English Nanny        British Lyceum in Moscow
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 57

Thread: I want to marry a Russian and get her a green card in the US, what's the best way to do it?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    3
    Thanked: 0

    I want to marry a Russian and get her a green card in the US, what's the best way to do it?

    Hi all,

    I'm new here. I've been reading some immigration timelines on the US-based site visajourney.com. I'm currently in Moscow on a work visa, and can extend it as I need, but I'd like to ultimately return to my home country with my girlfriend/fiance. Here's the main conundrum:

    Is it better if I go back to the US first and apply for a K1 visa to get her the fiance visa? It might take like 6 months.

    Or is it better to try to apply in Russia? I'm worried that it could take even longer!

    Any advice is appreciated. Thanks very much!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Wonderland
    Posts
    96
    Thanked: 0
    fishmael

    I haven`t had similar experience with women from third world countries but I have once read that the USA authorities are very suspicious of this kind of marriages and it usually takes very long time and money to bring MOBs in legally. You have to prove that you are able to maintain her there (your earnings should overtop certain threshold), lots of paperwork (implies serious spending on lawers) etc.

    Besides, you will be checked from time to time and immigration officers will ask questions like "Does your wife shave her armpits?" to understand whether or not you actually live together which is extremally disgraceful. At least it should be so for every decent man. Moreover, Russian women have bad reputation. Watch out - she may dump you once she gets her documents leaving you in the dust. Many people lost money, houses etc. I know as of now you are sure that it is not your case but women`s hypocrisy has no limits.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    afggxfgsf
    Posts
    745
    Thanked: 18
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmael View Post
    Hi all,

    I'm new here. I've been reading some immigration timelines on the US-based site visajourney.com. I'm currently in Moscow on a work visa, and can extend it as I need, but I'd like to ultimately return to my home country with my girlfriend/fiance. Here's the main conundrum:

    Is it better if I go back to the US first and apply for a K1 visa to get her the fiance visa? It might take like 6 months.

    Or is it better to try to apply in Russia? I'm worried that it could take even longer!

    Any advice is appreciated. Thanks very much!


    Despite what Snowdrift says above, I actually know quite a few happy marriages. I would suggest that some of those unhappy marriages he refers to didn't really have much of a solid foundation beforehand. If you have been living together here for a substantial amount of time then it is likely that you both know a lot about each other and know what you're getting into.

    I'm not American so I can't give you any specific advice. However, if the rules of this forum permit me to say this then I would suggest that you ask your question on the following forum:-

    ruadventures dot com

    There are quite a lot of Americans there who have either been through the process in the past or are currently going through it. I would suggest that you will probably get a lot more up to date and relevant help there.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Guess
    Posts
    14
    Thanked: 0

    pm sent

    Good day Fish,

    My Russian wife and I just finished that whole greencard process and she just received her card. A relatively painless, but expensive process. I'm messaging you with our experience.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Goteborg
    Posts
    6,523
    Thanked: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdrift View Post
    fishmael

    I haven`t had similar experience with women from third world countries but Moreover, Russian women have bad reputation. Watch out - she may dump you once she gets her documents leaving you in the dust. Many people lost money, houses etc. I know as of now you are sure that it is not your case but women`s hypocrisy has no limits.
    What about ure own fcking hypocrisy?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Wonderland
    Posts
    96
    Thanked: 0
    Jas

    What? My hypocrisy? What does it consist in? Explain.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    4,698
    Thanked: 1785
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdrift View Post
    fishmael

    I haven`t had similar experience with women from third world countries but I have once read that the USA authorities are very suspicious of this kind of marriages and it usually takes very long time and money to bring MOBs in legally. You have to prove that you are able to maintain her there (your earnings should overtop certain threshold), lots of paperwork (implies serious spending on lawers) etc.

    Besides, you will be checked from time to time and immigration officers will ask questions like "Does your wife shave her armpits?" to understand whether or not you actually live together which is extremally disgraceful. At least it should be so for every decent man. Moreover, Russian women have bad reputation. Watch out - she may dump you once she gets her documents leaving you in the dust. Many people lost money, houses etc. I know as of now you are sure that it is not your case but women`s hypocrisy has no limits.
    WTF....third world countries.........women's hypocrisy ......you really are a Neanderthal

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Wonderland
    Posts
    96
    Thanked: 0
    .third world countries.........women's hypocrisy
    welcome to the real world, boy!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    4,698
    Thanked: 1785
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdrift View Post
    welcome to the real world, boy!
    ....you really are a Neanderthal and I mean that sincerely !

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    12,269
    Thanked: 3432
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmael View Post
    Hi all,

    I'm new here. I've been reading some immigration timelines on the US-based site visajourney.com. I'm currently in Moscow on a work visa, and can extend it as I need, but I'd like to ultimately return to my home country with my girlfriend/fiance. Here's the main conundrum:

    Is it better if I go back to the US first and apply for a K1 visa to get her the fiance visa? It might take like 6 months.

    Or is it better to try to apply in Russia? I'm worried that it could take even longer!

    Any advice is appreciated. Thanks very much!

    Go the K1 route. I married here in Russia and was told it would take two years maybe three to get the wifey back to the states. At the US embassy I was asked "What are you doing here go back home" that was 20 years ago and I'm still here. While waiting the two years I started to like Russia after 5 we just decided to stay here. So don't marry in Russia if you want to take her back home quickly.
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    3
    Thanked: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Wally View Post
    Go the K1 route. I married here in Russia and was told it would take two years maybe three to get the wifey back to the states. At the US embassy I was asked "What are you doing here go back home" that was 20 years ago and I'm still here. While waiting the two years I started to like Russia after 5 we just decided to stay here. So don't marry in Russia if you want to take her back home quickly.
    That's unfortuante to hear! I've read that you can apply for a spousal visa in Moscow after getting married and it doesn't take more than a couple of months by doing this Direct Consular Filing process which you can find on visajourney( d o t c o m)

    Hmm I'll have to research my options further it seems.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    201
    Thanked: 13
    Hello Fishmael,

    Keep in mind that when a citizen of the U.S. gets married to a foreign person just so that person can bypass the regular immigration procedures the state considers it defrauding the U.S. government, and that is a felony in federal law. I'm not trying to sound like a knowitall, nor am I trying to scare you, but when you return to the United States, I wouldn't mention getting married just so your wife can get her green card. The U.S. attorney's office doesn't care if you love each other. All they'll care about is why you got married. ... OK
    I don't think it happens all that often, but it can't hurt to not mention it.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    12,269
    Thanked: 3432
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmael View Post
    That's unfortuante to hear! I've read that you can apply for a spousal visa in Moscow after getting married and it doesn't take more than a couple of months by doing this Direct Consular Filing process which you can find on visajourney( d o t c o m)

    Hmm I'll have to research my options further it seems.


    Do not believe that. I'll warn you that once you are married it changes everything. You could maybe marry here if 1. You have some contact in the US embassy here. Then will break/forget all the rules. 2. Write your congressman and complain then send a large donation/bribe to his favorite charity.

    Things could have changed since I tried but I don't think so. Your Russian wife is just that Russian and is less than human to the US embassy here. When you try to apply for a visa all they will see is a chance to to soak a good bribe from you.

    Let us know how it goes.

    Oh and it wasn't a misfortune I came and stayed in Russia, now I am so glad I did.
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Oregon, USA
    Posts
    402
    Thanked: 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Wally View Post
    Do not believe that. I'll warn you that once you are married it changes everything. You could maybe marry here if 1. You have some contact in the US embassy here. Then will break/forget all the rules. 2. Write your congressman and complain then send a large donation/bribe to his favorite charity.

    Things could have changed since I tried but I don't think so. Your Russian wife is just that Russian and is less than human to the US embassy here. When you try to apply for a visa all they will see is a chance to to soak a good bribe from you.

    Let us know how it goes.

    Oh and it wasn't a misfortune I came and stayed in Russia, now I am so glad I did.
    100% BS.

    Follow all correct USA immigration laws and there are no problems. US Embassy has always treated all of my Russian friends and relatives kindly and trying to bribe embassy staff is the only thing that WILL cause problems. (Visajourney is a good site and will give you all the correct answers)
    "We're all mad here."
    Cheshire Cat

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    12,269
    Thanked: 3432
    Quote Originally Posted by PJB View Post
    100% BS.

    Follow all correct USA immigration laws and there are no problems. US Embassy has always treated all of my Russian friends and relatives kindly and trying to bribe embassy staff is the only thing that WILL cause problems. (Visajourney is a good site and will give you all the correct answers)


    You don't bribe the embassy staff silly. You sent your "donation" to a charity of your congressmans choice. They then pay him for something or other and the circle is complete. You really don't know how America works do you. You have never marry a Russian have you? It is just like I said, once you marry it's all different so it's much quicker to go the K1 route. I have dealt with this embassy more than a few times and my first wife worked for one embassy here and I also had a friend who was the first secretary at an embassy.
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •