reason behind that... with my Russian card i can get from my account as much as there is in the bank account.....
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

    FatAndy (12-05-2016), nicklcool (21-05-2016)

  14. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Moscow Orange Line, oh Yeah, I'm movin' on up!
    Posts
    1,349
    Thanked: 897
    UPDATE:

    A bunch of Russian Banks' ATMs still only allowed 10K rubles - some, only 8k even. Raifhassen told me they do not limit ATM cards from dirty Westerners' banks but my US bank insisted that they allow up to $1K per day. Alfabank said the same, we do not limit withdrawals beyond the limits your bank imposes....and lo and behold, I was able to withdraw 32k rubles in one transaction!

    Thank you everyone for your help
    I am fascinated by Russia, this country with frigid weather, hard souls, and hot girls!

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to nicklcool For This Useful Post:

    FatAndy (22-05-2016)

  16. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    There and back again
    Posts
    21,406
    Thanked: 3071
    Quote Originally Posted by nicklcool View Post
    I was able to withdraw 32k rubles in one transaction!
    Well, for 1 day it's enough, if you make economy
    All the world's Kremlin,
    And all the men and women merely agents

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •