littleangels        English Nanny
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about New Rules for VISA, 180/90 days, Retroactive or not? Look here first.

Question about New Rules for VISA, 180/90 days, Retroactive or not? Look here first.

Dear all,

Thanks to the contribution of a lot of members, there are some leading threads that will answer any of your questions concerning the new visa laws, the 180/90 days rule and the retroactivity of the rules.

If you are new with a question, PLEASE check the following threads before repeating any asked question, as many people ask the same.

The list below contains short or long threads with VERY VALUABLE information. This list is likely to be expanded with information in some older threads, but this should provide a rather good baseline. Please READ them carefully.

http://www.expat.ru/forum/travel-pas...ctive-not.html
    http://www.expat.ru/forum/travel-pas...ification.html

As far as I know it is not. Only affects new visas. I arrived back in Seattle Monday to get a new visa. And will be back in the beggining of Feb

I just got back to Russia with a one year ME visa. And was registered today. I was informed by OVIR that since my Visa is valid for 366 days, I can stay in Moscow for a year. I do not have to leave at all unless I want to. They called their headquarters to verify the information and was what I was told. They said that I do not have to leave after 90 days, nor after 180 days.

Penelope Guest
    Is it a business visa or a Work visa?

ME visa is "business visa".
    Strange, as the law says sure that 90/180 days rule applies.
    Raydg, you should ask twice, it wouldn't be the first time that some FMS guys say BS. There is nothing printed on your visa about this?

Penelope Guest
    ME just means multi-entry. A work visa is also multi-entry.

The Seattle Consulate gave me a 366 ME visa. Not a work visa. As for FMS, it was the department head that told me and informed me that they had a conference call yesterday with all department heads that he got the information from. He also called FMS headquarters and was told the same thing. So, it seems that one department does not know what the other is doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Penelope View Post
    ME just means multi-entry. A work visa is also multi-entry.

Yes Penelope, but usually people who get a work visa say "work visa"! ME generally applies for business visa.

Moreover, as work visa generally go with a work permit, there is no 90 days restrictions, how could people work 90 days every 6 months?!

Assuming you have nothing written on the visa (about a 90 days limit),
    Assuming the border guards did not stamp anything about this when you entered Russia,
    Try to register your visa for 6 months (the longest period BEFORE the 90 days rule).

If you get this 6 months registration, well... You should be allowed to stay 6 months, go out, and re-enter as "before".

Just if you have a control in the street or when you go out, well, nothing is stamped in your passport/visa, and you were registered 6 months, so you can say all is normal for you!

Oh and anyway, NEVER (since a few years) it was allowed to stay one year without leaving, on a one year ME visa... So the FMS for sure said BS, if they told you may stay a year!

Quote Originally Posted by raydg View Post
    The Seattle Consulate gave me a 366 ME visa. Not a work visa. As for FMS, it was the department head that told me and informed me that they had a conference call yesterday with all department heads that he got the information from. He also called FMS headquarters and was told the same thing. So, it seems that one department does not know what the other is doing.

I figured that he was full of bs and that is why I posted this. I never trust anyone in government. Does any one know where this law governing visas is. I want to look at it.

raydg:

I have had a similar experience as you did. I received a new business (delavaya) visa in DC in early Dec 07 and came back to Moscow (I have lived here for over 5 years). I submitted the yvedomlenye, or registration, directly to the OVIR / FMS. On the slip of paper that I turned into them, I actually wrote down that I intended to stay for a full year, just to see what their reaction would be. They had no reaction and just stamped my slip of paper as accepted / registered.

My visa does not have anything stamped on it that indicates I can be here for 90 or 180 days. The folks at SVO did not put a stamp in my passport limiting my stay, only indicating when I came through in Dec.

Recently, a friend of ours who handles visas on a regular basis went to FMS for us to inquire if my yvedomlenye really did give me the right to stay for the full year. She spoke with a asst. director there who looked at it and said that we did not need to leave at 90 days but could stay on for up to 180 days, if we wanted, but then we would need to go.

Obviously, we are not sure who to believe, as the law is very clear in what is expected of foreigners, so we are in the process of getting off the of the business visa and on to a work visa, which will make things easier (somewhat) and hopefully a bit clearer.

I too, would be interested to hear if others have had similar experiences.

MCI, Raydg,

The 90/180 rule comes from a treaty between Russia and the EU and laws implemented as a consequence of that.

Therefore, Canada and US issued visas are not affected by it. Only Russia and most EU countries.

Quote Originally Posted by ezik View Post
    MCI, Raydg,

The 90/180 rule comes from a treaty between Russia and the EU and laws implemented as a consequence of that.

Therefore, Canada and US issued visas are not affected by it. Only Russia and most EU countries.
    Thankfully I'm no longer affected by this visa, and cannot experience the new rules.

But does this mean that Britain, Ireland and Denmark who refused to sign the agreement can still remain in Russia for 180 days?

Fairly recent posts who have applied to London for their visas continued to state no problem from London. Is that still the case?

Yes, work visa now seems to be the only way to live in Russia permanently, but the question is HOW do I get a work visa if I don't have an organization here in Russia that can apply for a work visa for me??

Quote Originally Posted by MCI View Post
    raydg:

I have had a similar experience as you did. I received a new business (delavaya) visa in DC in early Dec 07 and came back to Moscow (I have lived here for over 5 years). I submitted the yvedomlenye, or registration, directly to the OVIR / FMS. On the slip of paper that I turned into them, I actually wrote down that I intended to stay for a full year, just to see what their reaction would be. They had no reaction and just stamped my slip of paper as accepted / registered.

My visa does not have anything stamped on it that indicates I can be here for 90 or 180 days. The folks at SVO did not put a stamp in my passport limiting my stay, only indicating when I came through in Dec.

Recently, a friend of ours who handles visas on a regular basis went to FMS for us to inquire if my yvedomlenye really did give me the right to stay for the full year. She spoke with a asst. director there who looked at it and said that we did not need to leave at 90 days but could stay on for up to 180 days, if we wanted, but then we would need to go.

Obviously, we are not sure who to believe, as the law is very clear in what is expected of foreigners, so we are in the process of getting off the of the business visa and on to a work visa, which will make things easier (somewhat) and hopefully a bit clearer.

I too, would be interested to hear if others have had similar experiences.

a pre-Oct visa experience

I just thought I'd write with my own experience - though I have no idea how it fits into anything.

I have a pre-October 1-year, multi-entry коммерческая visa, срок 365 дней. Last week (180 days into visa) I went abroad and returned immediately. My visa agency processed my registration. I got a full 180 days, that is, till the end of my current visa. Is this 'cause I'm a USA citizen so, as Ezik says below, the 90/180 rule doesn't apply to me? I had assumed I'd get only 90 days (as Ezik described in an earlier post).

Beats me. I'm happy to have it and not questioning it.

Quote Originally Posted by ezik View Post
    MCI, Raydg,

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast