littleangels        English Nanny
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Economical Super Markets -

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    206
    Thanked: 6

    Economical Super Markets -

    Hi Folks,

    Went through few super markets and as expected the price varies a lot between them( as no Maxixum Retail price concept applicable)..

    Diksi seemed one of the more reasonable ones.. Auchan (Universitet) had poor quality of vegetables /fruits (atleast the day I was there)..

    Which supermarket chain usually has decent prices with acceptable quality ?

    I stay around Leninsky Pr 76, so there are multiple supermarket chains around..

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    There and back again
    Posts
    21,478
    Thanked: 3123
    Cheremushkinsky rynok (crossing of Lomonosovsky and ul. Vavilova) and mini-market near m. Universitet are your destiny. Also there was a Karusel' or alike foodstore in the big shopping mall behind m. Universitet (300 m along pr. Vernadskogo to periphery). Also I remember several years ago there was a weekend "farmers fair" on Leninsky between ul. Krupskoi and ul. Marii Ulyanovoi (between Mashka and Nad'ka in local simple argo).

    There is no somewhat price restricting concepts, it's Moscow. RRP works only for glossy magazines and somehow - for some cigarettes brands. The rest is supply/demand regulated.
    Last edited by FatAndy; 05-09-2014 at 16:22.
    All the world's Kremlin,
    And all the men and women merely agents

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Just using the login
    Posts
    3,473
    Thanked: 343
    Auchan is your best bet for most things on prices, although I agree that toward the end of the afternoon the produce has been picked over. The produce at Cheryomushki is beautiful, but very very expensive.
    Shearing piglets for too much sqealing and too little wool.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    13
    Thanked: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by AstarD View Post
    Auchan is your best bet for most things on prices, although I agree that toward the end of the afternoon the produce has been picked over. The produce at Cheryomushki is beautiful, but very very expensive.

    Concur with you on Auchan. The one at TK Gorod on Entusiastov just past the Third Ring is also good. Remember, though, that you are taking your life into your hands if you go to an Auchan on Sunday.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    206
    Thanked: 6
    Quote Originally Posted by Beltliner403 View Post
    Concur with you on Auchan. The one at TK Gorod on Entusiastov just past the Third Ring is also good. Remember, though, that you are taking your life into your hands if you go to an Auchan on Sunday.
    Quote Originally Posted by AstarD View Post
    Auchan is your best bet for most things on prices, although I agree that toward the end of the afternoon the produce has been picked over. The produce at Cheryomushki is beautiful, but very very expensive.
    Thanks for the replies..
    Our 1st experience with Auchan city was pretty average.. vegetables and fruits of mediocre quality at prices higher than Diksi !! Yes, it was around 8.30pm in the evening though..

    Will check it out again maybe coming saturday..

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    4,698
    Thanked: 1786
    Quote Originally Posted by abhilife2001 View Post
    Thanks for the replies..
    Our 1st experience with Auchan city was pretty average.. vegetables and fruits of mediocre quality at prices higher than Diksi !! Yes, it was around 8.30pm in the evening though..

    Will check it out again maybe coming saturday..
    Auchan is the best at the moment but never go in the evening .
    I am parked up at Vavilova and lined up elbow to elbow with the notorious Бабушки urban gorillas for the opening stampede .......I turn left into the fruit and veg area and the produce is still being unpacked , during my last shop on Friday morning it was still great...except no broccoli

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    13
    Thanked: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by abhilife2001 View Post
    Thanks for the replies..

    Our 1st experience with Auchan city was pretty average.. vegetables and fruits of mediocre quality at prices higher than Diksi !! Yes, it was around 8.30pm in the evening though..



    Will check it out again maybe coming saturday..

    Funny that you should mention Diksi...

    There's one being prepared for an opening within the next month or so between my building and the Lefortovskiy Rynok. What's particularly interesting is that there's already a mini grocery practically on my doorstep, which is where I usually pick up milk, juices, and cold beverages; I may pay a *small* premium for them compared to what they'd cost at Auchan, but why schlep? I have to wonder a bit how well this mini grocery will cope with the new kid on the block.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    2,188
    Thanked: 14
    Quote Originally Posted by vossy7 View Post
    Auchan is the best at the moment but never go in the evening .
    I am parked up at Vavilova and lined up elbow to elbow with the notorious Бабушки urban gorillas for the opening stampede .......I turn left into the fruit and veg area and the produce is still being unpacked , during my last shop on Friday morning it was still great...except no broccoli
    Hmmm...I guess it depends which Auchan you go to. The ones at Beyaevo and near Yasenevo/Tyopliy Stan are rarely as busy as you describe. Or maybe I just don't go there often enough.
    Если жизнь тебя обманет,
    Не печалься, не сердись!
    В день уныния смирись:
    День веселья, верь, настанет.

    Сердце будущим живет;
    Настоящее уныло:
    Все мгновенно, все пройдет;
    Что пройдет, то будет мило.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    4,698
    Thanked: 1786
    Quote Originally Posted by VicY View Post
    Hmmm...I guess it depends which Auchan you go to. The ones at Beyaevo and near Yasenevo/Tyopliy Stan are rarely as busy as you describe. Or maybe I just don't go there often enough.
    Hey VicY,.....really great to see you back on here......but the commute from HK to Vavilova would be too much for you......are you back in Moscow?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    206
    Thanked: 6
    Quote Originally Posted by Beltliner403 View Post
    Funny that you should mention Diksi...

    There's one being prepared for an opening within the next month or so between my building and the Lefortovskiy Rynok. What's particularly interesting is that there's already a mini grocery practically on my doorstep, which is where I usually pick up milk, juices, and cold beverages; I may pay a *small* premium for them compared to what they'd cost at Auchan, but why schlep? I have to wonder a bit how well this mini grocery will cope with the new kid on the block.
    Guess the mini grocery will have a tough time considering diksi etc have usually lower prices..
    and their much bigger balance sheet's give them the power to do predatory pricing to attract newer customers..

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    206
    Thanked: 6
    Quote Originally Posted by vossy7 View Post
    Auchan is the best at the moment but never go in the evening .
    I am parked up at Vavilova and lined up elbow to elbow with the notorious Бабушки urban gorillas for the opening stampede .......I turn left into the fruit and veg area and the produce is still being unpacked , during my last shop on Friday morning it was still great...except no broccoli
    aha.. so there is a opening rush too !!
    Need to check this shop out coming weekend morning ( though surely wont reach by opening hrs)..

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    2,188
    Thanked: 14
    Quote Originally Posted by vossy7 View Post
    Hey VicY,.....really great to see you back on here......but the commute from HK to Vavilova would be too much for you......are you back in Moscow?
    LOL, I was for nearly a month! And I often pop over to Auchan when over in Moscow
    Если жизнь тебя обманет,
    Не печалься, не сердись!
    В день уныния смирись:
    День веселья, верь, настанет.

    Сердце будущим живет;
    Настоящее уныло:
    Все мгновенно, все пройдет;
    Что пройдет, то будет мило.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •