littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: Winter Coat / Shoes / Gloves Shopping

Winter Coat / Shoes / Gloves Shopping

Hi Folks,

Did some search in this forum..most of the old threads have been closed but guess they remain the better places to check out right ..

For footwear
    http://www.tervolina.ru/shop/
    http://www.ecco-shoes.ru/shops/?coun...1072;&town=all

For coats
    http://expat.ru/forum/showthread.php...ter+%2B+jacket

Also good quality gloves .. and maybe couple of pullovers / sweaters ?

As you see, many things to be bought .. so need something economical but which works

Appreciate more advise.. plan to go out coming weekend to some of these places..

It's a bit early in the season for winter clothing. I quite understand that you want to be prepared, but a lot of what's on the shelves at the moment will be autumn clothing. If you wait until October there will be a lot more winter stuff around to choose from.

Near metro Leninskiy Prospekt there is a big shopping centre ("Gagarinsky"), and behind the shopping centre are some discount clothing stores. My friend bought some winter boots there last year. Might be worth a look?

Quote Originally Posted by Kartoshka View Post
    It's a bit early in the season for winter clothing. I quite understand that you want to be prepared, but a lot of what's on the shelves at the moment will be autumn clothing. If you wait until October there will be a lot more winter stuff around to choose from.

Near metro Leninskiy Prospekt there is a big shopping centre ("Gagarinsky"), and behind the shopping centre are some discount clothing stores. My friend bought some winter boots there last year. Might be worth a look?
    Thanks .. have been to Gagarinsky.. so will maybe check out the discount clothing stores behind those this weekend..

we have plenty storage space

so we buy winter stuff in March AFTER the cold and summer things now...
    most of the time for 1/2 price because for the shops it is cheaper to sell than have to store them for 6 month. said that, we are here since many years and will be here for more, so we KNOW winter comes every year but so does summer.....
    where do we go shopping? =Stock Center= ( they are in every district) because they have sizes that fit me, long arms and long legs.. or also small and slim.
    I also like to go to = second hand= special where I know they get stuff from Germany (again for the same reason). when goods arrive for = 900 rubles a kilo = you can very often pick out new stuff, that has odd sizes and very often is new. we have 5 shops nearby, so it is a matter of once a month walking in and have a look and check. and buy if it fits, never mind the season. and I do not need every season something new, comfort is more important than fashion, so GOOD things last a few years.
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

Quote Originally Posted by Kartoshka View Post

just checked online on decathalon.. and they seem to hv very nice boots / jackets already and at decent prices..

It seems to be a good brand and seem to have quite decent reviews for many products..

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    so we buy winter stuff in March AFTER the cold and summer things now...
    most of the time for 1/2 price because for the shops it is cheaper to sell than have to store them for 6 month. said that, we are here since many years and will be here for more, so we KNOW winter comes every year but so does summer.....
    where do we go shopping? =Stock Center= ( they are in every district) because they have sizes that fit me, long arms and long legs.. or also small and slim.
    I also like to go to = second hand= special where I know they get stuff from Germany (again for the same reason). when goods arrive for = 900 rubles a kilo = you can very often pick out new stuff, that has odd sizes and very often is new. we have 5 shops nearby, so it is a matter of once a month walking in and have a look and check. and buy if it fits, never mind the season. and I do not need every season something new, comfort is more important than fashion, so GOOD things last a few years.
    its makes sense what u do.. and maybe I would hv tried similar if knew that we would be here for long..
    i still hv some nice jackets etc picked up in amazing zara sale period in jan in vienna but the mrs and kid need something so hv to buy in couple of weeks max ..

I buy my gloves at Fix Price. There are tons of them all over Moscow and the gloves themselves are super cheap. However, I'm also the kind of person who loses her gloves every five seconds, so I never buy "high quality" ones. I'm the same way with sunglasses. Everything at Fix Price is under 50 rubles, so, well, at that price, you can't afford NOT to lose them!

If your main concern is cost, you may also have luck at underpasses. Depending on where you live, there may be a few shops down there which sell winter clothing... or at least, at the underpasses I frequent, I see quite a few little stores selling coats, gloves, hats, etc. These will pop up in greater number and have greater variety the colder the winter gets. (That way, if you forget your gloves on the Metro, you can pick up a new pair right there!)

I have also seen some bazaars selling coats, or at least the one at Teply Stan does. I haven't seen any that are seriously heavy-duty, but there's lots of appropriate wear. Again, as the weather gets cooler, the offerings will expand.

Basically, don't worry about it. Russians know how to deal with winter weather and everything you need is here. When you need winter clothes, you'll be able to get them easily.

Update - Decathlon

Updating post our visit for the benefit of members..http://www.decathlon.ru/

We went to Decathlon shop last weekend.Seemed quite decent specially for children winter stuff as well as boots.. and in my opinion reasonably priced .

Maybe a good option for folks to check out..

Hello, I would like to advice avito.ru for those who knows Russian a little bit. There are tons of clothes, especially for kids as they are growing fast. Some of them are second-hand but in very good condition and plenty of new clothes - purchased online from abroad and didn't fit, but were expensive enough to let them keep in a closet. I used it several times for selling my kid's clothes and purchased once.