English Nanny        British Lyceum in Moscow
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: divorce

Quote Originally Posted by Deana View Post
    Child only become citisen of russia with signature of both parents. If you don't sign, it don't become russian citisen.
    Are you sure that is still the case?

I know it was the case many years ago as we went through that process with our children. However, in 2012 Medvedev porposed changing this requirement so it was no longer needed:-

http://eng.kremlin.ru/news/3698

Does anybody know if these amendments were actually passed?

Molly,
    I think Jas has provided you with some of the best advices you can get anywhere but if you insist on going ahead with divorce then contact Peter Roudik. You can google him for more. He can provide you with more information than you ever need.

Peter Roudik
    Director
    Global Legal Research Center
    Law Library of Congress

<prou@loc.gov>

Quote Originally Posted by molly picon View Post
    I need to file for divorce from a Russian citizen, or at least get some good advice and information. I've posted about this before, here goes again. I'm American, married to a Russian man since 2004. I gave birth to our baby daughter in December two months ago in the U.S. I was living with my husband in Moscow when I got pregnant and left soon after, which he was not too happy about. He came to the U.S. a week before our daughter was born and spent two months complaining and accusing me of "stealing his child" before he went back to Moscow a few weeks ago. He kept saying he wanted a divorce, but I doubt he's done anything about it. He wants me back with him in Russia; this is not what I want, I now feel I'm better off just raising our daughter alone without him (it's a sad situation, but she really is better off with me). If he does file for divorce, will the Russian court try to award him partial custody? I just have no idea how this might work. I can file from my state, but I don't even know what I'm after- visitation seems pointless since he just does not want to come to the U.S., and I don't know how this would work if it was handled by the Russian court.
    The divorce procedure depends on where you would like to start it.

I have to confess that I am not an expert in American law (except for some contract law issues), however, I am a Russian qualified lawyer myself, so I can give a couple of tips.

According to Russian law, there are judicial and extrajudicial procedures. Extrajudicial does not apply here since you have an under 18yo common child.

Divorce claim must be filed to a court selected depending on the last known defendant's residence.
    Personal presence is normally not required but may be desirable in certain cases. Since recently, Russian procedural law has been allowing participation via "videoconference systems", but unless you speak Russian language well enough to participate in the dialogues (they are not completely consisting of legal speech, but still) it's a bad idea because it requires an interpreter to be involved in the process which, in turn, not only makes the procedure more expensive, but can also be far from good.

Expenses will definitely be lower at a Russian court, since lawyers' fees are not so high and are charged not on an hourly basis. Apart from lawyer's service charge, applicant's expenses shall include divorce fee (paid to the state), payments relating to sending documents and putting apostille on almost any documents that shall be provided and their notarized translation in Russia.

If there are no major disputes, one court session could be enough. A bit more shall be needed in this situation as father might claim his parental rights, so court must assess both parents' situation/conditions and consider which of the parties is better for the kid to be with.
    In about 95% of all cases kids will stay with their mom.

Please do not understand this as a formal advice - the post is for information purposes only. If you need any help/information, feel free to PM me - I could advice myself or recommend another person to work with here.

Molly, how are you and your daughter doing? Sorry for bringing up an old thread.
    Hope everything is ok and just wanted to say:

1. Don't listen to male chauvinist pigs here, they will always stand for a man and never for a woman.
    2. Child DOESN'T need a father to be happy. Especially if the child is as little as yours and don't actually remember the father and the divorce. Being a child of a single mother no way makes you a loser.
    I am a living proof of that, a daughter of a single mother, have seen my father just three times in my life, haven't been impressed, didn't miss him and just had a happy childhood with my mom, love her and think that she was 100% right when divorced with my father. I am not a loser, have a good education and good job.
    not being sexist - child doesn't need a mother to be happy as well. What is needed is one or more caring loving responsible adults, no matter if its mother, father, grandparents, other relatives or just non relatives.
    3. Russian men are terrible, childish, aggressive and arrogant. Yes, its true and you already have noticed it. Listen to the good advice Yaks gave you - don't ever let him bring your daughter to Russia and don't get there with her yourself - you seriously risk to never see her again. Russian courts act in favor of Russian citizens, and the fact that you are a mother might not help. ESPECIALLY because you are American. There is a law in Russia prohibiting an adoption of Russian children by people from counties with legal gay marriages. It might play a negative role for your rights for your daughter because USA is one of that countries.
    4. Don't consider Russia as a country to raise your daughter in. Its bad to be a woman in Russia - not as bas as in Somali/Iran/Uganda e.t.c. maybe, but worse than in USA. And its getting worse with every year. Russian society is getting more and more infected with deeply misogynistic and racist, almost fascist ideas, crazy orthodox Christianity and Islam, and just hate to other nations, especially westerners, especially Americans. If you don't want your daughter to adopt a feeling of being inherently inferior to men, to be brainwashed with religion, to be harassed and highly likely raped by her 21, if you want your daughter to have right for abortion, if you don't want your daughter to be abused and killed by her own boyfriend or husband - don't even think about living in Russia. Here around 14 000 of women are killed every year by their partners, and police doesn't protect abused women, as well as it doesn't protect abused children and you won't be able to do anything if the father of your daughter will abuse her. As i see from your messages - he is capable of doing this since he is obviously uncontrollably aggressive.
    You and your daughter are really much more protected and safe in USA, then would ever be in Russia. Stay safe, lucky and happy!
    Good luck to you, Molly and your daughter!

Quote Originally Posted by AliZK View Post
    Molly, how are you and your daughter doing? Sorry for bringing up an old thread.
    Hope everything is ok and just wanted to say:

1. Don't listen to male chauvinist pigs here, they will always stand for a man and never for a woman.
    2. Child DOESN'T need a father to be happy. Especially if the child is as little as yours and don't actually remember the father and the divorce. Being a child of a single mother no way makes you a loser.
    I am a living proof of that, a daughter of a single mother, have seen my father just three times in my life, haven't been impressed, didn't miss him and just had a happy childhood with my mom, love her and think that she was 100% right when divorced with my father. I am not a loser, have a good education and good job.
    not being sexist - child doesn't need a mother to be happy as well. What is needed is one or more caring loving responsible adults, no matter if its mother, father, grandparents, other relatives or just non relatives.
    3. Russian men are terrible, childish, aggressive and arrogant. Yes, its true and you already have noticed it. Listen to the good advice Yaks gave you - don't ever let him bring your daughter to Russia and don't get there with her yourself - you seriously risk to never see her again. Russian courts act in favor of Russian citizens, and the fact that you are a mother might not help. ESPECIALLY because you are American. There is a law in Russia prohibiting an adoption of Russian children by people from counties with legal gay marriages. It might play a negative role for your rights for your daughter because USA is one of that countries.
    4. Don't consider Russia as a country to raise your daughter in. Its bad to be a woman in Russia - not as bas as in Somali/Iran/Uganda e.t.c. maybe, but worse than in USA. And its getting worse with every year. Russian society is getting more and more infected with deeply misogynistic and racist, almost fascist ideas, crazy orthodox Christianity and Islam, and just hate to other nations, especially westerners, especially Americans. If you don't want your daughter to adopt a feeling of being inherently inferior to men, to be brainwashed with religion, to be harassed and highly likely raped by her 21, if you want your daughter to have right for abortion, if you don't want your daughter to be abused and killed by her own boyfriend or husband - don't even think about living in Russia. Here around 14 000 of women are killed every year by their partners, and police doesn't protect abused women, as well as it doesn't protect abused children and you won't be able to do anything if the father of your daughter will abuse her. As i see from your messages - he is capable of doing this since he is obviously uncontrollably aggressive.
    You and your daughter are really much more protected and safe in USA, then would ever be in Russia. Stay safe, lucky and happy!
    Good luck to you, Molly and your daughter!

Sorry but being an American father of a Russian son I can say you don't know shit. Russian courts 98% of the time favor the mother. If the child was born in America, the Russian father has no rights to his child. There is no way the Russian government could get the US government to turn over/ take away a child from it's mother. It is almost impossible for an American father to take his child away from his mother never mind from a Russian, or any other nationality even if you are both American. The mother would have to be pretty ****ing bad to get her kid taken away.

Molly I hope you have worked things out, but if not don't worry. 25 years is nothing and before you know it your child will not only love you but will start to take care of you. Congrats on the birth of your child! It is the ultimate goal of our life. The best investment we can make.
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567