English Nanny        British Lyceum in Moscow
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are diamond engagement rings what Russian women expect? Is it the new norm in Russia?

Are diamond engagement rings what Russian women expect? Is it the new norm in Russia?

What are customary in Russia for engagements these days? Are diamond engagement rings normal or is it an Amercian custom? In Western Europe it is not customary and is mostly considered an American custom but what about Russia? What do Russian women expect? Are diamond engagement rings becoming the norm and the expectation these days days? Any Russian women out there who can give some advice on the matter?

I would think American men has already brought this custom to Russia and especially to places like Moscow and St Pete? Are prices for diamond rings better in Moscow than overseas? Diamond mining is a big industry in Russia so there might be bargains to be fond locally? Any thoughts?

Valentine's Day is coming up shortly.
    В чужо́й монасты́рь со свои́м уста́вом не хо́дят.
    When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

Век живи́ век учи́сь.
    Live and learn.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBullet View Post
    What are customary in Russia for engagements these days? Are diamond engagement rings normal or is it an Amercian custom? In Western Europe it is not customary and is mostly considered an American custom but what about Russia? What do Russian women expect? Are diamond engagement rings becoming the norm and the expectation these days days? Any Russian women out there who can give some advice on the matter?
    I would think American men has already brought this custom to Russia and especially to places like Moscow and St Pete? Are prices for diamond rings better in Moscow than overseas? Diamond mining is a big industry in Russia so there might be bargains to be fond locally? Any thoughts?
    Nice question, Silverbullet ^^
    Well - the most important thing that women here expect from engagement - it is your love, support and understanding........
    And diamond ring is the best prove of that three things from u ^-*

So.....do you have serious plans to present this diamond thing for someone this Val's Day??
    A vaincre sans pril, on triomphe sans gloire.

There is no official tradition of engagement in Russia. But I assume your GF is speaking good English and is definitely aware of Western culture. So since you are a foreigner, she might expect an engagement ring from you.

As for better deal - diamonds are much cheaper in Emirates! You can also be lucky in a small Russian town, but Moscow and St. Peter are overpriced with these things.

Oh, and good luck with your proposal!

Diamond engagement rings are common in Uk......but so are sapphires
    Life is not what you make of it. You are what Life makes of you.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyTong View Post
    Yeah.....sapphires are gorgeous.....!!
    This one costs about 1000 euro....

and here is a link of auction in Moscow.....a lot of stuff and rings as well
    - AVITO.ru
    Last edited by Miracle77777; 15-03-2008 at 00:12.
    A vaincre sans pril, on triomphe sans gloire.

In Western Europe it is not customary and is mostly considered an American custom but what about Russia? What do Russian women expect? Are diamond engagement rings becoming the norm and the expectation these days days?

Well I don't think that Americans are THE people that give diamond engagement rings ... I haven't seen a wedding in Australia that the bride didn't have a diamond engagement ring. In fact I have never met a Western or Asian female that didn't want an engagement ring and usually it was diamond.

As for Russian females - from my experience (which is limited to only one engagement ring) they of course like them, but it doesn't seem to have the same effect as it does in places where it is the norm. The traditional ring system in Australia is 3 rings - engagement, then wedding, then eternity and they are usually made to fit together as a set or at least compliment each other.

As for buying in Moscow, there are plenty of good jewellery stores in Moscow ... but it is an expensive city for many things. Make sure that you are able to talk to the person as well (if you buy it here) and get the right quality and cut of stone that you want. I have not bought in Emirates - but I am sure they are priced well, if there are Russian ladies saying so

There is a very good Diamond factory in Prague - Lapis Diamond, so if you want a shorter trip than Dubai, I would certainly try them. Good prices, good quality and very good service. They have tours that go there so everybody can find them. Their website is: Lapis

As for colour, diamonds do not need to be only brilliant - rather than buying a coloured stone you can always go all out to impress and get coloured diamonds to suit the ladies birthstone colour (unless of course she is born around April - birthstone is Diamond). There are pink, blue, green and yellow that can be obtained and even champagne and cognac these days. Of course, the coloureds are rare and cost an arm and a leg for good quality ones

Even though Russia is a big diamond miner they are not big diamond cutters and polishers - and the diamonds that go into a ring have to be cut and polished first (usually Belgium [Antwerp] or India), so there is not going to be any discount from buying local in Russia. Antwerp is another place for buying diamonds of course - it is the diamond capital of the world as such (though you couldn't tell from going there).

