littleangels        English Nanny
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Temporary outage of the forum 14/1/2014

Temporary outage of the forum 14/1/2014

Dear all,

Happy new year to you all.

At Expat.ru, 2015 is to be the year of improvements. The main site will get an overhaul, we may move forum platforms, but first and foremost we are moving to a server/ISP that better meets our needs, especially when in comes to responsiveness of our website.

We are in the process of testing our new infrastructure and as things look good, we expect to move servers on Wednesday evening, 14th of January.

During our move, we will block the forum temporarily. This is to make sure that now new posts are lost. We apologise for the inconvenience, and we're looking forward to being on an environment that serves our needs (and yours) better.

The definitive date, time and duration of our "migration window" will be announced on Monday or Tuesday.
    We, the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by ezik View Post
    Dear all,

Happy new year to you all.

At Expat.ru, 2015 is to be the year of improvements. The main site will get an overhaul, we may move forum platforms, but first and foremost we are moving to a server/ISP that better meets our needs, especially when in comes to responsiveness of our website.

We are in the process of testing our new infrastructure and as things look good, we expect to move servers on Wednesday evening, 14th of January.

During our move, we will block the forum temporarily. This is to make sure that now new posts are lost. We apologise for the inconvenience, and we're looking forward to being on an environment that serves our needs (and yours) better.

The definitive date, time and duration of our "migration window" will be announced on Monday or Tuesday.
    Lost or not lost?

Great News Yozhik - Thanks for the hard work and the investment!
    Если враг в пределах досягаемости, то и вы тоже!

Any update on the planned outage?

Well, we tested our new server and the machine itself is fine. And the main site works fine on it.

However, we found out that migrating the forum is not possible, due to the PHP version on the new server: it's "too new" for our vBulletin version. Or, rather, our vBulletin version is way too old and the PHP version on our server, too.

So, as they say: the operation was successful, the patient died. So, we're not switching YET.

I'm not too unhappy, because the circumstances basically force us to finally perform a dearly needed modernization of the forum. So, when we move the forum, it will include new forum software.

Based on earlier suggestions by some forum members, we're now checking out PHPBB. It's free, powerful, and probably doesn't have a bad impact on functionality. As a second option, we are considering an upgrade to vBulletin 5, but it seems like exactly these kinds of upgrades made forum managers run away from vB and go for phpBB.

In the next two weeks, I may ask for volunteers to help me test the new forum.
    We, the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

This is pathetic. How come we got 2 suffer this every 5 minutes?
    Please don't change anything especially layout and colors and design cos I don't like changes and can't get use 2 anything what's changed. I hate when stuff changes.

It's a complete, racist, injustice, Jas. You should definitely ask for your money back.
    Shearing piglets for too much sqealing and too little wool.

no one noticed the typo?

Quote Originally Posted by AstarD View Post
    It's a complete, racist, injustice, Jas. You should definitely ask for your money back.

everyone is happy as cheese cake..
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

Quote Originally Posted by Jas View Post
    This is pathetic. How come we got 2 suffer this every 5 minutes?
    Please don't change anything especially layout and colors and design cos I don't like changes and can't get use 2 anything what's changed. I hate when stuff changes.

I like changes! Specifically sox and underwear changes.

Quote Originally Posted by ezik View Post
    Well, we tested our new server and the machine itself is fine. And the main site works fine on it.

However, we found out that migrating the forum is not possible, due to the PHP version on the new server: it's "too new" for our vBulletin version. Or, rather, our vBulletin version is way too old and the PHP version on our server, too.

So, as they say: the operation was successful, the patient died. So, we're not switching YET.

I'm not too unhappy, because the circumstances basically force us to finally perform a dearly needed modernization of the forum. So, when we move the forum, it will include new forum software.

Based on earlier suggestions by some forum members, we're now checking out PHPBB. It's free, powerful, and probably doesn't have a bad impact on functionality. As a second option, we are considering an upgrade to vBulletin 5, but it seems like exactly these kinds of upgrades made forum managers run away from vB and go for phpBB.

In the next two weeks, I may ask for volunteers to help me test the new forum.
    Yozhik, I have not got a clue what you are describing, but thanks to you and the Owners for the continued intent to keep us modern and alive

Did you take an extra sarcastic nasty pill today?

I know trolling makes you feel better about yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by TolkoRaz View Post
    Yozhik, I have not got a clue what you are describing, but thanks to you and the Owners for the continued intent to keep us modern and alive

Try young blonde women, same effect just 100 times stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Wally View Post
    Did you take an extra sarcastic nasty pill today?

I know trolling makes you feel better about yourself.
    I took three today. Watch out!
    Shearing piglets for too much sqealing and too little wool.

I took three today. Watch out!
    Only 3? I thought that you had over-dosed!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Wally View Post
    I like changes! Specifically sox
    You mean swapping between feet? :-)
    All the world's Kremlin,
    And all the men and women merely agents

Quote Originally Posted by FatAndy View Post
    You mean swapping between feet? :-)

Yes how did you know and turning underwear inside out constitutes change.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast