littleangels        English Nanny

View Poll Results: What is your first language?

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • English

    62 59.05%
  • Russian

    23 21.90%
  • Hindi

    2 1.90%
  • other

    18 17.14%
Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 165

Thread: Do you speak English as a first language?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    in limbo
    Posts
    1,689
    Thanked: 631

    Do you speak English as a first language?

    Is English your mother tongue? If not what is your first language?

    My guess is that better than 70% of the posters on *Expat*.ru are Russians.

    Russians are just fine and dandy, but don't try to fool us with your wonky English, a native speaker can spot it a mile away. Russian phrasing into English is a dead giveaway. Preposition misuse ditto. Don't pretend you're from South Africa because we all know that isn't English anyway.

    Native Russian speakers for all their training and education and practice cannot hide the fact, try as they might, that English is NOT their native language. Give it up 'ppl', we can see right through you. Or smthng.

    Come out of the closet. Admit you're Russian. You think you can hide it but you can't.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    disappeared
    Posts
    8,867
    Thanked: 0
    And inappropriate use of adjectives for particular subjects and sentences for example.

    I think it's almost a third British, A little less American, Australian, Canadian etc. And athird Russian.

    Look up the current poll for nationalities.

    Good thread.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    6,163
    Thanked: 0

    W

    Quote Originally Posted by annasophia View Post
    Is English your mother tongue? If not what is your first language?

    My guess is that better than 70% of the posters on *Expat*.ru are Russians.

    Russians are just fine and dandy, but don't try to fool us with your wonky English, a native speaker can spot it a mile away. Russian phrasing into English is a dead giveaway. Preposition misuse ditto. Don't pretend you're from South Africa because we all know that isn't English anyway.

    Native Russian speakers for all their training and education and practice cannot hide the fact, try as they might, that English is NOT their native language. Give it up 'ppl', we can see right through you. Or smthng.

    Come out of the closet. Admit you're Russian. You think you can hide it but you can't.

    Who are you arguing with, I wonder? Or just venting your feelings?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    6,163
    Thanked: 0

    w

    Quote Originally Posted by Bels View Post
    And inappropriate use of adjectives for particular subjects and sentences for example.




    Sometimes it could pass for joke.

    For me the worst thing is articles. I don't have a feeling of correct use of articles. Rules don't help enough.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    disappeared
    Posts
    8,867
    Thanked: 0
    Good point, perhaps we should discuss it in teacher's folder. The green and long umbrella? But that might be simple for you. Yes Russians do have a problem when to include the article, and when not to.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    in limbo
    Posts
    1,689
    Thanked: 631
    Correct. English articles are a huge bugaboo for non-native speakers, as are prepositions. As is phrasing.

    I can pick out every Russian on this website as a non-native English speaker. Absolutely nothing wrong with that except that this website is named "Expat.ru".

    Except that *English speaking* Russians are the majority users here. Not expats.

    So what's up with that?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    msk
    Posts
    4,567
    Thanked: 0
    maybe you should include the largest english speaking country in your poll? or, any other english speaking country ?
    ◀► ◢◤

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    disappeared
    Posts
    8,867
    Thanked: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by annasophia View Post
    Correct. English articles are a huge bugaboo for non-native speakers, as are prepositions. As is phrasing.

    I can pick out every Russian on this website as a non-native English speaker. Absolutely nothing wrong with that except that this website is named "Expat.ru".

    Except that *English speaking* Russians are the majority users here. Not expats.

    So what's up with that?
    The site is for expats and English speaking Russians.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    disappeared
    Posts
    8,867
    Thanked: 0
    I haven't found my students having problems with prepositions. However even British natives have some problems with Americans with their use of prepositions on for example, when asking for directions. Or is it the vocabulary??
    Last edited by Bels; 20-12-2007 at 21:46.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    6,163
    Thanked: 0

    W

    Quote Originally Posted by Bels View Post
    The site is for expats and English speaking Russians.

    And not for "English speaking"? :-)))

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    in limbo
    Posts
    1,689
    Thanked: 631
    Quote Originally Posted by Bels View Post
    The site is for expats and English speaking Russians.

    Yes, I'm aware of that.

    My point is that more Russians who 'speak English' than expats use this site. I also realize that an expat in Moscow could come from any of 235 or so countries.

    Still it remains that the vast majority of posters here on Expat.ru are Russians.

    Russians who would have us believe that in fact they are not Russians. What I'm saying is that (a) it's impossible to hide the fact that you're not a native English speaker and (b) very few expats seem to use this site. That's all.

    Maybe it should be called "Hodge Podge For People Who Live In Moscow Very Few Of Whom Speak English As A Native Language"?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    2,726
    Thanked: 0
    I think it's a hint (and rather obvious) that in copycat there are more expats - so why don't you head there. noone will notice, really. with your hostility. geeze.. why would i care about the correct use of articles if someone can't even have the right manners. whoosh!

    ps: not to mention the fact that there are French, |Germans, Italians, etc. who don't speak a perfect English. You must be the first time abroad or in the international community if you dare to be arrogant on the aspect of a language. How many do you speak and why don't you post something in the foreign languages so we could judge your perfect German or French... Russian perhaps? he-he...

    Quote Originally Posted by annasophia View Post
    Correct. English articles are a huge bugaboo for non-native speakers, as are prepositions. As is phrasing.

    I can pick out every Russian on this website as a non-native English speaker. Absolutely nothing wrong with that except that this website is named "Expat.ru".

    Except that *English speaking* Russians are the majority users here. Not expats.

    So what's up with that?
    Last edited by Albertina; 20-12-2007 at 21:55.
    Never, Never Give In.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    disappeared
    Posts
    8,867
    Thanked: 0
    I disagree and knowing this forum I believe there is a nice combination of Expats from many countries who speak English as a first language, and from those who use Engish as a second language.

    Many English speaking natives will make mistakes because they are tired or they are in a hurry etc. However their mistakes will be different from that of a person using English as a second language.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    in limbo
    Posts
    1,689
    Thanked: 631
    You are misunderstanding my point.

    It is not than non-native English speakers make mistakes. It is the fact that this website bills itself as a place for expats.

    When the vast majority of posters here, in fact and indeed are not expats.

    I see that as misrepresentation.

    And yes, misrepresentation is bad manners.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    22
    Thanked: 0
    One quick question, if I were to originate from an Asian country, say, Malaysia, and have been speaking English my whole life (used both at home and in school). English is also used in our everyday conversations. Would you call me a native English speaker? Would you say English is my mother tongue? I'm rather confused upon this matter as, recently someone pointed out that, "you're not a native English speaker if you're not equipped with an American/British accent."
    Don't think of organ donations as giving up part of yourself to keep a total stranger alive. It's really a total stranger giving up almost all of themselves to keep part of you alive.

Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •