littleangels        English Nanny
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: An English Dad In Moscow

Quote Originally Posted by nativespeakerTEFL View Post
    I'm currently writing my own book on trolls, would any of expat's trolls care to check it for accuracy?

It is entitled: A Basement Too Far...
    So I'm unclear: are you the author and trying to piss off two people who actually paid money for your book?

And as a quick win, convince others who were thinking about buying it to change their mind?

The post about the English Dad in Moscow blog going on sale as an e-book was made Sticky in this forum in November 2014. Scribble asked me if he could advertise it, and I gave it thumbs up because I like the blog.

Apparently, it seems like this action has contributed to sales of the e-book, which is fine by me.

Other bloggers about Russia with the same plans might keep this in mind. We don't charge for this friendly service .

Honestly, I never thought of disclaimers and as I am not a teacher of English (or native speaker), I never thought of any grammar errors putting of buyers of the book.

I agree that if you advertise something here and people buy it, criticism should be met with a response. Good sales don't mean that criticism is invalid. In this case, I assume that Scribble will probably take a good look at his next edit of the book and send the next edition to Expat.ru members who bought it for free.

Let's not make this a negative discussion, but a positive one. Scribble is not a professional writer and never claimed to be one. Constructive criticism can help him improve his book.

As for "the next time":
    Like I wrote, I don't mind bloggers about Russia using Expat.ru as a platform if they take their blogs to books.
    Scribble took the good route, asking Expat.ru first if we were OK with it.
    I have not seen the disclaimer, but I think it should be posted for Expat.ru members.
    Also, for any next cases, I think we'll want a copy to read before agreeing to create sticky threads like this.
    @ Scribble, let's discuss disclaimer and proofread copy by PM.

Others, if you have an interesting blog about Russia and want to promote the blog or make a book out of it, please contact me (before starting your promotion, that is).
    We, the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by ezik View Post
    Let's not make this a negative discussion, but a positive one.

If something is written in Educated British English (which was announced in our classes 25-30 yrs ago... Jacob, are you here... do you remember Russian laptop and chicken legs 3 km from Kazansky vokzal line? )... why no?
    All the world's Kremlin,
    And all the men and women merely agents

The post about the English Dad in Moscow blog going on sale as an e-book was made Sticky in this forum in November 2014. Scribble asked me if he could advertise it, and I gave it thumbs up because I like the blog.

Apparently, it seems like this action has contributed to sales of the e-book, which is fine by me.

Other bloggers about Russia with the same plans might keep this in mind. We don't charge for this friendly service .

Honestly, I never thought of disclaimers and as I am not a teacher of English (or native speaker), I never thought of any grammar errors putting of buyers of the book.

I agree that if you advertise something here and people buy it, criticism should be met with a response. Good sales don't mean that criticism is invalid. In this case, I assume that Scribble will probably take a good look at his next edit of the book and send the next edition to Expat.ru members who bought it for free.

Let's not make this a negative discussion, but a positive one. Scribble is not a professional writer and never claimed to be one. Constructive criticism can help him improve his book.

As for "the next time":
    Like I wrote, I don't mind bloggers about Russia using Expat.ru as a platform if they take their blogs to books.
    I have not seen the disclaimer, but I think it should be posted for Expat.ru members.
    Also, for any next cases, I think we'll want a copy to read before agreeing to create sticky threads like this.

Others, if you have an interesting blog about Russia and want to promote the blog or make a book out of it, please contact me (before starting your promotion, that is).
    I'm fine with this. I don't want to tear anyone apart, and I hope the criticism does turn out to be constructive.
    (But neither, as a paying customer, would I want to be forbidden to criticize.) I do think criticism also includes appreciation, and as I said, this has a lot of useful stuff from an experienced expat.

As for "the next time":

Thanks for that Ezik. I have shown restraint and not attacked back. Next time, if I can afford it, I will pay for my next project to be proof read, however the current version was recently quickly edited. Surprisingly, it is selling as my sales stats confirm where and who to! The eBook was simply copied from selected popular posts from the blog. The blog was written at home with my kids often running around, try sensibly typing, with kids biting your ankles!

Enough said, comments on the contents (how to or stories) are of course very welcome rather than directed attack on my spelling and grammar, which ain't that bad! The eBook is intended to help expats, especially families who are thinking of or who have moved to Moscow Russia. Moscow is a hard city whatever your situation. If you can laugh here, you will survive. My eBook should make you laugh!

I did state there could be typing errors in the ebook intro, which you can view (preview) for free, without buying first! Thanks and happy reading expats. Laugh and enjoy Moscow.
    Last edited by Scribble; 20-02-2015 at 20:40.
    An English Dad In Moscow An eBook from Amazon
    http://www.amazon.com/An-English-Dad-In-Moscow-ebook/dp/B00M00ZY6S

Scribble, my congratulations with the sales level, I hope you/your friends/your editor will manage the best way with the next portions. Hope your life in Moscow, as same as your child(ren) will be easier and funnier. Have a nice time.

nativespeakerTEFL, pls never consider ppl try to pick you here if you just share your experience, w/o attempts to teach smbd for smth. Pls feel free to express your opinion... but... don't react too sharp if somebody has the different pint of view.
    All the world's Kremlin,
    And all the men and women merely agents

An English Dad In Moscow

Bought this eBook on Amazon. It's really a great book and enjoyed every moment while reading it. Having been in Russia for quite a while now, I can absolutely relate to many of the author's experiences. A great read whether you plan to visit Russia or even if you are already living here.

Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely have to check it out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12