littleangels        English Nanny

View Poll Results: What is your first language?

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • English

62 59.05%
  • Russian

23 21.90%
  • Hindi

2 1.90%
  • other

18 17.14%
Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you speak English as a first language?

Do you speak English as a first language?

Is English your mother tongue? If not what is your first language?

My guess is that better than 70% of the posters on *Expat*.ru are Russians.

Russians are just fine and dandy, but don't try to fool us with your wonky English, a native speaker can spot it a mile away. Russian phrasing into English is a dead giveaway. Preposition misuse ditto. Don't pretend you're from South Africa because we all know that isn't English anyway.

Native Russian speakers for all their training and education and practice cannot hide the fact, try as they might, that English is NOT their native language. Give it up 'ppl', we can see right through you. Or smthng.

Come out of the closet. Admit you're Russian. You think you can hide it but you can't.

And inappropriate use of adjectives for particular subjects and sentences for example.

I think it's almost a third British, A little less American, Australian, Canadian etc. And athird Russian.

Look up the current poll for nationalities.

Good thread.

W

Quote Originally Posted by annasophia View Post
    Is English your mother tongue? If not what is your first language?

My guess is that better than 70% of the posters on *Expat*.ru are Russians.

Russians are just fine and dandy, but don't try to fool us with your wonky English, a native speaker can spot it a mile away. Russian phrasing into English is a dead giveaway. Preposition misuse ditto. Don't pretend you're from South Africa because we all know that isn't English anyway.

Native Russian speakers for all their training and education and practice cannot hide the fact, try as they might, that English is NOT their native language. Give it up 'ppl', we can see right through you. Or smthng.

Come out of the closet. Admit you're Russian. You think you can hide it but you can't.

Who are you arguing with, I wonder? Or just venting your feelings?

w

Quote Originally Posted by Bels View Post
    And inappropriate use of adjectives for particular subjects and sentences for example.

Sometimes it could pass for joke.

For me the worst thing is articles. I don't have a feeling of correct use of articles. Rules don't help enough.

Good point, perhaps we should discuss it in teacher's folder. The green and long umbrella? But that might be simple for you. Yes Russians do have a problem when to include the article, and when not to.

Correct. English articles are a huge bugaboo for non-native speakers, as are prepositions. As is phrasing.

I can pick out every Russian on this website as a non-native English speaker. Absolutely nothing wrong with that except that this website is named "Expat.ru".

Except that *English speaking* Russians are the majority users here. Not expats.

So what's up with that?

maybe you should include the largest english speaking country in your poll? or, any other english speaking country ?
    ◀► ◢◤

Correct. English articles are a huge bugaboo for non-native speakers, as are prepositions. As is phrasing.

I can pick out every Russian on this website as a non-native English speaker. Absolutely nothing wrong with that except that this website is named "Expat.ru".

Except that *English speaking* Russians are the majority users here. Not expats.

So what's up with that?
    The site is for expats and English speaking Russians.

I haven't found my students having problems with prepositions. However even British natives have some problems with Americans with their use of prepositions on for example, when asking for directions. Or is it the vocabulary??
    Last edited by Bels; 20-12-2007 at 21:46.

W

And not for "English speaking"? :-)))

Yes, I'm aware of that.

My point is that more Russians who 'speak English' than expats use this site. I also realize that an expat in Moscow could come from any of 235 or so countries.

Still it remains that the vast majority of posters here on Expat.ru are Russians.

Russians who would have us believe that in fact they are not Russians. What I'm saying is that (a) it's impossible to hide the fact that you're not a native English speaker and (b) very few expats seem to use this site. That's all.

Maybe it should be called "Hodge Podge For People Who Live In Moscow Very Few Of Whom Speak English As A Native Language"?

I think it's a hint (and rather obvious) that in copycat there are more expats - so why don't you head there. noone will notice, really. with your hostility. geeze.. why would i care about the correct use of articles if someone can't even have the right manners. whoosh!

ps: not to mention the fact that there are French, |Germans, Italians, etc. who don't speak a perfect English. You must be the first time abroad or in the international community if you dare to be arrogant on the aspect of a language. How many do you speak and why don't you post something in the foreign languages so we could judge your perfect German or French... Russian perhaps? he-he...

So what's up with that?
    Last edited by Albertina; 20-12-2007 at 21:55.
    Never, Never Give In.

I disagree and knowing this forum I believe there is a nice combination of Expats from many countries who speak English as a first language, and from those who use Engish as a second language.

Many English speaking natives will make mistakes because they are tired or they are in a hurry etc. However their mistakes will be different from that of a person using English as a second language.

You are misunderstanding my point.

It is not than non-native English speakers make mistakes. It is the fact that this website bills itself as a place for expats.

When the vast majority of posters here, in fact and indeed are not expats.

I see that as misrepresentation.

And yes, misrepresentation is bad manners.

One quick question, if I were to originate from an Asian country, say, Malaysia, and have been speaking English my whole life (used both at home and in school). English is also used in our everyday conversations. Would you call me a native English speaker? Would you say English is my mother tongue? I'm rather confused upon this matter as, recently someone pointed out that, "you're not a native English speaker if you're not equipped with an American/British accent."
    Don't think of organ donations as giving up part of yourself to keep a total stranger alive. It's really a total stranger giving up almost all of themselves to keep part of you alive.

Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast