littleangels        English Nanny
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 51

Thread: I got an awkward question

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    712
    Thanked: 107
    When I go to the bank to pay in money, they always put it on my card. If I want it to go elsewhere I have to move it from the card.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    There and back again
    Posts
    21,773
    Thanked: 3438
    Quote Originally Posted by bydand View Post
    I think it can't be an interest bearing account.
    It depends on bank's conditions, read bank contract, call them, ask about other options.
    All the world's Kremlin,
    And all the men and women merely agents

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Oregon, USA
    Posts
    392
    Thanked: 2
    I feel sorry for any foreigner trying to get through the marriage process in Russia. Bureaucracy on steroids.
    "We're all mad here."
    Cheshire Cat

  4. #34
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    St. Petersburg, Russia
    Posts
    2,277
    Thanked: 1076
    Quote Originally Posted by PJB View Post
    I feel sorry for any foreigner trying to get through the marriage process in Russia. Bureaucracy on steroids.
    Sorry I do not agree with you, one have to full fit a few requirements, and all info regarding this can be obtained at the Zags office.

    This is basically:
    Timing.
    Be in Russia legally.
    Have the right documents to identify your self.
    Have a proof that you legally can marry.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    721
    Thanked: 4
    But keep in mind that the proof that you can legally marry is ultimately delivered by the authorities of your native country - I know what the UK embassy wants, but couldn't advise about the US. My other half worked out what Russia needs from us; I worked out to provide the things I needed the UK to do for me. Then I ran away to Minsk to watch hockey

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    4,698
    Thanked: 1786
    One should have no need to ever go to the bricks and mortar bank branch any more unless you have a nylon stocking over your head and brandishing a very large baseball bat !
    Secure token online banking and telephone banking have been operating here for years

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Oregon, USA
    Posts
    392
    Thanked: 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans.KK View Post
    Sorry I do not agree with you, one have to full fit a few requirements, and all info regarding this can be obtained at the Zags office.

    This is basically:
    Timing.
    Be in Russia legally.
    Have the right documents to identify your self.
    Have a proof that you legally can marry.
    Researched what was needed, collected all paperwork apostils, etc. and brought them from USA.
    Went to ZAGs to do paperwork but they are having a "sanitary day".
    Return to ZAGS and are told we must get all papers translated then stamped at various offices which are no where near ZAGS or each other.
    Metro, bus and walk to each office where we stand in line for hours then are sent to a bank to make the payment. When we return we must stand in line for hours only to have the clerk declare "break time" just as we reach the window.
    Each office trip takes a whole day, lots of walking and lots of money for each stamp on every document.
    So yes the requirements are not complicated, it's just the process that was exhausting.
    "We're all mad here."
    Cheshire Cat

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    4,698
    Thanked: 1786
    Quote Originally Posted by PJB View Post
    Researched what was needed, collected all paperwork apostils, etc. and brought them from USA.
    Went to ZAGs to do paperwork but they are having a "sanitary day".
    Return to ZAGS and are told we must get all papers translated then stamped at various offices which are no where near ZAGS or each other.
    Metro, bus and walk to each office where we stand in line for hours then are sent to a bank to make the payment. When we return we must stand in line for hours only to have the clerk declare "break time" just as we reach the window.
    Each office trip takes a whole day, lots of walking and lots of money for each stamp on every document.
    So yes the requirements are not complicated, it's just the process that was exhausting.
    Welcome to the pleasure dome that is Russia

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Oregon, USA
    Posts
    392
    Thanked: 2
    And this is why we drink
    "We're all mad here."
    Cheshire Cat

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    4,698
    Thanked: 1786
    Quote Originally Posted by PJB View Post
    And this is why we drink

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    5,790
    Thanked: 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by andymackem View Post
    But keep in mind that the proof that you can legally marry is ultimately delivered by the authorities of your native country - I know what the UK embassy wants, but couldn't advise about the US.
    Hmmm! I do wonder how that works. Say, my former husband and I were married and divorced in Moscow. If ever I got married again, then I'd be providing my divorce certificate as proof I can marry. My former husband (a US citizen), however, never even picked up his 'copy' of the divorce certificate and married in Cyprus without any.. proof!

    When I was picking up mine, the lady at the ZAGS told me to make sure he picks up his and when I told her he was already married to smn else she jumped up and said, BUT THIS IS ILLEGAL!

    Either way, what would the US (native country) have to do with it when he hadn't lived there for years and married and divorced in Russia? Would they have records of any previous marriages regardless if we never did get anything but the Russian marriage (and then divorce) certificate(s)?
    Go where you are celebrated not tolerated.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Oregon, USA
    Posts
    392
    Thanked: 2
    What happens in Russia stays in Russia. Unless someone files papers in the USA (like application for visa or immigration) that shows proof of legal marriage.
    "We're all mad here."
    Cheshire Cat

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    4,698
    Thanked: 1786
    Quote Originally Posted by natlee View Post
    Hmmm! I do wonder how that works. Say, my former husband and I were married and divorced in Moscow. If ever I got married again, then I'd be providing my divorce certificate as proof I can marry. My former husband (a US citizen), however, never even picked up his 'copy' of the divorce certificate and married in Cyprus without any.. proof!

    When I was picking up mine, the lady at the ZAGS told me to make sure he picks up his and when I told her he was already married to smn else she jumped up and said, BUT THIS IS ILLEGAL!

    Either way, what would the US (native country) have to do with it when he hadn't lived there for years and married and divorced in Russia? Would they have records of any previous marriages regardless if we never did get anything but the Russian marriage (and then divorce) certificate(s)?
    Bigamy is illegal in all states of the USA but the number of bigamists brought to court is tiny , the ones that actually get visibility are usually high profile ones.
    If someone has enough of a grudge and tons of money I am sure they would find a more than willing lawyer to take on any bigamy case irrespective of where they were married!

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    5,790
    Thanked: 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by PJB View Post
    What happens in Russia stays in Russia. Unless someone files papers in the USA (like application for visa or immigration) that shows proof of legal marriage.
    How about applying for US citizenship for our daughter?
    Go where you are celebrated not tolerated.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    ALWAYS in trouble.....
    Posts
    19,527
    Thanked: 6302
    Quote Originally Posted by vossy7 View Post
    Bigamy is illegal in all states of the USA but the number of bigamists brought to court is tiny , the ones that actually get visibility are usually high profile ones.
    If someone has enough of a grudge and tons of money I am sure they would find a more than willing lawyer to take on any bigamy case irrespective of where they were married!
    What about some Muslims who live in the US of A and who have more than 1 wife?

    If they are foolish enough, they can have 4!
    Если враг в пределах досягаемости, то и вы тоже!


Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •