littleangels        English Nanny
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Current List of Providers

Getting internet in my house seems to be quite hard. My address does not seem to have any LAN-connection when searching on the links in this thread and when trying to connect to Steam adsl it gives me an error message.

I will get some help from a Russian speaking friend in a week or two and until then I got a MTS mobile internet modem but I am not really sure how the limit works. From what I understood there is a 7 GB limit but what happens when I reach it?

The program that was installed with the modem has a "check balance"-button and the first days it said 250p but not it shows 1p. Internet is still working at same speed though. I tried to get information regarding remaining traffic but only got the following message back:

Вы используете опцию «Безлимит-Maxi»: скорость не ограничена

Anyone using the same service and has information on how it works?

Hope it's ok to post my questions in this thread and hope you will all have a good weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by haeg View Post
    Getting internet in my house seems to be quite hard. My address does not seem to have any LAN-connection when searching on the links in this thread and when trying to connect to Steam adsl it gives me an error message.
    It happens - there are some "white spots" on Moscow's map.
    What error message?

until then I got a MTS mobile internet modem but I am not really sure how the limit works. From what I understood there is a 7 GB limit but what happens when I reach it?
    It depends on your tariff plan. Usually they cut the full speed down to 32-64-128 kbps till the next month.

Вы используете опцию «Безлимит-Maxi»: скорость не ограничена
    This means, your speed is not limited yet.

Moscow Cable TV & Internet provider Akado announced that they stop transmitting BBC World TV channel via their net from February 28.
    : (

Home tv connections with Indian / Western English channels

Hi ,

So we finally are in advanced stages of getting the Russian Work permit.. and will be shortly finalizing our rented accommodation..

Which will be a recommended tv cable connection considering the following requirements :

1. Availability of few Indian channels - Zee TV / Sony TV etc..
    2. Availability of few Western channels - Star TV channels / BBC /CNN etc
    3. Availability of kid channels (English)

Appreciate any advise..

Thanks,
    Abhi

Quote Originally Posted by abhilife2001 View Post
    Hi ,

So we finally are in advanced stages of getting the Russian Work permit.. and will be shortly finalizing our rented accommodation..

Which will be a recommended tv cable connection considering the following requirements :

1. Availability of few Indian channels - Zee TV / Sony TV etc..
    2. Availability of few Western channels - Star TV channels / BBC /CNN etc
    3. Availability of kid channels (English)

Appreciate any advise..

Thanks,
    Abhi
    Bump..
    Our apartment has Akado satellite system..

Akado - Language change

I see many channels which are in English having been translated to Russian, any idea if its possible to change the language from Russian to English ?
    I also found some Indian channels having Russian language !

what about the MEDIATHEK?

I see many channels which are in English having been translated to Russian, any idea if its possible to change the language from Russian to English ?

being an Austrian I watch Austrian TV, therefore, I can not comment on Indian TV.The ORF, the Austrian Broadcasting Corporation, puts (more or less) everything they send and they have the legal rights to it, into the Mediathek. that is, with a time delay... but they also have life transmission.
    and special in the morning, there is about 4h kids programs.....
    would not any other TV station do the same? maybe check out your favorite station from back home and find out?
    for internet we also have Akado since many years. they have their ups and downs and hickups. but fewer and fewer now. and while maybe not a main crucial thing, if needed they english speaking technician and when help is needed, they can guide you through to a solution....(also important for me, because i am not always at home.. We can pay for the service through their website,set up once and the next time it is just the sum to put in you want to pay. we get a reminder with an SMS when it is time to pay, so the Internet is not interrupted. maybe these are small things, others for sure do it as well but not all providers do it.)
    we get more or less every day new service invitations in our mailbox or ads posted next to it. faster,better, cheaper. and then you read the VERY small print, it is for the first month only or the megabytes or whatever you can have are so low, you will want to upgrade immideately, and it will cost you...
    by the way I pay 420 rubles a month.. we have about a zillion TV channels, which we never watch...since they did not have Austrian /German TV, we opted out on the package with all the -foreign- channels, we watch it on the Mediathek.
    we have done the contract some 5 years ago though, and there was no price increase since....
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

What a surprise, right?

Call to Akado and ask.
    All the world's Kremlin,
    And all the men and women merely agents

Judge is offline kiss my shiny metal ........
    Try through your tv ''language setting'', channels like Discovery and Nat Geo can be watched in English.

depends on your TV and provider

Quote Originally Posted by FatAndy View Post
    What a surprise, right?

Call to Akado and ask.

as far as I know, most(?) new / flat screen TV's have a button for -langauge selection-. I know it works when I play a DVD. though I assume it has to do with the fact that a DVD has several languages to choose from. at least when it is a legal DVD and not the cheapo knock off's at Ismailovo.
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

Onlime seems to be good provider in my experience

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123