littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: Getting citizenship if living overseas

Getting citizenship if living overseas

Hi everyone,
    First I decided to get TRP here and then get my husband a permanent visa in Australia but ultimately Australia is harder to get permanent visa/citizenship so we have been going through that process first.
    However I do eventually want Russian citizenship as I consider it my second home living here for a couple of years on student visas and such. Is there any way to get Russian citizenship without living there permanently if married? Like, can I go through the trp>prp>citizenship route without always being in Russia? I presume you have to be in Russia for them to stay valid. We spend about 6 months in AU and 6 months in Russia so getting visas is annoying, I just wish I had citizenship already.
    Is there anyway to get trp/prp and then apply for citizenship in the space of a few months?
    Thanks in advance

You don't need to stay in Russia, as long as you've been married for 3 years or more you can get citizenship. You can apply for TRP, then leave and come back to pick up your TRP, then apply for PRP right away, and then leave and come back to pick up the PRP and apply for citizenship right after than.

Hi Tiancal,
    I am thinking of swapping my RVP for citizenship, though I am nowadays just visiting russia, married to one for 16 years. It seems the process is getting simpler. Any guidance? Would there be period where I'm 'stuck' in russia (this always bothers me but then it turns out not to be a problem.) . I presume that once you are granted citizenship you cannot enter or leave on a foreign passport so either have to wait for it internally or at the nearest embassy

I got Russian citizenship after having the RVP, based on having a Russian spouse. Once your application is submitted, it takes six months for citizenship to be granted. During that time, I travelled using my RVP and US passport. The RVP remained valid.

When you are granted RU citizenship, you apply for and get an internal passport, then you apply for an international passport; these two steps took me about two months if I remember correctly. I requested to keep my RVP valid during this period. The migration folks stayed yes and I was free to travel, again with my RVP and other passport.

So, in my case there were no restrictions on travel. The day I got my international passport, my RVP was revoked.

I'm confident this is still the process but check with your local multi-functional office just in case. They will explain how the process works. Trust, but verify.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to xt-tsi For This Useful Post:

Armoured (30-01-2020), BigBear (30-01-2020), FatAndy (31-01-2020), nicklcool (25-02-2020)

Moscow Orange Line, oh Yeah, I'm movin' on up!
    Quote Originally Posted by xt-tsi View Post
    I got Russian citizenship after having the RVP, based on having a Russian spouse. Once your application is submitted, it takes six months for citizenship to be granted.
    XT-TSI, can you speak more about how you applied for citizenship directly after receiving your RVP? Most of the sites I've been coming across say you still must apply for VNZh, before you can apply for citizenship, including this one:
    https://ufms-gov.ru/grazhdanstvo-rf/...erez-brak.html
    I am fascinated by Russia, this country with frigid weather, hard souls, and hot girls!

That was a typo made by myself. I got the VnZh, then applied for citizenship. My mistake. Needs to be corrected...not sure how. Thanks for catching it.

You are right. Here is the MVD site showing that the VNZH (permanent residency doc) needs to be shown when applying for citizenship, along with other docs.

https://78.мвд.рф/grazhdanstvo/prost

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xt-tsi For This Useful Post:

Max1982 (16-03-2020), nicklcool (25-02-2020)

There is a typo here, everyone. I got my citizenship based on the VnZH. Not sure how to correct this mistake. Anyone know how?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to xt-tsi For This Useful Post:

nicklcool (25-02-2020)

Moscow Orange Line, oh Yeah, I'm movin' on up!
    Thanks for clarifying, xt! Yeah, I just got a little greedy, wanting to apply for citizenship ASAP given this new, stricter rule that you must be in-country at least 183 days every year! 🤣
    But, OK, the process is the same as before - well, not quite; at least the last who issues my RVP at Saxarovo time me that I can apply for VnZH immediately- no need to wait! 😁👍🏻
    I am fascinated by Russia, this country with frigid weather, hard souls, and hot girls!

Nikicool, Yes, all true. I did that. Got the RVP and went directly to the VnZh. As soon as I had the VnZh, I applied for citizenship. It was a fricking marathon but I'm glad it's done. Glad the 183 rule isn't something I need to be concerned with.