English Nanny        British Lyceum in Moscow

Thread: Documents and location question

docjohn is offline It is John. Eh, What can I do?

Documents and location question

I am planning on marrying a Russian citizen in the summer, late August. I was wondering if you guys could tell me when I should start the paperwork process to get married? If I prepared the marriage letter this month, would it still be good for use in August? Do these documents have an expiration date? Also, we are planning to get married in a civil service in her hometown, Barnaul, and have a church service in Moscow. Would I have to get the documents done in Barnaul or could I have everything done in Moscow, where I'm currently at.

Thanks!

if you are not orthodox

Quote Originally Posted by docjohn View Post
    I am planning on marrying a Russian citizen in the summer, late August. I was wondering if you guys could tell me when I should start the paperwork process to get married? If I prepared the marriage letter this month, would it still be good for use in August? Do these documents have an expiration date? Also, we are planning to get married in a civil service in her hometown, Barnaul, and have a church service in Moscow. Would I have to get the documents done in Barnaul or could I have everything done in Moscow, where I'm currently at.

Thanks!

forget about the orthodox church service, they don't do it. it was at least in our case and it was Moscow. though some years back. maybe with the new partriarch things have changed. wedding at ZAGS, suppose they will tell you when they have a free slot....
    when you want to get amrried at the ZAGS in Moscow, there is anyway one only, where all the foreigners get married. and i would assume if you are registered in Moscow it woiuld be a church in your district,. maybe a -contribution- for a new roof or a nice icon might let the Pappa oversee tha fact that you are not orthodox ( or i assume that you are not?).
    most important thing, the fee that you have to pay at the sberkassa. make sure you don't pay via bankomat or or other electronic media.and if yo udo, go to the bank and get the stamp ansd siganture of the manager on your paper AND DON'T LOSE OR MISLAY IT... I speak from experience. it is such a small chit, it gets lost between the wads of paper....
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

Listen to Ben.....ZAGS is the only way , I had a plan to do a comedy series about this as ours was just hilarious , the best day of our lives in fact .
    We have shown our CD to friends all over the world and I have had to pay people not to post it

Quote Originally Posted by vossy7 View Post
    Listen to Ben.....ZAGS is the only way , I had a plan to do a comedy series about this as ours was just hilarious , the best day of our lives in fact .
    We have shown our CD to friends all over the world and I have had to pay people not to post it

We got married in Russia as well, in my wife's home town and it was an incredible day. Although sometimes it was more of a comedy of errors which everybody laughed at.

However, there is one thing that really stands out from that day and I don't know if it's unique to that part of the country or is normal throughout Russia. One of the traditions of getting married in that city is that you had to cross over certain bridges and that on one particular bridge it was necessary for the groom to carry the bride all the way across the bridge.

So, there I was in my morning suit carrying my new wife in her wedding dress and walking across this bridge while all the cars in the wedding party followed slowly behind.

Meanwhile, cars coming in the opposite direction beeped their horns and they often slowed down and the occupants waved at us. I was later told a story - I don't know if it was true or apocryphal - that on one occasion the bride was so much bigger than her groom that he needed someone to help carry her across the bridge.

Getting married in Russia was just so different from any marriages I've seen in the UK.

Thanks!

Sorry, I forgot to answer the actual question.

when I should start the paperwork process to get married?
    Now - seriously.

Which country are you from originally as there are various different requirements? For example, if you are from the UK then there is a different process compared to if you are from the USA.

Yes, you would have to get the documents done in Barnaul as that is where you are actually getting married.

Quote Originally Posted by tonytony View Post
    Sorry, I forgot to answer the actual question.

Now - seriously.

Which country are you from originally as there are various different requirements? For example, if you are from the UK then there is a different process compared to if you are from the USA.

Yes, you would have to get the documents done in Barnaul as that is where you are actually getting married.
    Barnaul....now I am drooling......my favorite place ....Altai!

docjohn is offline It is John. Eh, What can I do?
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post

forget about the orthodox church service, they don't do it. it was at least in our case and it was Moscow. though some years back. maybe with the new partriarch things have changed. wedding at ZAGS, suppose they will tell you when they have a free slot....
    Well, considering I am Orthodox and a seminarian here in Moscow, the church service will be done by my spiritual father. So no problems there.

I'm American. I suppose the ZAGS process will be the same in Barnaul as it would be in Moscow? I can't get the documents processed in Moscow and show up in Barnaul with them? That would be great. Barnaul doesn't have an American embassy, so the marriage eligablity letter will have to be done here, yeah?

documents you can do everywhere

but register and get a DATE for your best day, you only can do in the place where you actually will get married. Because in Moscow they do not know which slots are available and free at the ZAGS in barnaul and vica verse. You also can pay here in Moscow at the Sperbank, just make sure you don't mislay the little paper.

we also took up there offer for limousine hire, to make a video, i mean these guys they do it every day, and know what to do. they actully made a video about 6 hours long, splicing in nice things about Moscow, that we did not see at that day. but it was nice for the family and friends back home. it is/was nice to have friends and relatives to help and offer help. but on THAT day we wanted no mishap....
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

I'm American. I suppose the ZAGS process will be the same in Barnaul as it would be in Moscow? I can't get the documents processed in Moscow and show up in Barnaul with them? That would be great. Barnaul doesn't have an American embassy, so the marriage eligablity letter will have to be done here, yeah?

I can't get the documents processed in Moscow and show up in Barnaul with them?
    No, you need to make the application in Barnaul

Barnaul doesn't have an American embassy, so the marriage eligablity letter will have to be done here, yeah?
    OK, so you are from the USA - you didn't say that before. There are different procedures depending on which country you come from - I believe that the USA is the only country that is allowed to do this. So, yes, that is the only thing that you can get done while in Moscow

I don't think it matters which embassy or consulate the letter is from, you might as well get one mailed to you from the States, as long as it comes from an official authority in your country and proves that you're single. My wife got a document from their equivalent of a ZAGS stating that she isn't married, and then I translated it into Russian and had the Russian consulate notarize the translation, then I took it to the ZAGS in Vladivostok (thankfully they were OK with this simplified procedure, the ZAGS in Moscow is really strict and would require the document to be fully legalized, the procedure for which would take like a month and be quite expensive).

Officially you have to wait one month from the date of application until you can actually get marred. There are some exceptions though where you can request an expedited marriage, but you need to bring proof (like a note from the doctor stating that the bride is pregnant, or a copy of your visa that is about to expire soon, or a ticket for leaving Russia soon), a ticket to Moscow might not be a valid reason in their eyes but you can try to persuade them if you don't have the extra month to spend in Barnaul. Or you can have your other half go there first and apply on your behalf, in that case you need to fill out the marriage application and sign it in the presence of a notary, then she can take it over there to hand in the documents and start the countdown, while you can travel there closer to the day of registration.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiancai View Post
    you might as well get one mailed to you from the States, as long as it comes from an official authority in your country and proves that you're single.

He can't do that as he's from the USA. Things vary depending on what country you come from.

Barnaul... nice ppl but terrible roads.

USA has only one embassy in RF. It is located in Moscow. USA also has consulates in Moscow, SPb, Ekaterinburg and Vladivostok. Barnaul isn't a village (800+ K habitants), but definitely not a candidate, Novosibirsk would be more suitablle.

As guys mention, let your fiancee contact local zags in Barnaul and take the list of docs/actions needed to register marriage with US citizen there.
    All the world's Kremlin,
    And all the men and women merely agents