littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: Question about Business Visa Invitation and Applying in Different Consulates

Question about Business Visa Invitation and Applying in Different Consulates

Hello everyone, sorry to ask a question if it's already been asked, but I searched the forums and could not find anything relating to my particular situation.

I applied for the business visa invitation with the host organization who will arrange it. I filled out a form to do this, and doing so, I had to state which Embassy / Consulate to apply to on that form.

Originally I stated that I would apply in Tallin, Estonia. However, I might want to change that and apply in a different consulate (namely in Vienna, Austria) for travel reasons.

Am I obligated to apply for my visa in the same Embassy / Consulate as I stated on that piece of paper I gave to my host? Or can I apply in any Embassy / Consulate?

As far as I see, the business invitation doesn't have any information about a specific Embassy or Consulate, so I'm just confused. Anyone who can clarify this for me, it would be a great help!

I think once you have the invitation in hand, you can apply at any Russian consulate you desire, filling out their forms. I got an invitation before and the host organization didn't ask for what consulate, just the time period.

To be sure, you should ask the host agency.
    If you're going to be dumb, you better be tough...

Quote Originally Posted by pavlinaya View Post

Am I obligated to apply for my visa in the same Embassy / Consulate as I stated on that piece of paper I gave to my host? Or can I apply in any Embassy / Consulate?

You are not OBLIGATED to apply in Tallinn, if this is a business visa. There are many types of visas (such as a trainee/internship) which you MUST apply for in the embassy that was indicated by the host organization.

That said, what is your country of citizenship and residence (if different)? There are rules concerning WHO may apply at which embassy based on nationality. The general rule is that you must apply in the country of your citizenship or residence. There are, of course, exceptions.

From personal experience, as an American, I have been able to apply for a Russian visa outside of the US only in Helsinki (Turku), Vilnius, and Tallinn.

I have specifically been told (by the embassy in question) that I could not apply in Den Haag or Ottawa. I have also been told by the embassy in Montreal that I could apply there.

If you are a resident or citizen of Austria, you should be able to apply there, elsewise it is unlikely that you can apply in Vienna. I would recommend that you contact the embassy in Vienna directly and inquire.

Now, if you work with the proper agency, it is entirely possible to submit your documents in Tallinn with a copy of your passport and return in 10-12 days to have the visa inserted into the passport on the same day. So, if your concern is waiting around Tallinn for 10-12 days for the visa, it is possible to avoid that.

Visa in Tallinn

Quote Originally Posted by frankjohn2 View Post
    If you are a resident or citizen of Austria, you should be able to apply there, elsewise it is unlikely that you can apply in Vienna. I would recommend that you contact the embassy in Vienna directly and inquire.

Now, if you work with the proper agency, it is entirely possible to submit your documents in Tallinn with a copy of your passport and return in 10-12 days to have the visa inserted into the passport on the same day. So, if your concern is waiting around Tallinn for 10-12 days for the visa, it is possible to avoid that.
    Thanks for the reply! I am a US citizen actually. I have successfully received visas in Vienna twice, but at that time I was living there so I got the proper documents, but this time I won't have that so.....that leads me to Estonia.

Next question: How can I avoid waiting the 15 days (as it says on the Estonia visa center website) for the visa in Tallinn?? I read on this forum about this guy Vadim in Moscow at Liga Consulting, and I emailed him today about my situation but didn't get a reply yet....by the way I am based in St. Petersburg, so any contacts there would be better for me than in Moscow. Thanks again.

So, is there any other way to get the visa faster in Tallinn for US citizens besides this guy Vadim, in case he doesn't respond to my email? Please let me know!! Thank you!
    Last edited by sepia_tint; 22-05-2014 at 15:37. Reason: forgot to add something

Vadim is your man.

Vadim at Liga will help you. If he doesn't respond today he will tomorrow. If not, a call to his office works. Sometimes he is away for a day or two, so someone in the office can help in that case.

I too am in SPB, but have always used Vadim. The man has performed some absolute miracles.

Actually, though the idea of leaving the documents and coming back in two weeks was the idea of his contact in Tallinn -- I was there in his office for another of Vadim's miracles.

Quote Originally Posted by frankjohn2 View Post
    From personal experience, as an American, I have been able to apply for a Russian visa outside of the US only in Helsinki (Turku), Vilnius, and Tallinn.
    Just FYI, I'm an American citizen and got a three year business visa in Milan in April. The bad news is that it took me two weeks to get it, so I made an Italian vacation out of it.

Hi..
    One good and fast way(best way?) to get work visa/busines visa...go to Finland/Helsinki.There is travel agency "RusTravel", Check from Google.

I got my busines visa...and later work visa on 1 day...If you leave all necessary documents on morning 9.00 am...you can pick your visa about 4pm same day!!!!

RusTravel located next to Russian Embassy...maybe thats why they are s fast.
    Of course it cost little bit more but...everything cost.

Last January...Multi-entry business visa/1 year...1 day delivery time..cost about 250 euros.

Jari