littleangels        English Nanny
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheese in Moscow supermarkets. Are there any from Russia or Belarus that taste good?

Cheese in Moscow supermarkets. Are there any from Russia or Belarus that taste good?

Due to sanctions, there are less European cheese available. This is making my shopping trips more difficult as I need to discover new alternatives to what I bought before.

I am not talking about fancy soft Brie or Camembert or aged English Cheddar. I'm referring to the type of cheese I would use on a regular basis for a breakfast "butterbrod" At least in the pre-sanction days it was possible to buy reasonably priced German or Dutch Tilster, Gouda or Edem as well as Danish Havarti and Finnish Oltermanni, none of them were anything special, however they were palatable enough. The problem is that I have never liked the taste of any Russian or Belorussian cheeses I have tried....to me they have a rubbery consistency and a bland (almost nothing taste).

As I have had a bad experience with cheeses from Russia and Belarus, I have not tried any new varieties. Lately I have been purchasing La Paulina (Argentina) and also some cheeses from Uruguay; they have been tasty enough for me to purchase again, however they are more expensive than the now unavailable European cheeses I wrote about (above).

Has anyone found any tasty Russian or Belorussian cheese and or any foreign cheeses that are reasonably priced?

we use them since many years...

Has anyone found any tasty Russian or Belorussian cheese and or any foreign cheeses that are reasonably priced?[/QUOTE]

don't know where you go shopping but have a look at the ALIYA PARUSA chain. Plenty of cheese there, both local and import.and plenty of it. fair enough, for a price.
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

Don't buy there. After Azbuka Vkuza it has some of the highest prices in Moscow

Quote Originally Posted by Moskvazayets View Post
    Has anyone found any tasty Russian or Belorussian cheese and or any foreign cheeses that are reasonably priced?
    http://lamber.eda.ru/about/ - in Perekrestok chain.
    See Swiss cheeses there as well, as they're not under sanctions.
    All the world's Kremlin,
    And all the men and women merely agents

Judge is offline kiss my shiny metal ........
    I haven't tried it yet, I've heard mozzarella is being made in Kaluga..

Regarding Belorussian cheeses can say nothing, besides their rigid goat cheese sold in AV is quite OK, but the price is also... impressive
    All the world's Kremlin,

i want quality, i am prepared to pay

Quote Originally Posted by Delta268 View Post
    Don't buy there. After Azbuka Vkuza it has some of the highest prices in Moscow

I want sausages with meat. and not with skin and chopped up bungholes. for that I have no problem to pay 5/600 rubles a kilo.I know the people there, I am a regular, we can order things there that are NOT in the counters. -my- shop is around the corner, walking distance. i also count my time. and driving around 2h to get it and run around 3h and wait another 2h at the check out, is not for me.
    i want salad that is FRESHLY delivered and not wilting. i want soft avocados that i can eat today and not after a week ripening at home. when going shopping i have my priorities set. i am a Chef, know what i want and don't want. AP has their own bakery and butchery.
    BUT they also have the white bread for 22 rubles a loaf and the gov. subsidised Borodino.
    AP are CUSTOMER orientated. the cashiers are always friendly. and i never have heard -this is not my section-. - i don't know, i only work the first day-,or - i am going to lunch, come back later or ask a colleague-.
    i am a regular there, i know when a special is a REAL special, or a special ordered cheap product, sold for a minimum discount, but marked down fantastically. i don't fall for this. 70% discount does not work.
    the place is always clean, nothing smells, only in the morning the fresh bread from the bakery...
    i am plugging anyone or anything on the site here. but when asked i answer to what i like, where i get the best possible products nd service. and that is AP for me.

Cheese

So is La Paulina (Argentina) the best choice for reasonably priced cheese that is edible or are there some other alternatives?

Lamber was mentioned as being OK by another poster. Anyone else like Lamber?

I am referring to hard cheese here actually I am fine with the Russian soft cheeses like Suluguni, Brinza, Adegeysky. It the hard cheeses from Russia and Belarus that taste like rubber that I can't stand...

Any other Russian, Belarussian or (reasonably priced) foreign cheeses that don't have the rubbery consistency and taste?

WIKI IS YOUR HELPER...

Any other Russian, Belarussian or (reasonably priced) foreign cheeses that don't have the rubbery consistency and taste?[/QUOTE]

click on -Russia- and you get a pic and the Russian name. so you can look it up the next time in your supermarket.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cheeses#Russia

Cheese Wiki

Thanks Ben,

I did look at the Wiki before, however I don't want to try all the Russian and Belarussian cheeses before I find 1 or 2 that may be good and not bland and rubbery...My experience with these cheeses has not been good so far...

Seeing as you are a food expert (Chef) can you advise as to some Russian and or Belarussian cheeses that you have tried that actually would taste good in a breakfast sandwich ?

asking my personal preferences....

Seeing as you are a food expert (Chef) can you advise as to some Russian and or Belarussian cheeses that you have tried that actually would taste good in a breakfast sandwich ?[/QUOTE]

I personally don't like the Emmental/Gouda/Gruyere types of cheese. overpriced, overrated, overvalued, over eaten.(me at least)

But anything that comes from KOSTROMA, types like Tilsit, is very good. aromatic and not like leather.

