littleangels        English Nanny
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are you a patriot or a nationalist?

Are you a patriot or a nationalist?

Are you a nationalist or a patriot? What’s the difference? Well at first glance they may seem similar, but there is a major difference between what drives these two types of people. A nationalist follows with blind faith, while a patriot does what he or she does because it is right. The patriot will always love his or her country, but will not always love or even tolerate what that country is doing. A nationalist will not realize that what the country is doing is wrong, while a patriot will always attempt to stop the beloved country from doing wrong.

http://politicoid.us/nationalism-vs-...he-difference/
    If you're going to be dumb, you better be tough...

Quote Originally Posted by bydand View Post
    Are you a nationalist or a patriot? What’s the difference? Well at first glance they may seem similar, but there is a major difference between what drives these two types of people. A nationalist follows with blind faith, while a patriot does what he or she does because it is right. The patriot will always love his or her country, but will not always love or even tolerate what that country is doing. A nationalist will not realize that what the country is doing is wrong, while a patriot will always attempt to stop the beloved country from doing wrong.

http://politicoid.us/nationalism-vs-...he-difference/

So that puts you in the nationalists category.
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Wally View Post
    So that puts you in the nationalists category.

there is still a third one...

[QUOTE=bydand;1390877]Are you a nationalist or a patriot?

an IDIOT...
    who elected these clowns, knowing very well tht they arr up to not to much or even less good and competent. but thinking,well, what can i do. my one voice does not count anyway. so maybe i don't go to vote at all. and there are to many of these.....
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

[quote=Benedikt;1390917]
    Are you a nationalist or a patriot?

an IDIOT...
    who elected these clowns, knowing very well tht they arr up to not to much or even less good and competent. but thinking,well, what can i do. my one voice does not count anyway. so maybe i don't go to vote at all. and there are to many of these.....
    I don't think those people are necessarily idiots Ben. Maybe apathetic, maybe even uncaring...

When talking about nationalism and patriotism, one cannot avoid the famous quotation by George Orwell, who said that nationalism is ‘the worst enemy of peace’. According to him, nationalism is a feeling that one’s country is superior to another in all respects, while patriotism is merely a feeling of admiration for a way of life. These concepts show that patriotism is passive by nature and nationalism can be a little aggressive.

Read more: Difference Between Nationalism and Patriotism | Difference Between | Nationalism vs Patriotism http://www.differencebetween.net/lan...#ixzz3P5hGVcew

When talking about nationalism and patriotism, one cannot avoid the famous quotation by George Orwell, who said that nationalism is ‘the worst enemy of peace’. According to him, nationalism is a feeling that one’s country is superior to another in all respects, while patriotism is merely a feeling of admiration for a way of life. These concepts show that patriotism is passive by nature and nationalism can be a little aggressive.

Read more: Difference Between Nationalism and Patriotism | Difference Between | Nationalism vs Patriotism http://www.differencebetween.net/lan...#ixzz3P5hGVcew
    So what Mr. Orwell was saying was that'Nationalism' is the mental state of being Irish, and Patriotism is what the poor benighted non Irish feel toward the emerald isle, peace will only reign when the rest of yous work out that you all wanna be Mics. Simples thanks Mr Dandd
    The poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese.

Gilbert K. Chesterton

I would call this guy a patriot, and not a nationalist:

http://www.echo.msk.ru/blog/maxkatz/1475682-echo/

идея расширения влияния моей культуры и языка мне всегда нравилась. Я бы хотел, чтобы русский язык, как на посещенной мной Кубе, изучали в университетах большинства стран, чтобы из-за успешного развития России соседние страны стремились к улучшению отношений с ней. Чтобы из соседних стран и со всего мира люди стремились ехать к нам учиться из-за лучших в мире образования и системы управления. Чтобы стремились ехать к нам жить (не только из Молдавии), потому что у нас выше уровень жизни и производительность труда, а соответственно, и зарплаты. Чтобы изучали наш язык потому, что на нём идут лучшие в мире фильмы и написаны лучшие в мире научные работы. Чтобы ездили к нам лечиться потому, что у нас лучшая в мире медицина. Чтобы ездили к нам отдыхать потому, что у нас лучшая в мире инфраструктура для туризма. Ну и так далее. Для меня это и есть русский, российский или какой угодно мир. Именно так, по-моему, можно и нужно расширять своё влияние на мировой арене и именно таким русским миром можно было бы гордиться.

Именно такого мне хотелось бы для моей страны. Но происходит в ней сейчас не это.

The current "patriots" of Russia are mainly imperialists, dreaming about restoring USSR in its previous borders, fully or at least partially, there is a lot of nationalism there too, but I would say it is a mix of nationalism and imperialism, glued together by chauvinism, xenophobia, religion, racism and the former communist stink. Just my take on it, in a nutshell.
    There is a lot of nationalism in Ukraine, too, but it is a defensive nationalism, it is not sprinkled by imperialism. I find there is much less nationalism in Ukraine than in Russia though. They have their fringe groups, but in Russia they seem to be way more numerous and more widely spread, so much so that it has become a mainstream promoted on the very top level. It is a dangerous mix, a creature, a beast if you will, that will begin devouring its creator if not fed on a daily basis.

I would call this guy a patriot, and not a nationalist
    Yeah, agree with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Armoured View Post
    I would call this guy a patriot, and not a nationalist:

http://www.echo.msk.ru/blog/maxkatz/1475682-echo/

The last phrase is "bingo", in the piece quoted by you. Re-read it.
    All the world's Kremlin,
    And all the men and women merely agents

Quote Originally Posted by FatAndy View Post

The last phrase is "bingo", in the piece quoted by you. Re-read it.
    You mean "А пока мне стыдно."?

You mean "А пока мне стыдно."?
    No. In the piece quoted by you.

"Именно такого мне хотелось бы для моей страны. Но происходит в ней сейчас не это."
    All the world's Kremlin,

No. In the piece quoted by you.

"Именно такого мне хотелось бы для моей страны. Но происходит в ней сейчас не это."
    I suppose I'm being dense, but what is it you're trying to say? That this phrase is the key between nationalist/patriot, or some comment on the piece itself? (I did read it, just not sure what you're driving at...)

I suppose I'm being dense
    No, you just look at, but it's better to watch, collect information and facts, analyse and compare

That this phrase is the key between nationalist/patriot, or some comment on the piece itself?
    It's about blah-blah-blah of so called "poposition intellectuals". They want "smth good", but it should be done by somebody else. Not by them. Doesn't matter if they want to appear patriots, nationalists or other "-sts".
    Yes, it's about the article itself, not about bydand's claim as OP.
    Last edited by FatAndy; 19-01-2015 at 13:36.
    All the world's Kremlin,

It's about blah-blah-blah of so called "poposition intellectuals". They want "smth good", but it should be done by somebody else. Not by them.
    Now I can say read the rest of the piece:
    поэтому когда у меня появилась возможность, я занялся тут общественной деятельностью и уже три года пытаюсь с переменным успехом влиять на улучшение наших городов. Эта деятельность забирает у меня много времени и денег, но она мне нравится, и я собираюсь заниматься ей дальше.
    Author is a municipal deputy.

Your argument is, anyway, pretty meaningless. What basis do you have to say he wants it done by somebody else?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast