littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: is it possible toget a new American passport if Im applying for three year visa and passport ends in two years?

is it possible toget a new American passport if Im applying for three year visa and passport ends in two years?

or, will they make me apply for one year visa and next year , closer to my passports end date, then I can get new passport?

has anyone done this before?

Not a direct answer, but for years I struggle with the fact that my passport authority liked to cut my old passport into confetti when the issued a new passport, not that good for me because I had to use the old (and the new) passport when I needed to transfer visas and other stamps, so when I felt the need for a new passport I told the passport authority that "I have lost my passport", and I got a new passport without the passport authority's interfering in the old passport what so ever.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hans.KK For This Useful Post:

Uncle Wally (27-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Hans.KK View Post
    Not a direct answer, but for years I struggle with the fact that my passport authority liked to cut my old passport into confetti when the issued a new passport, not that good for me because I had to use the old (and the new) passport when I needed to transfer visas and other stamps, so when I felt the need for a new passport I told the passport authority that "I have lost my passport", and I got a new passport without the passport authority's interfering in the old passport what so ever.

hmmmm, I dont care what they do to old one, my three year russian visa expires august 17, im fine with whatever they do.l.ljust wondering if theyll let me have a new one?

Quote Originally Posted by finnandcork View Post
    or, will they make me apply for one year visa and next year , closer to my passports end date, then I can get new passport?

has anyone done this before?
    when applying for any Russian ( or other( document, your passport must be valid for at least 6 more month. Only then will they issue a new visa or whatever other documents are needed.

since i also do not know what procedures YOUR consulate has to have a new passport issued, you might as well do it well in advance.( My consulate does it in 2 weeks, i fill i na form here in Moscow, pay the fee and supply the photos, the papers go to Austria, the passport is being printed there and comes with the diplomatic pouch back in 2 weeks time). .If or when I still have valid -other - documents in my old passport, nothing is being done, no holes,no -not valid anymore -. they just ask when either the old documents expire or a new document is being issued, to return and there and only then will they punch 2 holes through all the pages and stamp each page with -ungültig -.

by the way, to transfer any document issued here, only the place where it is being issued, can do that. -moi dokumente - will do nothing...
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

Quote Originally Posted by finnandcork View Post
    l.ljust wondering if theyll let me have a new one?
    Ok, let me put it in this way: when you "old" passport is lost, then you simply need a new one.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hans.KK For This Useful Post:

Benedikt (27-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    when applying for any Russian ( or other( document, your passport must be valid for at least 6 more month. Only then will they issue a new visa or whatever other documents are needed.

since i also do not know what procedures YOUR consulate has to have a new passport issued, you might as well do it well in advance.( My consulate does it in 2 weeks, i fill i na form here in Moscow, pay the fee and supply the photos, the papers go to Austria, the passport is being printed there and comes with the diplomatic pouch back in 2 weeks time). .If or when I still have valid -other - documents in my old passport, nothing is being done, no holes,no -not valid anymore -. they just ask when either the old documents expire or a new document is being issued, to return and there and only then will they punch 2 holes through all the pages and stamp each page with -ungültig -.

by the way, to transfer any document issued here, only the place where it is being issued, can do that. -moi dokumente - will do nothing...
    So how do you deal with the situation that you are in Russia with a visa on the old passport, but then you get issued a new passport that upon your receipt is rendered invalid by having the holes punched in it? Does Russia still accept this old passport with the visa there?

Quote Originally Posted by swampwiz View Post
    So how do you deal with the situation that you are in Russia with a visa on the old passport, but then you get issued a new passport that upon your receipt is rendered invalid by having the holes punched in it? Does Russia still accept this old passport with the visa there?
    You'll have to tell your embassy only to punch the old passport's front page and leave Russian visa intact until you leave Russia and apply for new visa. International rules states that if any pages, even one page, of the passport is damaged or punched then its invalid so only front page is enough.
    Last edited by Remington; 16-02-2020 at 17:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Remington View Post
    You'll have to tell your embassy only to punch the old passport's front page and leave Russian visa intact until you leave Russia and apply for new visa. International rules states that if any pages, even one page, of the passport is damaged or punched then its invalid so only front page is enough.
    I am afraid that my embassy/consulate/police don't care a rat's ass about such a demand, they do as they want to do things.

Hi everyone,
    So I noticed nobody has actually answered the question.
    If your passport expires 2 years from now and you request a 3-year visa, what happens?
    I've been told that they'll just issue the visa up until the expiration date but there's also conflicting reports that it's 6 months before passport expiration date. Anybody?

Quote Originally Posted by markmarkov View Post
    Hi everyone,
    If your passport expires 2 years from now and you request a 3-year visa, what happens?
    I've been told that they'll just issue the visa up until the expiration date but there's also conflicting reports that it's 6 months before passport expiration date. Anybody?
    It will be issued up to passport expiration date.

Remington is correct. The visa will be valid as long as the passport is valid, no longer. To get a 3 year visa, the passport has to be valid for more than 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by markmarkov View Post
    Hi everyone,
    Russia will not issue a visa for any length of time that imparts onto 6 months before the passport turns into a pumpkin. Now, could Russia issue a 3-year visa for less time than 3 years, so as to match up with the passport invalid date? Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Remington View Post
    So would that mean going through out-immigration in Russia giving both passports so that the existing Russian visa on the old passport is still valid while giving the new passport as the valid passport?

Russia will not issue a visa for any length of time that imparts onto 6 months before the passport turns into a pumpkin. Now, could Russia issue a 3-year visa for less time than 3 years, so as to match up with the passport invalid date? Maybe.
    It's not maybe. It's confirmed as I had to get Russian visa for my son and was given 2 years visa instead of 5 years because his passport expires in 2 years. They will not issue visa if passport will expire in 6 months.

So would that mean going through out-immigration in Russia giving both passports so that the existing Russian visa on the old passport is still valid while giving the new passport as the valid passport?
    Yes as long as the Russian visa isn't damaged. If you're not confident then you can go to FMS to obtain an exit visa in your new passport and apply for new visa abroad.