littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: 1-year Business visa & 90 day rule enforcement

1-year Business visa & 90 day rule enforcement

Hello everyone,

I am asking this question regarding the 90 days out of every 180 days rule for 1-year business visas.

Is this currently being strictly enforced? In other words, it's not possible to just leave Russia for a few weeks after the 90 days and then return on this 1 year business visa?

I am just curious to hear a recent answer, as a lot of the discussion I searched in the forum is a year old or even older (all the way back to 2007..) so if someone could give me a clear answer, that would be great.

Also, is it possible to switch to a work visa after 90 days? I have some contacts who can (hopefully) provide me with that option in the fall....and I know this is the better choice, I just wasn't able to get it in the meantime....but for now I am on the 1 year visa and I need to know really how much time I have before I need to apply again for a new visa.

Thank you! P.S. I am a US passport holder

Yes it is being enforced. However, there is nothing to stop you cancelling that visa and returning on a different type of visa. Since you are a US citizen then you can get a 3 year visa which allows you to stay for 180 days at a time.

My understanding is that you will not be able to change from a business visa to a work visa in country and that you will need to apply abroad. That is you go home - as a US citizen there may be some European countries that will allow you to do it - apply for the work visa and then return to Russia. You can't do it without leaving the country.

I am aware of somebody who changed from a work visa to a HQS visa without leaving Russia but not changing from a business visa to a work visa.

A very small ice cave in the Arctic circle
    Quote Originally Posted by tonytony View Post
    Yes it is being enforced.
    How do you know it is being enforced?

Do you know someone refused?
    What happened at the border?
    Was it entry or exit?

OK, thanks for letting me know.

Yes, I know that I need to apply outside of Russia. This is my fourth Russian visa, so I am aware about all that.

I just needed to know about the enforcement because the rather dubious source for provided me this current business visa said that I only need to stay a few weeks outside of Russia before I return...and that sounds weird to me, seeing as it is breaking the law.

OK, I have two options for a work visa here, so I will just switch over with one of them after 90 days. Thanks for helping.

rubyrussia is offline Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Actually, I have a lazy American acquaintance. So lazy, he refuses to apply for TRP and just gets one year business visas. He doesn't even leave every 90 days either like he should. Very risky in my opinion, but he is still doing it. I'll let you know when he gets a red stamp in his passport and refused entry.

Rumple, why are you so worried?

Quote Originally Posted by rubyrussia View Post
    Actually, I have a lazy American acquaintance. So lazy, he refuses to apply for TRP and just gets one year business visas. He doesn't even leave every 90 days either like he should. Very risky in my opinion, but he is still doing it. I'll let you know when he gets a red stamp in his passport and refused entry.
    Hmmm.....very curious. Oh, Russia....so baffling with "laws" and "rules".

I am actually married to a Russian citizen (we've been married since May) but I haven't started the TRP yet because I don't have the FBI report thing and cannot start it for a while so...

I am staying in Russia in the meantime and trying to figure out how to not jeopardize my chances of getting a TRP in the future by not overstaying.

rubyrussia is offline Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    No one will be able to give you a guaranteed answer on that. Many people in the past have received a TRP with business visas in the past. UFMS is getting stricter, but I've never heard that play a role. You will probably be ok. As for overstaying the 90 day rule, I would think you would still be ok... but... no guaruntees.

I will leave you with some maxims:

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
    OR
    Better to be safe than sorry.

Вам решать.))))

Quote Originally Posted by rumple_stilskin View Post
    How do you know it is being enforced?

Do you know someone refused?
    What happened at the border?
    Was it entry or exit?

OK, I think I may have worded my reply wrongly. Rather than saying it is being enforced, perhaps I should have said that it seems that they are now aware of what is happening.

A colleague of mine - and no it's not me, I'm here on a HQS visa - has a one year business visa and returned earlier than he should have. He was pulled aside for further questioning but was actually allowed to enter anyway.

Judge is offline kiss my shiny metal ........
    pavlinaya , why are you watsing your time ,money on a year visa and messing around with the 90 day in and out rule...
    America and Russia are on good terms now and you yanks can get 3 year visas for Russia, you can stay for 6 months and leave for a day or two and pop back over into the Rodina...

There are threads about the 3 year visas in this section, they can be for private stay, business or the usual tourist visa..

Quote Originally Posted by Judge View Post
    pavlinaya , why are you watsing your time ,money on a year visa and messing around with the 90 day in and out rule...
    America and Russia are on good terms now and you yanks can get 3 year visas for Russia, you can stay for 6 months and leave for a day or two and pop back over into the Rodina...

There are threads about the 3 year visas in this section, they can be for private stay, business or the usual tourist visa..
    I know about the three year business visa, but the place which arranged my 1-year said they didn't know how to get the 3 year (they are dubious and really disorganized).

I probably should have just got the 3 year elsewhere, but I was short on time to arrange it. Now I am hoping to get a work visa through another place.

In case that doesn't work out, though......how can I get a 3 year business visa? Especially if there was a person here in St Petersburg who could arrange it, it would be great to know just in case.