littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: investments in foreign stocks by Russians - taxes

investments in foreign stocks by Russians - taxes

My Russian wife has invested in foreign stocks through an international broker. What would be her obligations in terms of payments on realized and unrealized gains?

Fantastika is offline Temporarily banned (Sin Bin)
    She is Russian citizen, living in Russia, and not legal resident of another country?

a large part of this equation is missing. it depends on where she physically spent most of her time.

for instance, if she was in russia MORE than 181 days (i think), then she would be russian tax resident and would have to self-report @ around a 13% rate. But, if she was not in Russia for more than 180 days, then she, as a russian citizen, would NOT be a russian tax resident and would have to pay 30% tax.

of course, the rus gov doesn't have a mechanism to enforce most of this off-shore tax stuff, which is why cyprus is very popular.

Thanks for the comments. She spends part of her time abroad and in Russia. How would you calculate gains on stocks - only when they are sold? Is it possible to make these payments from abroad? I donīt understand how living in Cypurs helps Russians to evade the tax obligations. Does Cyprus not exchange tax information with Russia? Sorry for the amount of questions.

Quote Originally Posted by paulin View Post
    Thanks for the comments. She spends part of her time abroad and in Russia. How would you calculate gains on stocks - only when they are sold? Is it possible to make these payments from abroad? I donīt understand how living in Cypurs helps Russians to evade the tax obligations. Does Cyprus not exchange tax information with Russia? Sorry for the amount of questions.

No I don't think they do. Worry about when it happens.

Fantastika is offline Temporarily banned (Sin Bin)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Wally View Post
    No I don't think they do. Worry about when it happens.
    Wally, you are always talking about Big Banks. Cyprus is where the world's first "Bail-In" occurred. Wall street banks (Too Big To Fail) were rescued, in 2008, in "Bail-Outs". In the Cyprus "Bail-In," depositors were relieved of 40% of their savings - the government needed the money, and they simply confiscated it.

OP, I wouldn't even think about putting money in a Cyprus bank.