English Nanny        British Lyceum in Moscow

Thread: New to СПб

New to СПб

Hi all although im not perminantly in st Pete at the moment I'm here about 7 months of the year hope to make the final move at the end of this year I've built a house here although not complete yet I have plenty of land in a forest plot close to горелово, so in the summer if eny ex pats want to make aquantance maybe shashlik and a cold piva let me know my email is gorelovo69@mail.ru

2. The Following User Says Thank You to glynjik For This Useful Post:

Uncle Wally (12-01-2016)

Judge is offline kiss my shiny metal ........
    Hi, welcome to the forum, good to hear you're trying to live the dacha dream, good luck with finishing your house.

The other day someone in St petes was asking about meeting up for beers, see here,
    http://forum.expat.ru/showthread.php?670861-New-in-SPB

I hope to retire the end of this year pensioned off, so far in the house is 2 dogs 2 cats 1 wife, outside 2 bunnies 4 chickens, we are a bit remote but its quiet. Dachni domchick

5. The Following User Says Thank You to glynjik For This Useful Post:

Uncle Wally (12-01-2016)

You have the whole lot, dogs, cats and chickens, fresh eggs everyday, even your pension will go much further now,cos of the exchange rate.
    Some people might find it strange, retiring in Russia, but with what you do and own, build a house on a decent plot of land, not so off the grid, be in peace and quiet,enjoying nature, have your own mini farm, as long as you like the weather changes here, it's not boring, better than sweating your socks off in let's say Spain or Greece ,of course, it's not for everyone...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Judge For This Useful Post:

Uncle Wally (12-01-2016)

Its deffo not for all very hard this time of year we have no mains elec yet no main gas no main water so generator wind turbine and solar water well and lots and lots of Drava spent a lot of my time chain sawing Drava but its cosy now 😀

9. The Following User Says Thank You to glynjik For This Useful Post:

Uncle Wally (12-01-2016)

It's sounds like you are off the grid, solar water well, I just Googled that, looks good, main thing is you don't have any bills,that's one big plus.If you have the space then wind turbines is the way to go.
    I did the same, chainsawing and chopping the drava all summer, I'm not so remote, in a very small village,nearest shops 8km.Same as you, still building, one cold day all will be built.

Quote Originally Posted by glynjik View Post
    Its deffo not for all very hard this time of year we have no mains elec yet no main gas no main water so generator wind turbine and solar water well and lots and lots of Drava spent a lot of my time chain sawing Drava but its cosy now ��
    Drava? That's my favorite vodka! I know many "hippies" from St Pete and if you have enough land for some tents we could have a mini music festival to help you. PM me cuz I think May would be the perfect time.
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Wally View Post
    Drava? That's my favorite vodka! I know many "hippies" from St Pete and if you have enough land for some tents we could have a mini music festival to help you. PM me cuz I think May would be the perfect time.
    I don't think he wants to turn is tranquil home into a hippie commune

Quote Originally Posted by Judge View Post
    I don't think he wants to turn is tranquil home into a hippie commune
    You don't know the hippies I know. Most are musicians or artist with very rich parents.
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Wally View Post
    You don't know the hippies I know. Most are musicians or artist with very rich parents.
    I know the kind, pretend hippies. ..I'm married to one..

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Judge For This Useful Post:

FatAndy (13-01-2016), Uncle Wally (13-01-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Judge View Post
    I know the kind, pretend hippies. ..I'm married to one..

Yeah that's just what I call them.

We are not exactly remote just abit off the beaten track wind turbine is useless waste of time and effort there's no wind here but it does make a nice weather vane ;-) if anyone is thinking of this life I recommend only solar for piter, nearest shop is only 1k I have my UK car here so no problems getting about only 5 dachas in the area. And 2 other permanent residences other than that in the summer just gribniki.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to glynjik For This Useful Post:

FatAndy (13-01-2016)

Get your guide! Free Walking Tours in Saint-Petersburg (English language)
    Enjoy the flexibility of having your own private guide to help you navigate and truly experience the wonders of St. Petersburg with a full-day tour and customized itinerary.
    Experience all the highlights of St. Petersburg with our private guide. Benefit from a special customized itinerary that takes you to Peter and Paul Fortress, St. Isaac's Cathedral, the Hermitage Museum, the Field of Mars, Summer garden, The Alexander Column and any other place you want to see.
    Everyday free Walking Tours for everybody!
    Check in in two ways:
    1. Write to us: https://www.facebook.com/TrueRussianVillage/
    2. Write to us sms +7-921-753-752-1
    16.00 - beginning of excursion on the square near The Kazan cathedral. Our guide will be dressed in orange T-shirt and he will be with broadsheet «True Russian village»
    18.00 - the end of excursion near subway «Nevsky Prospect»
    It’s a free tour for downtown. If you want to give a tips for guide - you can do it!

hi!are you still spending time in Gorelovo? We live not far - in Zarskoe Selo (in Pushkin) and brewing craft beer here-we are not expats but I have many friends from the US in Moscow (I was born in Moscow but a couple of years ago we decided to move to SPB and we really love the city. We are also in the process of building the house but in Viritsa. I'm looking for some native speakers who can be interested sometimes to meet in the bar in the center and to talk a little bit -kind of a speaking club) I have some students(mostly adults) who learn English and they need practice so sometimes we gather in a bar and discuss different things - in Moscow such meetings are popular and it is not hard to find native speakers there - we have a MoscowTimes newspaper and you can just find a note there each week about the place and time of such "conversation club" meetings. To make a long story short - I am looking for native speakers here who can be interested to take part in such meetings)of course it will be not free - maybe you can advise me somebody?