I don't buy by brand, but what i like, even if it is a -no name-. but when i go shopping today, i will have a look out specifically for Russian and Belarus or other local cheeses.

most of local cheese you can get pre-sliced in small amounts. look at the deli counter and buy. and keep the one you like.

I/we love at home SULUGUNI, while it is original Georgian, it is also made in -Russia-. and special, the smoked variety.

and what I like very much and for that I will get crucified I know. -Kolbasnaya cyr-. it is a sort of -melted cheese mix-, smoked, looks like a thick polony. but it can not be spread, only sliced. it also does not melt so i do not use it for gratinating things. but check out the price (not the company) there is stuff around for 100 rubles a kilo. or for 300....
    try at the supermarket the sliced varieties, a few slices at first. and then pick the one you like. Again, I buy at Aliye Parusa, not the cheapest but convenient for me, because they are around the corner.

I also do my own cottage cheese with
    Paprika (Kotanyi sweet)
    chopped pickles
    chopped parsley
    chopped garlic
    chopped capers
    black Kostroma Salt
    White ground pepper
    a spread, and we eat that, spread thickly, on fresh baked bread.

also made in Russia, a Tilsit type of cheese, one is green flavored with lots of green basil. the other is -red-, flavored with chopped red basil.

I like very much CHOUGAS a cheese from Latvia, like parmesan, but of course, for trademark reasons can not be called that. it is not that hard and can be nicely sliced.

These are my personal preferences. what we use at work is another story.
    Last edited by Benedikt; 30-12-2014 at 08:18.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

MisterSwiss (09-12-2017)

attached a few pics and prices

these are all cheeses from Russia, Belarus and Lithuania. ( their products are not sanctioned...)

all cheeses come from one of the -economic class- supermarkets, Perekrestok, out here in Strogino. But the saleslady said, every other store has the same assortment with the same prices.

You will never find a local made =Emmental, Tilsiter, Parmesan and Feta= they got the trademark registered and the spies are around. that no local factory calls their product Emmental or feta or the like......Though Roquefort or d'Or Bleu, Camembert or Brie is not a registered trademark and you can also find them locally made.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

MisterSwiss (09-12-2017)

Benedikt, this is really great what you've posted, maybe you can also mention what types of sausage you prefer and avoid?

ok,lets make it this way

Quote Originally Posted by Tom2623 View Post
    Benedikt, this is really great what you've posted, maybe you can also mention what types of sausage you prefer and avoid?

I do not want to annoy or offend anyone. everyone has their own preferences, and wallet/budget. we have ours. I rather have things a little bit less often, but the quality.

I do not go by brand name or pretty packing. even the best and most expensive sausage producers make -economic- products. with ingredients, or the lack of it, and the price to match.

I do not buy Kampomos. they do mainly chicken products. but for sure no MEAT is in the sausages...

I do not buy where it says =MO= in between or before or after the meat. =pink slime= comes to my mind. if you do not know what is =MO= use Google, it takes too long to explain here...

I do not buy where it says =water= as the second ingredient.

I do not buy anything that is stuffed into plastic skins. only natural intestines. that is for sausages and Sardelki (Knackwurst/Knockwurst)

i only buy where is says pork MEAT and beef MEAT as ingredient (skin, spleen and bungholes are also pork/beef and being used...)
    it does not matter which meat as such. it is obvious not tenderloin or striploin will be made into sausages. so it might ahve the words shoulder or belly, also =spek=,which is fine with me. sausages do need fat, otherwise they will be dry.

all the rest, there will be a few =E=, some =spice mix=, some fixators and of course Nitrate/Nitrite. it is needed to give the stuff a taste and they will not spoil and one gets food poisoning.

anything that is under 400 rubles is to be seen suspicious. the best quality Frankfurter/Vienna Sausages, long and thin and sold in pairs, as they are supposed to be, cost 600 rubles in my favorite supermarket, Aliya Parusa.

sausages by the way you never heat up in the microwave. they will lose liquid. that is the principle behind zapping food in the idiot box. and the sausages will be hard, dry and leathery.you simmer them in lightly salted water.
    and if you have raw sausages, you blanch them first. that is, put them into simmering water, not boiling this time, and cook them slowly for about 5 minutes. refresh them und cold water, pat them dry. and then you can grill of fry them. they will not shrivel or shrink or pop open and spray you with hot juice/water.

if you want, by the way, both Auchan and Aliya Parusa have quite good RAW chicken sausages. worth a try. though it was not for me. I want SCHWEIN in my WURST!
    with HAAS hot Russian Mustard! or freshly grated horeseradish.

and remember the old Russian proverb: out of sh**t one cn not make chocolate.
    Same is true for sausages as well.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

MisterSwiss (09-12-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    I want SCHWEIN in my WURST!
    with HAAS hot Russian Mustard! or freshly grated horeseradish.
    Und ein Grossbier!!!
    All the world's Kremlin,

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast