littleangels        English Nanny
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Temporary Technical Problems

Well, the unread posts thing does give a performance hit.
    Experimenting with some settings over the weekend. Expect the function to be available and unavailable at times...
    We, the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by ezik View Post
    Experimenting with some settings over the weekend. Expect the function to be available and unavailable at times...
    There is no particular reason for the unread posts function to slow down the SQL query any more or less than any other SQL query.

If you want to experiment, I suggest you backup a copy of the mySQL tables and then import/convert that into PHPBB3 to see what happens.

Life is tough pilgrim, it's even tougher if you're stupid

There is no particular reason for the unread posts function to slow down the SQL query any more or less than any other SQL query.

When posting, my browser tells me [waiting for expat.ru] which would seem to indicate either the webhost httpd server or mySQL server is "sluggish" for some unknown reason.

If you want to experiment, I suggest you backup a copy of the mySQL tables and then import/convert that into PHPBB3 to see what happens.

Considering PHPBB3 as a platform to switch to. And we may need to switch ISP, too.

We're running into trouble because our database is all the time at some magical 2GB threshold.

It's very clear that we need to switch platforms. Vbulletin is not necessarily the best one anymore.
    We, the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Considering PHPBB3 as a platform to switch to. And we may need to switch ISP, too.

We're running into trouble because our database is all the time at some magical 2GB threshold.

It's very clear that we need to switch platforms. Vbulletin is not necessarily the best one anymore.

It might help if you do not duplicate posts!
    Если враг в пределах досягаемости, то и вы тоже!

The phpbb3 install is automatic and simple.
    The vBulletin mySQL tables conversion & import into phpBB3 is also well documented.

Let me know if you need any free advice

I only use the phpBB3 forum with linux LAMP (linux-apache2-mySQL-php5) server. Any updates I do on my local box where I have a LAMP setup, and then upload the modified files onto the linksky.com webhost LAMP.

Quote Originally Posted by robertmf View Post
    Let me know if you need any free advice
    What you said, you worked for CIA and the last job was in NSA?
    All the world's Kremlin,
    And all the men and women merely agents

Please do only one of these at the time and wait before doing the next one, please.

And remember to test, test, test, before releasing any new version to the public.

Obviously, a switch to a different platform needs proper planning.
    Conversion to PHPBB on a database side is well documented indeed, but it is not a light task. It needs, as mentioned, testing, testing and more testing.
    We might also simply upgrade to a more recent and stable version of vBulletin.
    But in the end I think it is about capacity.
    After I made some changes in september, it was all running fine and responsive. Turned on the post-indexing thing and we got server overload.
    MySQL can easily handle much bigger databases than ours.

So, I have put the ball in the court of our ISP, see what they come up with.

We're definitely in for bigger changes soon, but stability is the priority on the short term.

Obviously, a switch to a different platform needs proper planning.
    Conversion to PHPBB on a database side is well documented indeed, but it is not a light task. It needs, as mentioned, testing, testing and more testing.
    We might also simply upgrade to a more recent and stable version of vBulletin.
    But in the end I think it is about capacity.
    After I made some changes in september, it was all running fine and responsive. Turned on the post-indexing thing and we got server overload.
    MySQL can easily handle much bigger databases than ours.

So, I have put the ball in the court of our ISP, see what they come up with.

We're definitely in for bigger changes soon, but stability is the priority on the short term.
    I think you'll find a bunch of green all-okay lines coming up when you do the conversion. As long as you can fix any red lines, then testing testing testing isn't really needed and you should be good-to-go very quickly after the conversion.

EXCEPT for the various phpBB3 topic, forum, member, admin, mod [PERMISSIONS] settings which *I* found to be very confusing I still don't have a good grasp of them ...

Aren't you already using mySQL ? Whatever. From what I see here, the [waiting for expat.ru] browser message indicates a hangup with the ISP, not vBulletin - but you should convert anyway simply for $price$

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345