littleangels        English Nanny
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Russian Woman Says Charged With 'Inciting Ethnic Hatred' for Posts on Ukraine Crisis

Russian Woman Says Charged With 'Inciting Ethnic Hatred' for Posts on Ukraine Crisis

Here's an example of the 'freedom' in Russia some posters claim exist.

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/a...is/514044.html

For those in Russia, be careful what you post
    "We're all mad here."
    Cheshire Cat

For those in Russia, be careful what you post
    The moderators bear the ultimate responsibility for what is published here, unlike on our social pages, we posters don't have the ultimate control over what remains published and what is deleted (wink-wink).
    On a serious note, if this article is true (and it has been published by a rather well-established source), I wonder what sort of business/investments the authorities hope to have in this country if you basically can go to jail for reposting legitimate news sources of a different country, not even for expressing your opinions (which should not be a problem either). Wow. All this is chopping off at the wobbling ruble and, in the long run, damages the Russian economy even further.
    Last edited by Russian Lad; 05-01-2015 at 23:22.

fenrir

and what? I am tired of shallow stupid haters with their political delirium everywhere. I can post here loads of cases when people across the world have been charged with disrespectful comments/acts "inciting hatred" on the Internet or in real life. In fact, just because what they posted/performed didn`t fit the authorities` point of view.

Here's an example of the 'freedom' in the USA ALL the posters claim exist:

www dot theguardian dot com/world/2013/sep/12/florida-pastor-terry-jones-qurans

I can post here loads of cases when people across the world have been charged with disrespectful comments "inciting hatred" on the Internet.
    Please do. Say, for the US and Canada. We would like to compare. Is it illegal to post news from other countries in the US?

From your first link:
    A Florida pastor was arrested on Wednesday as he drove to a park to set fire to nearly 3,000 Qur'ans to mark the September 11 terrorist attacks. Sheriff's deputies in Mulberry, Florida, arrested Terry Jones, 61, and his associate pastor, Marvin Sapp Jr, 44, on felony charges of unlawful conveyance of fuel as they travelled in a pickup truck towing a large barbecue-style grill filled with Qur'ans soaked in kerosene.

Jones had said he was heading to a nearby park to burn 2,998 Qur'ans – one for every victim of the 2001 attacks. Sheriff's officials said that Jones was also charged with the unlawful open-carry of a firearm and that Sapp faced a charge of having no valid registration for the trailer.
    Doesn't it mean some action was actually involved? I think your first try has been rather lame. But you are welcome to keep trying.

Already done, sir. In case you want more:

Toronto Man Charged With Inciting Hatred Toward Muslims

www dot wrmea dot org/1997-october-november/canada-calling-toronto-man-charged-with-inciting-hatred-toward-muslims.html

Ok, see my response above. From your second link:
    published and distributed pamphlets through his organization
    It tells us he was distributing it through an organization. A personal social network page is hardly an organization. Besides, no hatred from this woman is mentioned in the article, not a single hatred quote. Just to be clear, it is not Fenrir who wrote and published the article. Fenrir just posted a link to it.

Russian Lad

My example is perfectly valid and in line with what I wrote. What if someone just wants to burn Qurans? Where is the freedom? I strongly suspect that you "see" difference only when it comes in handy for you. Usual double standards. I am not surprised whatsoever. Go ahead, boy.

America Is Biased!!!

Yep it's true folks. We don't let people drive through cities towing BBQs filled with enough flammable liquid to blow up/set fire to a 3 story building. And even more shocking is we don't let them set this fire bomb off in a public park!

So don't come to America if you want to actually harm people here.

P.S. Snowdrift, the reason this thread was started is because some of us who live/have lived in Russia mourn the loss of the freedom of the speech that we were used to there. But since you are not unhappy with the possibility of being arrested for watching/writing whatever political views you want on the internet, you are still free to voice your opinion (until there comes a law that prevents that too)
    "We're all mad here."
    Cheshire Cat

My example is perfectly valid and in line with what I wrote. What if someone just wants to burn Qurans? Where is the freedom?
    It is surely in line with what you wrote and with what you think, but it is not in line with the case here in Russia we are discussing - there was NO action from this woman, she didn't even mention any malevolent intent.

Russian Lad

It was back in 1997. The Internet wasn`t so great as it is now, so the guy used phones and pamphlets. And that organization describes itself as "self-supporting group of Christian soldiers" - which 99% means just a group of friends or people interrelated on other personal grounds - relatives, neigbors and so forth.
    Last edited by snowdrift; 06-01-2015 at 00:55.

It was back in 1997. The Internet wasn`t so great as it is now, so the guy used phones and pamphlets.
    Again, a personal page on Internet is not an organization.
    By the way, I entirely agree with you that some Western countries can do better and can improve the freedom of speech - but here we are discussing one specific episode in a specific country which happens to be Russia. Otherwise we may as well remember that the Americans lynched the blacks and killed many Indians.

So don't come to America if you want to actually harm people here.
    In fact, America is full of people who hate...America. It is too late - you have already let them in

P.S. Snowdrift, the reason this thread was started is because some of us who live/have lived in Russia mourn the loss of the freedom of the speech that we were used to there.
    What happened? Did anybody ban you from speaking your personal opinion?

Lad, again, his "organization" is not more than an Internet page in terms of 2015.

In the UK people can even tip the police as for "hate material"

www report-it org.uk/reporting_internet_hate_crime

Katie Hopkins 'racist' Glasgow Ebola victim tweets examined by police

www independent.co.uk/news/people/katie-hopkins-racist-glasgow-ebola-tweet-examined-by-police-9951781.html

And as to that woman - I think we are told just a half of the story. But it never bothers modern journalists.

What happened? Did anybody ban you from speaking your personal opinion?
    It is a good question. Let me try to answer - imagine the three of us are standing on the edge of a steep cliff. I push the first guy off the cliff for no apparent reasons at all, he is falling, screaming and crashing on the stones below. Then I look at you, you are terrified. And I tell you: What happened? Did anybody push you off the cliff or what?
    Would you accept that? Something tells me you would either run away, scream for help or fight me or something else. But I doubt you would say: -Ah, don't bother, it is all fine.

And as to that woman - I think we are told just a half of the story. But it never bothers modern journalists.
    This story would seem implausible just a year ago, everyone would take it for the April-1st joke, including me. Nowadays somehow it looks VERY plausible. Is it the fault of journalists? I strongly doubt it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast