littleangels        English Nanny
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Have you fallen over yet?

Have you fallen over yet?

I've fallen over three times so far this winter....and we're only half way through.

And....what do all you cool dudes out there do to combat the humiliation of falling over on the ice and sliding around on your belly like a dumb penguin?

Yes, lots of times already and once cracked my coccyx (tip of the spine near the bum!) which was VERY painful and took ages to heal I simply hate this time of year; even doing a relatively short journey is an ordeal and every step uses up nervous energy and is exhausting. January and February to me are the most miserable months

Ouch!

I went flying indoors today at Zen coffee. I was well embarrassed when everyone looked in my direction and gasped in one loud chorus.

Question. Why do Russians say ! when someone falls over? Is it like saying....if you MUST fall over then would you please do it quietly

Anastasia Guest

Sorry, Sheppy, for laughting . I have never thought about how it can sound @@ for the case!.
    In rich-languaged russian "tiho" means as well gentle, not hard not sharp etc. So people that said tiho simply meant - don't hit yourself much, fall gentle.

But anyway, it's the funny way you're asking about it.

Penguin

Actually imitating a penguin walk is a very good way not to fall. Small steps, body slightly bent forward, arms slightly apart may be not the most elegant way of walking but definitely will protect against some nasty black and blue bruises.
    About bruises it is not a commercial but in Russian pharmacies they sell Bulgarian gel Troxevasin it is wonderful stuff. If you rub it hurt places right after fall (but before the bruise has actually developed) you wont have any bruises it costs pennies and when I am in Russia I always grab some to bring back to the UK.

Icy roads are the hazard of cause but sosulkas are the real danger.

Vega Guest
    I bought the special boots for this time.

It is like a running shoes, but for winter and it is a boots.

I'm happy.

One my friend is sitting at home in a plaster .

- ! , ! , !
    Vasily Alibabaevich, the personage
    from the russian movie.

DaveUKagain Guest
    Funny, I`ve not gone flying yet....... for those not in the know, Blighty received a coating of snow which effectively stopped life here on Monday (Two hours to get to a training course five miles away !!!!!!!!!!!! ) - the snow all melted, re-froze and the pavements look like skating rinks here, especially if you live on a quiet side street like Dave here - the fabled "Council Gritter" (related to Gary Glitter, amongst other things) never gets around. I usually at some stage`ll go flying arms and legs everywhere like some demented windmill - not happened yet. Only a matter of time, though............... ;-))))))))

Moscow Wolf is offline Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    I usually work on an average of three falls every winter, the last one was outside Stockmanns on New Years Eve over one year ago, that was one of those falls that takes you completely by surprise, legs up over your head and bump on your back and within a split second later, the back of your skull hitting the frozen pavement! Ouch.

I haven't fallen over yet this winter so I've got 3 in store! 10 years, 3 falls on average every winter, that's 30 hits to my head and you lot wonder why I'm MAD!

Quite the opposite for me Wolf...30 hits on the head would definitely see an improvement....

Slap.....slap....slpa...salp...spla.....splap....

Your advice Polia reminds me of the first time I went back to the UK after spending a winter in Moscow and my mam pointed out "you're walking funny!"....guess it must have been my penguin impression ...which must have looked quite bizarre to the locals of green green grass of home!

Oh and on the subject of bruises my "svekrov" insisted on pouring bright green iodine all over my knees and elbows.

Dave hurry up over here...can't wait to see that demented windmill impression.

Yeah, Polia, thanks for the advice. I've been opting for the "vividly uncool" penguin gait for some time now, and it's nice to know that's the defense of choice amongst Russians-in-the-know!

Just to endorse the effectiveness of this walk, I haven't fallen in 2 years. Oh hell, I just said it out loud, now I'll hit the sidewalk the second I step downstairs for lunch.

Ptu-ptu-ptu...
    Proudly sitting down to pee since 1989

First real fall

I took my first real fall yesterday walking downhill. Luckily I landed on the fleshiest part of my rumpus.

I would also say that standing like a penguin is useful when waiting for a bus. Just hunch your shoulders and stand facing downwind.

Fa-Q Guest
    Four years in Russia and I only fell once but oooooh did I fall. I was pissed off and not being careful. Not much you can do but get up and make sure ya bones aint broken, then take ya coat to the cleaners.

Like a nervous hockey goalie approaching a shutout I can report no falls this winter for the first time ever. Considering locking myself indoors for the rest of the season to achieve it.

One of my favourite was a hat-trick a few years ago - up and down three times in a row on the same spot. I decided to shuffle over a bit on my butt before getting up the fourth time to the amusement of the growing crowd of onlookers.

DPG Guest
    I've been doing the penguin thing for a couple of years aswell...and had not fallen down once as a result. Until last week that is, when in a late rush to get to work, I forgot all the stuff the little blighters taught me in the south pole and went arse over elbow in the middle of tverskaya (thankfully on the pavement!).

Stepped in my first snowdrift yesterday too - bloody thing came above my knees...but at least my boots were sparklingly clean afterwards!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast