littleangels        English Nanny
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23

Thread: An English Dad In Moscow

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    13
    Thanked: 0

    An English Dad In Moscow

    An eBook from a popular blog now an eBook from Amazon. It can be downloaded to Kindle, iPad or a computer.

    The book is full of information looking at the funny side of life for anyone who moves to Moscow as an expatriate or parent. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/An-English-Dad-In-Moscow-ebook/dp/B00M00ZY6S"]Amazon.com: An English Dad In Moscow eBook: Jay May: Kindle Store@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41tDP%2B4Fx2L.@@AMEPARAM@@41tDP%2B4Fx2L[/ame]
    An English Dad In Moscow An eBook from Amazon
    http://www.amazon.com/An-English-Dad-In-Moscow-ebook/dp/B00M00ZY6S

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    7
    Thanked: 0

    Great e-book!

    This is a very entertaining read and is a great way to gain perspective on life in Moscow from the views of an actual ex-pat. For anyone moving, or thinking of moving to Russia, this book is an absolute must. I highly recommend it!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    here,since many years
    Posts
    20,104
    Thanked: 4382

    you had to pay for the -water machine-?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scribble View Post
    An eBook from a popular blog now an eBook from Amazon. It can be downloaded to Kindle, iPad or a computer.

    The book is full of information looking at the funny side of life for anyone who moves to Moscow as an expatriate or parent. Amazon.com: An English Dad In Moscow eBook: Jay May: Kindle Store


    never knew that. I thought the coolers were for hire and you pay for the water? fair enough, the machines were are free only if you take a certain amount of water each week.
    interesting and funny read. but for someone who was teaching English quite a few mistakes (typo's?) grammatically and otherwise.
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    7
    Thanked: 0
    The water situation was a first hand account and the author mentions there could be typos in the book.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    4,698
    Thanked: 1786
    Got to admire the guy , we all have this book in us , we read it ever day on Expat.ru....and other, unmentionable ,forums ......, but we just don't put it all together like he has . Reading the intro I feel myself saying , no way it's not like that ....if you do it this or that way......but in reality a lot of what he says is basically right. I enjoy his viewpoint from a SAHD as I have never been one , kudos!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    13
    Thanked: 0
    Cheers guys. See here http://youtu.be/2r4FbkxjPfo YouTube channel.
    Last edited by Scribble; 14-11-2014 at 14:06. Reason: Technical
    An English Dad In Moscow An eBook from Amazon
    http://www.amazon.com/An-English-Dad-In-Moscow-ebook/dp/B00M00ZY6S

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    7
    Thanked: 0
    Will definitely check it out, thanks!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    13
    Thanked: 0

    New edition

    An English Dad In Moscow has been republished due to popular demand. Find it here: http://www.amazon.com/An-English-Dad.../dp/B00M00ZY6S
    An English Dad In Moscow An eBook from Amazon
    http://www.amazon.com/An-English-Dad-In-Moscow-ebook/dp/B00M00ZY6S

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Russia
    Posts
    7,974
    Thanked: 891
    I picked it up.
    It has lots of useful info, like a Rough Guide, but undercuts itself with the poor English and bad editing. It's a mixed bag. If you don't mind wading through the errors and low style, it can be helpful, I think.
    But as something I pay money for, I wouldn't buy another book from the author.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    13
    Thanked: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by rusmeister View Post
    I picked it up.
    It has lots of useful info, like a Rough Guide, but undercuts itself with the poor English and bad editing. It's a mixed bag. If you don't mind wading through the errors and low style, it can be helpful, I think.
    But as something I pay money for, I wouldn't buy another book from the author.
    Thanks for buying it but as my mum used to say, if you can't say something nice dont say anything at all. The eBook was from a popular blog and I did say in the eBook that it had not been proof read/edited as I don't have a publisher, the only errors would have been typos, as for the style, well that's down to a different choice. Of course you are entitled your opinion and I won't get upset about it as I've sold a lot of copies. Many thanks for your purchase sir.
    An English Dad In Moscow An eBook from Amazon
    http://www.amazon.com/An-English-Dad-In-Moscow-ebook/dp/B00M00ZY6S

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    7
    Thanked: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by rusmeister View Post
    I picked it up.
    It has lots of useful info, like a Rough Guide, but undercuts itself with the poor English and bad editing. It's a mixed bag. If you don't mind wading through the errors and low style, it can be helpful, I think.
    But as something I pay money for, I wouldn't buy another book from the author.
    1. Anyone who actually read the book would see the disclaimer stating it was taken from a blog and may contain grammatical errors.

    2. The difference between novels and other writings is assumed to be common knowledge.

    3. There is no proper 'style' for a blog.

    In other words, I found it to be fine.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Russia
    Posts
    7,974
    Thanked: 891
    Quote Originally Posted by nativespeakerTEFL View Post
    1. Anyone who actually read the book would see the disclaimer stating it was taken from a blog and may contain grammatical errors.

    2. The difference between novels and other writings is assumed to be common knowledge.

    3. There is no proper 'style' for a blog.

    In other words, I found it to be fine.
    A) You have to buy the book to read the disclaimer. Most people would discover this AFTER they paid for it.

    B) Blog sites don't charge money for access to their sites. If I don't like a blog, I haven't lost any money. I'm only "out" my time.

    C) My observation and complaint would not exist if trouble were taken to edit the work. As I said, it's otherwise mostly fine.

    D) People like to know what they're buying. It has been said in the disclaimer, I point it out in my review, and everyone who buys it is happy with their purchase. Customer satisfaction is nearer 100%.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    7
    Thanked: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by rusmeister View Post
    A) You have to buy the book to read the disclaimer. Most people would discover this AFTER they paid for it.

    B) Blog sites don't charge money for access to their sites. If I don't like a blog, I haven't lost any money. I'm only "out" my time.

    C) My observation and complaint would not exist if trouble were taken to edit the work. As I said, it's otherwise mostly fine.

    D) People like to know what they're buying. It has been said in the disclaimer, I point it out in my review, and everyone who buys it is happy with their purchase. Customer satisfaction is nearer 100%.
    I see now you're just "otherwise mostly" a troll...

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    1,712
    Thanked: 688
    Quote Originally Posted by Scribble View Post
    Thanks for buying it but as my mum used to say, if you can't say something nice dont say anything at all.
    I bought the book last night on Amazon, haven't read yet.

    But honestly, I wouldn't have bought if I'd seen your comment in response to Rusmeister - his short comment/opinion is entirely fair and reasonable (since I haven't read yet, I'm not saying accurate, don't know), and saying 'don't say anything at all' is a poor response.

    As my mum used to say, 'can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen.' If you put a book out in public and charge money for it, get used to people having opinions.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    7
    Thanked: 0
    I'm currently writing my own book on trolls, would any of expat's trolls care to check it for accuracy?

    It is entitled: A Basement Too Far...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •