littleangels        English Nanny
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cheese in Moscow supermarkets. Are there any from Russia or Belarus that taste good?

another waz to get good cheese

Quote Originally Posted by HamptonHouse View Post
    Great to see that things are developing here!

www.bogdarnya.ru. they do delivery. but since we/they are out from moscow, 130 km, there is a minimum order of 4000 rubles. transport is also a factor. and no one is coming for 1 kgr cheese to town. we/they also have FRESH milk, Kefir and Yogurt. Plus farm raised beef. if/when you are 3 or 4 people together, 4000 rubles is nothing.
    we/they have an additional cheese maker now, an italian lady. check in for sure often, it will be exiting.

i/we also got a smoke and drying-curing house built, so Salami and Biltong will be on the site soon....

i hope admin does not mind a little self promotion on MY part
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

Cheese that has been aged 90 days "Brest-Litovsk Vyderzhany"

I finally found a really good cheese from Belarus. It is aged for 90 days and called "Brest-Litovsk Vyderzhany" available in Billa and not expensive.

Here is a link from the producers website:

http://savushkinproduct.com/brands/b...og/49_193.html

Moskvazayets

[QUOTE=Benedikt;1403056]The "parmesan" is soft, the home-grown edam is tasteless and the smoked stringy stuff is disgusting.

check out these cheeses-
    www.ichalki.ru

PARMEZAN (with z) because the Italians have protected their trademark, so there is only italian Parmesan around. and as you maybe know, italian parmesan aged only 6 month is also soft. only parmesan aged 12 to 24 months is hard....

Ben , I have been using this for cooking with, made in Sverdlovsk 200 Rubles, really hard to tell the difference when it is in a cheese sauce , add it to Bechamal for lasagna , in a carbonara . I use my Italian for shavings et al.
    “You don't love someone for their looks, or their clothes, or for their fancy car, but because they sing a song only you can hear.”
    ― Oscar Wilde

-Parmesan- is only a protected name and brand

[QUOTE=vossy7;1422433][QUOTE=Benedikt;1403056]The "parmesan" is soft, the home-grown edam is tasteless and the smoked stringy stuff is disgusting.

one thing is for sure, local producers like to jump on the band wagon and make money. parmesan has to age not less than 6 month. 24+ is the best. but that takes time and money to invest into cellars, storage space, coolers for summer, heaters for winter. and that is a MILLION investment, and not everyone has it.
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

Quote Originally Posted by Moskvazayets View Post
    Has anyone found any tasty Russian or Belorussian cheese and or any foreign cheeses that are reasonably priced?
    Try Rossiysky (Российский) - wherever I bought it, it proved to be up to the mark.
    Перешагни, перескочи,
    Перелети, пере- что хочешь -
    Но вырвись: камнем из пращи,
    Звездой. сорвавшейся в ночи...
    Сам затерял - теперь ищи...
    (Вл.Ходасевич)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123