You will also need some gold of course (but not much), so that may dictate where you buy if you want to choose your gold. I had my wife's engagement and wedding rings made in Perth (Australia) as I wanted to use local Western Australian gold and diamonds (we mine both as well) - I have an Italian friend that designs and makes his own jewellery there, so I was able to give her "home grown" gold and diamonds with Italian design (which Russian ladies DO like)

Don't forget that alterations can be difficult depending on the ring design and sometimes you need to make a new ring if it is too much of an alteration from her finger size - otherwise the diamonds can fall out.

Good luck.

Last edited by Rustralian; 07-02-2008 at 03:46. Reason: Typo

I think different women expect dfferent rings- I personally do not think it custon for diamond rings-it doesnt matter if the feeligs are real...it is very common though but is it nessesary to do as everydody else does-and what are the minuses if u give ur loved one a normal ring - she will not love u anymore?.....if it is love it wont change just because of th ring....but I do admit diamond rongs are very nice

Transparent Theatre is offline ungrateful child of the liberal bourgeousie
    In Western Europe it is not customary and is mostly considered an American custom
    Sure, and giving flowers, cards or gifts on 14th Feb aren't customary either - provided you intend being a friendless sociopathic outcast.

Where do you get this mad information from? Having you been listening to the BBC World Service or something? They tell you on there that everyone in Britain lives in a thatched cottage and plays cricket on Sunday afternoons too

Quote Originally Posted by Transparent Theatre View Post
    Having you been listening to the BBC World Service or something? They tell you on there that everyone in Britain lives in a thatched cottage and plays cricket on Sunday afternoons too
    Do you mean it isn't true !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyTong View Post
    whats a sapphire?

Quote Originally Posted by Anya View Post
    I think different women expect dfferent rings- I personally do not think it custon for diamond rings-it doesnt matter if the feeligs are real...it is very common though but is it nessesary to do as everydody else does-and what are the minuses if u give ur loved one a normal ring - she will not love u anymore?.....if it is love it wont change just because of th ring....but I do admit diamond rongs are very nice
    I think if he can afford it, why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Transparent Theatre View Post
    Sure, and giving flowers, cards or gifts on 14th Feb aren't customary either - provided you intend being a friendless sociopathic outcast.

Where do you get this mad information from? Having you been listening to the BBC World Service or something? They tell you on there that everyone in Britain lives in a thatched cottage and plays cricket on Sunday afternoons too
    limited to my italian experience they are stuff which i would say are still good but definitely considered:
    -old fashioned
    -ways too expensive
    -inappropriate in the 21century

these are diamonds and shubas.

never seen someone giving a diamond ring, not al least an average italian man

Penelope Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SalTheReturn View Post
    whats a sapphire?
    See Miracle's post, #5. She inserted a picture there.

Quote Originally Posted by SalTheReturn View Post
    whats a sapphire?
    sapphire = zaffiro
    Miracle posted a picture.....
    Life is not what you make of it. You are what Life makes of you.

I do not think that there are any rules for engagement and wedding rings in our country.
    It is different in each class of our society. If you are with someone who used to get luxury presents or she can even afford to buy it herself, she would defenitly expect from you ring with dimond.

Others will be glad to get a nice stylish ring. Anyway, polite and intelligent woman would never tell you that she had expected to get something extremely expensive.

P.S. I know that Tiffany rings are twice cheaper in USA than in Moscow, because of rent price and customs. Some of my american colleagues bought them for their weddings here and girls were quite happy.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast