littleangels        English Nanny
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Dream possible or not: Salary rector/headmaster high school level?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    9
    Thanked: 0

    Dream possible or not: Salary rector/headmaster high school level?

    Hello!

    I've had some ideas about perhaps aiming towards a rector/headmaster position at a russian high school in the future.

    What concerns me, with western debts and standards, is that as I understand it, most public employees have very low salaries in Russia. Besides school debts to pay (probably around 85 000 U.S dollars once I'm done), I do want to create a family and you can't support children on just polluted air

    Can you find headmaster jobs that pay reasonably well at any level or am I just setting myself up for a lot of misery by trying? Also, how about outside Moscow/St Petersburg?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    9
    Thanked: 0
    Not anyone? Pretty please

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Russia
    Posts
    7,998
    Thanked: 900
    Like you said,
    most public employees have very low salaries in Russia.
    Last I heard, if a "direktor" is making more than 35,000 rubles a month, he or she is doing OK. With the ruble weakening, that's somewhat less than $1,000/month. There are only 12 months in a year. There is no way you are going to clear $20,000, let alone $80K, unless you do a rollicking business in bribes and underground stuff.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    206
    Thanked: 6
    My daughter goes to an private english medium school.. even there I hear the permanent teachers get between 100000 - 130000 Rub ( USD 2500 - 3500) per month..

    USD 85000 per year would be tough but I guess in the best private schools , USD 60000 should be pretty doable.. and many also do arrange shared apartments for expat teachers I learn.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    27
    Thanked: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by Evigt View Post
    Hello!

    I've had some ideas about perhaps aiming towards a rector/headmaster position at a russian high school in the future.

    What concerns me, with western debts and standards, is that as I understand it, most public employees have very low salaries in Russia. Besides school debts to pay (probably around 85 000 U.S dollars once I'm done), I do want to create a family and you can't support children on just polluted air

    Can you find headmaster jobs that pay reasonably well at any level or am I just setting myself up for a lot of misery by trying? Also, how about outside Moscow/St Petersburg?
    I think you'd be better off working as an English teacher. A good tutor makes 2000-3000 per hour, different agencies are hiring on a continual basis. Based on a 20 hour work week you're looking at 40-60k per week. You've got to organize your visa and accommodation as well though. All takes planning.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    603
    Thanked: 73
    Quote Originally Posted by George87 View Post
    I think you'd be better off working as an English teacher. A good tutor makes 2000-3000 per hour, different agencies are hiring on a continual basis. Based on a 20 hour work week you're looking at 40-60k per week. You've got to organize your visa and accommodation as well though. All takes planning.
    To add to this, I work as an English teacher with EF English First, and I make roughly $1,800 per month. I'm not sure what my Director of Studies makes, but I don't believe it's an exceptionally larger salary. At least with me, EF helped with my visa and even set me up in an apartment. Also, if you tutor, depending on where you live, who you're teaching, and how much prior experience you have, can net you anywhere from $20-$100 per hour; the people I've talked to said that this is roughly the range of what they charge.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Princeton, NJ
    Posts
    86
    Thanked: 0
    English teaching can definitely pay well. I know some people who do pretty well in Moscow as freelance teachers.

    The problem of course is getting steady work, as students give up, cancel lessons, etc. all the time. The other big hassle is transportation, as the high-paying clients (businessmen) will want you to travel to them, so a 1.5 hour lesson is suddenly 3 or more hours of your time. It's good if you can also do some translation work as well, which is easier to do from home.

    Also keep in mind if you are a US citizen you still have to pay 15% tax on self-employed income even if living abroad.

    I have some (small) debt I'm paying off and I'm an American working in Moscow. Right now is probably the worst time in over 15 years to be here earning in rubles and having to service dollar-denominated debt. And in education you will be scraping by and not able to save much, so sorry to say but I think you should scrap this plan.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    9
    Thanked: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by abhilife2001 View Post
    USD 85000 per year would be tough but I guess in the best private schools , USD 60000 should be pretty doable.. and many also do arrange shared apartments for expat teachers I learn.
    I think you misunderstood me. I meant that my totalt debts will $85 000 once my education is done, not that I need to earn that much in a year. I just need to earn enough so it will be realistic to pay them off in time, e.g $300 a month for 25+ years.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    9
    Thanked: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by George87 View Post
    I think you'd be better off working as an English teacher. A good tutor makes 2000-3000 per hour, different agencies are hiring on a continual basis. Based on a 20 hour work week you're looking at 40-60k per week. You've got to organize your visa and accommodation as well though. All takes planning.
    Well, I have a disadvantage there since I'm not a native english speaker (swede) and I can only assume the best paying businessmen will want native speakers. So if I do teach english in Russia, it will probably be for less money than what most of you are getting.

    Secondly, I rather not teach english (other than perhaps for a relatively short time). I want to be a headmaster at a school. I want to run a school (outside of Moscow/St Petersburg preferably since I prefer smaller cities or rural life). And I want to be able to pay off my debts & support a future family while doing it.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    9
    Thanked: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by drbobguy View Post
    Also keep in mind if you are a US citizen you still have to pay 15% tax on self-employed income even if living abroad.
    Sweden luckily won't tax me if I don't do the earning here

    Quote Originally Posted by drbobguy View Post
    I have some (small) debt I'm paying off and I'm an American working in Moscow. Right now is probably the worst time in over 15 years to be here earning in rubles and having to service dollar-denominated debt. And in education you will be scraping by and not able to save much, so sorry to say but I think you should scrap this plan.
    Maybe, but it's my dream. I've been fascinated by Russia for many years now. I understand that if you think short term, then yes, I can only agree. The declining value of the ruble really makes having debts in other currencies suck. But I'm thinking quite long term here so do we have faith that the ruble will bounce back up in the next 10 years? It's so hard to predict when it comes to Russia. Anything can happen it seems.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Just using the login
    Posts
    3,473
    Thanked: 343
    You could start your own school. That would set you back a couple of million dollars right away. More debt.

    Are you actually qualified to be a headmaster?

    Why would the school hire you instead of a Russian?
    Shearing piglets for too much sqealing and too little wool.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    206
    Thanked: 6
    Quote Originally Posted by Evigt View Post
    I think you misunderstood me. I meant that my totalt debts will $85 000 once my education is done, not that I need to earn that much in a year. I just need to earn enough so it will be realistic to pay them off in time, e.g $300 a month for 25+ years.
    Earning till 1500 USD should be not very tough provided u have the requisite documentation..But yes, they do prefer native speakers..

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    9
    Thanked: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by AstarD View Post
    You could start your own school. That would set you back a couple of million dollars right away. More debt.
    Indeed and I don't have the finances for that. So I'll need investors and/or government support (federal or local).

    Quote Originally Posted by AstarD View Post
    Are you actually qualified to be a headmaster?
    Right now, no. But I can be, given time.

    Quote Originally Posted by AstarD View Post
    Why would the school hire you instead of a Russian?
    Why hire a foreigner for anything but english tutoring? Because I bring a different way of doing things. I bring new ideas. For better or worse, I'm not a product of their system which allows me to see things they'd dismiss as normal. I already have my vision of how I'd like the school to be & it's different from anything that exists today (in the east as well as the west). Because of that, starting a new school is perhaps the best option.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    603
    Thanked: 73
    Quote Originally Posted by Evigt View Post
    Right now, no. But I can be, given time.
    I realize this may be a long term goal of yours, but qualification is everything here in Russia. People need to see that you have the paper saying you're certified/qualified.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •