littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: Applying for work visa in foreign country

Applying for work visa in foreign country

I have a quick question please!

I have had student visa previously to Russia. Australian passport.

Will be issued with a business visa for three months.

Before or once business visa has expired is it possible to go to Ukraine or any nearby centre and apply for a Russian work visa (once I have the work permit/invitation etc)

Thanks a lot in advance!

With the help of an agency, yes.

A highly recommended agency is Liga Consultant in Moscow. They have partners in Riga, Tallinn, Vilnius, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by igor123 View Post
    I have had student visa previously to Russia. Australian passport.
    Australians need a visa to travel to Ukraine.

We are also Australian Passport holders and were in the same boat as you last year, so I researched this in depth. We used no agency hence no associated cost. Your best bet is to go to London with all the necessary paperwork, invitation etc. and also don't forget your autobiography in Russian as well. I't has to be autobiography and not CV as it states on their website (we got caught with that and had to redo). As an Australian you get 6 months visa into the UK hence you qualify for express processing of your visa, I can't remember if it was 24 or 48hrs, you pay for express processing of course but it is better than waiting 14 days and paying for accomodation and living expences. If your paperwork is all in order, the process is very straight forward and efficient, I would say even easy. Just look up russian embassy in London webpage and you will find a link to the website of the agency they subcontract the hard job of issuing visas, all the information is there.
    good luck

From what I have been able to find on the net is you are only able to apply for a Russian visa in a foreign country if you can legally reside in that country for more than 90 days, something like this.

So I guess London would be the best option, well only option. However, I am thinking if I were to apply for a work holiday visa to a closer country in Europe ie. Finland or Germany it might be a better option, in terms of cost and time.

Any suggestions. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frankjohn2 View Post
    With the help of an agency, yes.

A highly recommended agency is Liga Consultant in Moscow. They have partners in Riga, Tallinn, Vilnius, etc.
    I'll repeat myself ... why go to London when you can use an agency in the Baltics and avoid the expense of travel to and overnight accommodation in the UK?

I and other colleagues have obtained visas in Vilnius, Helsinki, and Kharkiv so it is NOT always necessary to travel to the country of citizenship or residency (although the law is written that you are required to do so).

Vilnius is one day processing ... in by 10AM out by 5PM. The cost is $450 which includes the $130 consular fee (for Americans, for Australians it is likely a different amount).