littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: Chistiye prudi - is it good location for family wi 2 kids.

Chistiye prudi - is it good location for family wi 2 kids.

Hi there all, we'll be potentially moving to Moscow soon and have been recommended this location as it's closer to my husband's work but have no idea whether this is a decent place for family ..so any help will be appreciated .

Thanks
    Bbllt28

It's one of the most decent (to say the least) options they could possibly offer to your family in Moscow. I'd been working within walking distance from the Chistiye Prudy metro station in 2006-2011. But keep in mind that Putin's political opponents often choose the site around the Griboyedov monument for their rallies. Google for more information or visit theMoscowTimes.com.
    Перешагни, перескочи,
    Перелети, пере- что хочешь -
    Но вырвись: камнем из пращи,
    Звездой. сорвавшейся в ночи...
    Сам затерял - теперь ищи...
    (Вл.Ходасевич)

I live there, and I really like it. I've been here about 3 years now and I wouldn't choose to move to another part of Moscow at the moment (although I hate moving house, so that isn't an entirely compelling endorsement). It's very central, the area around the pond (Chistiye Prudi means 'clean ponds', although there is only one pond now) is nice to walk around / sit in the sunshine (and is rather less full of guys sitting on benches with beer than it used to be). You've also got a lot of places to eat in area, it's a reasonable and pleasant walk to 35mm, which is one of the few cinemas which shows undubbed English (and other) language films; it's perfectly possible to walk right into the centre (I can be on Red Square in less than half an hour, if I wish) and with 3 metro lines converging at the station it's got good public transport links to the rest of the city. So, for me as a single man it works pretty well.

But, the key point might be that I'm a single man so I like being in the heart of the city. If your kids are school age you might find it's a long commute to get them to the English-language international schools (although I think there's a French school in the immediate area). And like I said, there are a lot of bars and restaurants around, which you might find means it isn't the kind of place you'd want your kids going around on their own in the evenings (assuming they are old enough for that to be an issue).

Leaving that aside, the area around the Griboyedov statue is quite a popular place for small demonstrations (of all types), Moscow's 'Occupy' movement set up next to the monument to Abai and Prospekt Sakharova was the site of some of the big protests after the elections in 2011-12. I wouldn't say any of this was dangerous, but it can be disruptive when there's a big demo (road closures, access to the metro restricted etc) and some people find large crowds or a high police presence intimidating. That said, on the night of one of the biggest and most confrontational demos in the area, I was in a bar five minutes' walk away and knew nothing of it until I got home and got a text message from a friend asking if I was ok. Finger on the pulse, me :lol:

Also, it's a relatively expensive part of town, especially if you're looking at a family-sized apartment (you won't get a townhouse, realistically). Obviously, if your husband's work is paying, that's not your problem ...

Of course, a lot of these issues are true of much of central Moscow - I'd suggest that your key issues are probably going to be getting your kids to school / nursery / daycare rather than getting your husband to his office. But if you're dead set on the centre, I'd say Chistiye Prudy is as good as anywhere.

Many thanks guys , really appreciated ..
    Now that you've mentioned the schools , it makes sense for us to explore the best possible options in terms of commute to work from underground stations near to international schools ...
    We've got 16 and 10 year olds,so have to really think about their journey to schools.

I'll be checking the locations of British/American schools and come back to site for more help soon ...

Rgds,
    Bbllt28

Quote Originally Posted by Bbllt28 View Post
    Many thanks guys , really appreciated ..
    Now that you've mentioned the schools , it makes sense for us to explore the best possible options in terms of commute to work from underground stations near to international schools ...
    We've got 16 and 10 year olds,so have to really think about their journey to schools.

I'll be checking the locations of British/American schools and come back to site for more help soon ...

Rgds,
    Bbllt28
    Hi, British/American schools have an option to send a school bus to pick up children in mornings and bring them back after school, not sure if they cover all Moscow routes or just within the area of the school location. Please check the option with the school you chose. I hope you find this helpful. Best,

Yes, it is good. I would say very good for downtown area.

yes!!!

Perfect location for expats!!! *****

Excellent

Very good location!

Dear I like being in the heart of the city. If your kids are school age you might find it's a long commute to get them to the English-language international schools although I think there's a French school in the immediate area. And like I said, there are a lot of bars and restaurants around, which you might find means it isn't the kind of place you'd want your kids going around on their own in the evenings.... ?
    Smile PlzZZzzz…(Usman Malik)…!!!

Hey. Nice place for living and getting Moscow facilities. It's close to the Center of Moscow and you can reach any place with no any transportation. But....
    There is could be difficult to find a school or kindergarden because of the Center.
    You need to think of it first.

I live in Taganskaya (close to riverside) and 2 minutes to metro station. I really don't like this area and as another option; please don't think of Taganskaya.