English Nanny        British Lyceum in Moscow

Thread: Russian surname

Russian surname

So, we're getting married at the end of this year. If I'll take my husband's surname and keep my own surname as well (like: his name - my name), will I have both surnames on any official Russian document as well in the future?
    For example, If I'll get a Temporary Residency Permit and later on a Russian passport, will I keep both names?

Since my country doesn't recognize the change of a surname from masculine to feminine, I'll have the masculine surname. Is there any chance that it could be changed in Russia then?

Just curious about the above.
    Любовь не имеет конца.

When I got married here there was a box on the application form where I had to indicate which surname I would use after marriage. I don't recall there being an option to take both names but I didn't look out for that as I'd already decided to keep my own (I'm a bit too elderly to go around changing my surname now). The Russian marriage certificate notes the post-marriage surnames of both partners. When I went through TRP they were very scrupulous about names - even a difference of one letter in transliteration will stall the application process. Therefore I suggest you ask at the registry office whether it's possible to take both names, if no-one on this forum can answer your question (someone probably can...).

Quote Originally Posted by RooRu View Post
    When I got married here there was a box on the application form where I had to indicate which surname I would use after marriage. I don't recall there being an option to take both names but I didn't look out for that as I'd already decided to keep my own (I'm a bit too elderly to go around changing my surname now). The Russian marriage certificate notes the post-marriage surnames of both partners. When I went through TRP they were very scrupulous about names - even a difference of one letter in transliteration will stall the application process. Therefore I suggest you ask at the registry office whether it's possible to take both names, if no-one on this forum can answer your question (someone probably can...).
    You got married in another country than Russia as well? The form I received has four options, only the maiden name, husband's name, or both names (husband - maiden name or maiden name - husband). In my country you cannot loose your maiden name anyway, the name of your husband or both names just indicate how you would want to be called in daily life (at your insurence, bank etc), but my maiden name would be still in my passport without my husband's name.

Maybe it's a good idea indeed to contact the registry office, but I was just wondering if there are any women here who did the same and what their names turned out to be.

Thanks for your input anyway!
    Любовь не имеет конца.

I, luckily, do not have a difficult surname. Although it's a short German name, my name can be written in like three different forms. Can this be a problem?
    Любовь не имеет конца.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisichka View Post
    ... my name can be written in like three different forms. Can this be a problem?
    Yes, pay attention here, be sure always to use the same version when you write your name, or when others (authority) write your name.
    Also check out that the spelling goes ok both ways to and from Russian language.