littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: town near Moscow to advice

town near Moscow to advice

Hello everyone! Could you advice me a pretty town to visit near Moscow? Maximum 1 hour by train.. Thanx!
    S.

Sergiev Posad has a beautiful monastery, and you can get there in 1 hour 20 minutes by train.

Quote Originally Posted by Kartoshka View Post
    Sergiev Posad has a beautiful monastery, and you can get there in 1 hour 20 minutes by train.
    Agree. I also may recommend a nice Russian style restaurant across the main street from monastery You may fit in shorter time if use express/Sputnik elektrichka from Yaroslavsky vokzal, m. Komsomol'skaya, see rasp.yandex.ru

Another town with monastery in 1h 20 min is Zvenigorod, no expresses here, from Belorussky vokzal, m. Belorusskaya.
    All the world's Kremlin,
    And all the men and women merely agents

A bit further but Rostov Veliky is very pretty, would be nice to visit in spring or summer especially. I think about 2.5 or 3 hours by train. I was there a few years ago.
    I see you want one hour maximum, but go early, read a book on the train, spend the day there and come back on a evening train. Was comfortable for me.
    Gorgeous monastery, can take a boat ride and get very pretty pics of the monastery over the water. There is a lake, pretty little gingerbread type houses and interesting old buildings and kremlin.
    The women's mines try was still in repairs but the men's was renovated while I was there.

Btw if anyone wants to go once the trees are green, I would not mind another trip there. Get a group and make it a day.

I'd recommend Sergiev Posad as well. Not only churches but nice city views as well

As others have said above, a lot of nice places are more than an hour away.

There's a map below showing some nice places to visit.

Some others that ARE within an hour of Moscow are Noginsk which is quite a pretty place to visit and then a bit further out is Pokrov which has an amazing monastery on an island just outside it

you can visit Zvenigorod, it is only 50 km from Moscow, it is easy to get there by car, train or bus. there is a wonderful monastery with museums and view at the Moscow river. really nice.
    weheartmoscow.com our city does speak English now