English Nanny        British Lyceum in Moscow

Thread: Changing name after marriage whilst on a visa

Changing name after marriage whilst on a visa

So I am on a study visa for a year with no plans to go back to my native country, Australia, (going for my temporary residency) and I'm about to marry my Russian partner next week and when booking the date at ЗАГС in Савёловская they asked if I wanted to change my surname, to which I said yes as I do want to. They told us after it was all booked that after we marry I have one month to change all of my details (passport, visa etc) which doesn't make any sense to me as in every other country I know of including Australia you can still travel on your maiden name documents until you get a new passport with your new name,and I don't see how Russia is able to change my surname/nullify my passport when it is up to Australia to do that.

Anyway, I wanted to know if what the person at ZAGS was saying is correct or she is erroneously assumed the rules that apply to natives with the name also applies to foreigners, and if so, if it is possible to change my surname to my husband's whilst being here on a study visa (Australian embassy said they can issue me a new passport in just a few days for free). We tried contacting FMS via email and phone and no one had any clue what we were talking about, so if anyone knows what to do/where to go then that would be much appreciated.
    Otherwise we'll just need to call ZAGS and say I want to keep my maiden name.

Thanks in advance!

Basically you change your Russian documents in Russia and you have to follow Russian rules, other documents you change at the right authority follow there rules.
    But there is a twist, your visa, it have to follow Russian rule, and you may need to have your Australian documents reflect your new surname to get that visa, so ...

Changing your last name is a bad idea in my book.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahliimah View Post
    I don't see how Russia is able to change my surname/nullify my passport when it is up to Australia to do that.
    They can't nullify your passport or change your name, but they can nullify your marriage if you don't come up with the right documents to prove that you have changed your name to match the new one that they will put on the marriage certificate -- simply a new passport probably won't cut it, you'll need to get docs from Australia confirming you name change, then get them notarised, translated etc. Don't forget if you get an new passport, you'll need a new visa for which you'll need a new invitation and then leave the country to apply for the new visa. In all dealings with bureaucracy, including the university, you'll need to provide proof of you name change from Australia etc.

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    Changing your last name is a bad idea in my book.

They can't nullify your passport or change your name, but they can nullify your marriage if you don't come up with the right documents to prove that you have changed your name to match the new one that they will put on the marriage certificate -- simply a new passport probably won't cut it, you'll need to get docs from Australia confirming you name change, then get them notarised, translated etc. Don't forget if you get an new passport, you'll need a new visa for which you'll need a new invitation and then leave the country to apply for the new visa. In all dealings with bureaucracy, including the university, you'll need to provide proof of you name change from Australia etc.
    Unfortunately the name change is essential evidence towards my partner getting a permanent Australian visa. But as I can't go home and get a new visa (getting a new passport is easy, I just have to take my marriage certificate to the Australian embassy in Moscow and they give me a new one for free) we will not change my name for now. Maybe once I get TRP I can change my name as it won't be based on an invitation or a visa?

The change-your-passport-in-one-month rule only applies to Russian internal passports, they can't invalidate your foreign passport. Even Russians don't have to change their passports (the ones for overseas travel) immediately after marriage, you can use one until it expires or runs out of pages (except if applying for Schengen visas as unemployed + sponsored by spouse, then yeah, your passport name should match the one on the marriage certificate). Basically, you can continue to use your current passport until your current visa expires, and then get a new visa in the new passport (but I'm sure FMS could also transfer your current student visa into the new passport right after the name/passport change).

Actually, I'm not sure how Australian passports work, but in some countries you can get the consulate to amend your passport with a "Also known as ..." note, in that case you won't even need to change the passport/visa). For example this is how it works for PRC passports, since the name on the main page can only be entered in Chinese characters and will be transliterated automatically by the system, if you're married to a foreigner it is impossible to have the foreign name listed on the main page, it can only be stated on the amendments/endorsements pages that the passport owner is also known as Mrs. so and so.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiancai For This Useful Post:

Hans.KK (16-11-2015), Uncle Wally (16-11-2015)