littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: Kandalaksha and vicinity (Kola peninsula, northern Karelia)

Kandalaksha and vicinity (Kola peninsula, northern Karelia)

I've actually moved here. Yes, permanently, in June. And am now promoting the place mostly through www.kandalaksha.su. Questions related to Murmansk area and in particularly the south edge of the Kola peninsula are welcomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Pasha View Post
    I've actually moved here. Yes, permanently, in June. And am now promoting the place mostly through www.kandalaksha.su. Questions related to Murmansk area and in particularly the south edge of the Kola peninsula are welcomed.
    What are the views of the northern lights like.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Pasha View Post
    Nice places , I've been to "Kandalashka" once, BBS MSU, 15 km from Poyakonda (reachable by elektrichka Kandalaksha-Louhi).
    Have they finally built Dom Kul'tury with the nice view to sopki?
    All the world's Kremlin,
    And all the men and women merely agents

Do you like it there?

(1) Northern lights are rare but of course those who take getting tourists to come seriously talk about them and post a rare photo all over and otherwise pretend they (northern lights) define the north. Guess I'll do that too and swear they are there day and night. Maybe later in winter they'll show up. The Finns have them on all their advertising leaflets.

(2) No, no Dom Kultury. The biggest one in Kandalaksha burned for the 3rd time a year(?) ago, and I see no attempt made to restore it. But a local brewery did open in June, and they are making two types of light beer that, unlike most Russian bears, don't turn your brains into cotton. Nice to have a town with a brewery.

(3) In Moscow incessant noise from traffic and Tajiks incessantly raking leaves and tearing up and re-doing same damn pathway under my windows got me. Now, even after 4-5 months, I am still enjoying lack of noise here. People are quieter too. But I'm also starting to learn that short days compounded by clouds are a serious thing. If not strong sources of influence I would have moved in an entirely different direction.