littleangels        English Nanny
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Get Invitation

How to Get Invitation

I'm 22 years old and I'm trying to figure out how to expatriate. I was looking at Russia because it's a powerful country that is not a puppet government of the USA, and it looks like there are good marriage prospects there.

I did some research online and I thought it looked like the best way of getting into the country would be to get hired as an English teacher so that I could get a work visa. So this summer I took an online TEFL course, and I took a Russian language course, and got the HIV test, and then I applied for more than a dozen teaching positions in the cities of my choice. I was rejected by every single one. This is rather embarrassing because I thought it was supposed to be easy for a native English speaker to get a job as an English teacher.

I thought about applying for more jobs, but I noticed that a lot of employers said that they wanted someone with a college degree. I am one year away from finishing my degree, so I decided to stay and finish it. Also I had very long hair when I applied for the jobs, and I have since shaved my head.

I was anxious to leave the country as quickly as possible because the US government keeps doing things national security related that make it increasingly difficult to leave. I thought the longer I waited, the harder it would be to leave.

So my questions are:
    1. Is there something else I need to do to get hired as an English teacher in Russia?
    2. Is there some other good way of getting a visa?

I am not interested in getting a tourist visa because I don't have enough money to travel abroad for a long time without a source of income.

Can you clarify what the US government has done to make it difficult to leave the US?
    Shearing piglets for too much sqealing and too little wool.

Quote Originally Posted by AstarD View Post
    Can you clarify what the US government has done to make it difficult to leave the US?
    Indeed. Please break covers off the damned American imperializom...
    All the world's Kremlin,
    And all the men and women merely agents

Based on what you say about your qualifications, I don't know if many regular schools would be interested in hiring you from abroad.

One of the language schools would likely be interested, and I know that they do phone interviews.

With which schools have you already applied?

Quote Originally Posted by ShamelessGit View Post
    Also I had very long hair when I applied for the jobs, and I have since shaved my head.
    Is it some kind of vow of times of crusades?

1. Is there something else I need to do to get hired as an English teacher in Russia?
    You need an employer here ready to pay you and to do organisational activity for support of work type of visa for you. Browse these threads and subforums here or use search engine on the forum http://www.expat.ru/forum/search.php with "invitation" as a keyword.
    Also see our popular portals like hh.ru , job.ru , superjob.ru etc.

There are visa agencies (here and in US), many of them offer different services, but all of them cost some franklins.

I don't have enough money to travel abroad for a long time without a source of income.
    You will need at least several K$ to start in Moscow (maybe 20% less in SPb, and 25-30% less in other 1M+ cities of RF).
    All the world's Kremlin,

Here's something that came via the expat list. Maybe interesting for you

B-Lingua (Би-Лингво) <info@b-lingua.com>
    14 Aug

to expat
    Hi all,

we are looking for energetic, friendly and open-minded English native speakers of any variety of English to cover 4 positions (2 teachers and 2 teacher assistants) in Moscow kindergartens.

This positions requires love, patience and respect for children. The teacher/assistant provides native English environment and encourage the children to understand and speak English. The teacher/assistant will instruct children in activities designed to promote social, physical, and intellectual growth by performing the following duties:
    - carry out individual and/or group activities, assist the children by moving around
    - complete different work cycles
    - motivate children to be independent and model for them appropriate manners
    - serve breakfast, snack and lunch while helping children to learn how to help themselves
    - assure children safety in the classroom and during outdoor activities
    - etc.

1) Teacher position (full-time, 2 vacancies)
    Requirements:
    English native speaker (USA, Canada, Australia, UK, New Zealand)
    Experience of working with children in an educational setting
    Bachelor's Degree & PGCE Early Years / Primary with QTS / ESL teacher (or equivalent) highly preferable
    Good academic record and ability to teach a varied academic curriculum
    Friendly, creative, communicative, honest
    Strong classroom management, organization and time management skills.
    We offer:

Full visa support and reimbursement of visa expenses
    Registration, medical insurance, 5 weeks of paid vacations (1 week in November and April, 3 weeks for Christmas)
    Multicultural working environment of professional, friendly and dedicated people
    Mo-Fri, 8.00-17.00 95 000 RUR
    School is situated near metro Universitet / Novie Cheremushki

2) Teacher assistant position (part-time, 2 vacancies)
    Requirements:
    English native speaker (USA, Canada, Australia, UK, New Zealand)
    Optimism, enterprise, humility
    Degree in early education, psychology, linguistics, sociology is preferable
    Experience of working with children as teacher/babysitter/housekeeper is highly preferable.
    We offer:
    Multicultural working environment of professional, friendly and dedicated people
    Mo-Fri, 9.00-12.00 45 000 RUR
    Mo-Fri, 16.00-19.00 45 000 RUR
    Schools are situated 1) in the south near metro Akademicheskaya and 2) in the north-east near metro Bulvar Rokossovskogo

Contracts term: 1 year (renewable)

If you are interested, contact us right now!

--
    Best regards,
    Anastasia Prisyazhnaya

8 (916) 318-36-40
    http://www.expat.ru/forum/

Astarochka, b-lingua.com webpage has a couple of clips and Beeline mobile phone number. That's all. No office data, no contacts, no ИНН/КПП/ЕГРЮЛ data...
    All the world's Kremlin,

Yeah, looks like they have kindergartens.

Quote Originally Posted by AstarD View Post
    Yeah, looks like they have kindergartens.
    So called home-style...
    All the world's Kremlin,

So my questions are:
    You could, as many others do, skip the rules/law about visa and just enter Russia on any visa and then contact different schools and offer your skills, you will then work on a contract that is not 100% correct, you may get the salary that you agreed about (maybe not).
    From here you can work your way up in the English teachers ladders, find a better school, private lessons etc.
    You are competing against persons that are willing to work as above, that is why you cant get a job with working visa, the employers do not have to help on this issue to get teachers.

Working visa? No.

Quote Originally Posted by Hans.KK View Post
    You could, as many others do, skip the rules/law about visa and just enter Russia on any visa and then contact different schools and offer your skills, you will then work on a contract that is not 100% correct, you may get the salary that you agreed about (maybe not).
    From here you can work your way up in the English teachers ladders, find a better school, private lessons etc.
    You are competing against persons that are willing to work as above, that is why you cant get a job with working visa, the employers do not have to help on this issue to get teachers.

Working visa? No.
    So are you saying that I can't get a job because I'm trying to do it legally? Do I really have to break the law to work in Russia?

Thanks for finding the job offer for me Astar, but my problem is not that I can't find job offers, it's that I can't get hired. The point of my message (I suppose I didn't articulate this well enough) was to ask if there is something in particular that Russian employers are looking for when hiring.

FatAndy, my hair went half way down my back. I heard that Russians have very traditional attitudes, so I was wondering if my long hair may have had something to do with not wanting to hire me. I know there are some conservative old people where I live who would not hire somebody with long hair.

Things the USA does to make it difficult to leave: Most of the things they do are targeted at very rich people, which I'm not, so I'm not going to mention those things. Something they have done recently is to raise the renunciation fee to $2350. Also you have to fill out a form which shows that you have paid all your taxes for the past 5 years. Also I own some silver which I would want to bring with me, and airport security has been known to arbitrarily confiscate precious metals. The thing I'm most worried about is that the airport security could easily be used to control everyone entering and leaving the country, like an invisible Berlin wall. There is already a "no-fly" list which the government has, which they can put you on without telling you and without giving any reasons for it. So they already have all the infrastructure, physical and legal, necessary to use airport security as a border patrol.

OK. I didn't understand that by leaving you meant renouncing your citizenship. I think you could get a job with one of the language schools. But they would be more likely to hire you if you're already here. They don't pay much (something near 1000 dollars a month), but you do get visa support once hired and a place to live.

re your silver: take a bus to another country and fly from there.

So are you saying that I can't get a job because I'm trying to do it legally?
    Yes, you do not have any additional skills to offer, you are so to speak "just one of many to choose from".
    Do I really have to break the law to work in Russia?
    I you want to work as English teacher and you have nothing but the basic qualification then your chances to work legal in Russia are low.

FatAndy, my hair went half way down my back. I heard that Russians have very traditional attitudes, so I was wondering if my long hair may have had something to do with not wanting to hire me.
    Well... to be honest I don't know how to answer.
    Generally the length of your hair doesn't trouble anybody yet since USSR times.
    If you pretend to work in govt structure, they may recommend you to do shorter hairstyle, or bigger private companies have dress-code or exterior policies... or if you go to serve in army, you follow army standards and rules. But for language teaching... never heard.
    Well, if you use bright lipstick together with the long hair, there may appear... some misunderstanding... somewhere...

Also I own some silver which I would want to bring with me, and airport security has been known to arbitrarily confiscate precious metals.
    In bricks or in jewellry? You may sell silver bricks in US and bring cash or plastic debet card(s), I don't understand why you have to bring them here...

The thing I'm most worried about is that the airport security could easily be used to control everyone entering and leaving the country, like an invisible Berlin wall. There is already a "no-fly" list which the government has, which they can put you on without telling you and without giving any reasons for it. So they already have all the infrastructure, physical and legal, necessary to use airport security as a border patrol.
    Don't worry, it is not "could", it is already being used, and for decades, and by all countries/govts, and will be used more and wider. If you're concerned about so called privacy, forget the word asap.
    All the world's Kremlin,

Thanks

Thanks for your replies guys.

So if I try to get hired again, and it doesn't work, does it sound like a good plan to visit Russia on a tourist visa, and then try to find work? I suppose ideally I would try to get my employer to support a work visa, but it sounds like it might not be possible. TBH I really don't like the idea of moving to a country and then looking for work, because I'll go bankrupt if I don't find one. But if that's a normal thing to do then I'll try it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast