littleangels        English Nanny
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: the heat is OFF!

the heat is OFF!

central heating has been turned off yesterday night...
    does that mean SPRING for sure is finally here and there will be sunshine, green grass and BBQ on the weekend?
    but according to the hundreds of year old -Farmer's Almanach- there will be still a cold spell around the 11th to 15th of May. even with frost and snow. well, lets see in a month time if that is true. maybe still keep the valenki and chapka out for awhile?
    Last edited by Judge; 16-04-2013 at 23:57. Reason: fixed title.
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

But it is only the middle of April. Don't they usually turn off the heat around May 1 and turn it back on again about Oct 1?

I remember reading in the Moscow Times some years ago about the 'steam chief' who decided when the heat went on or off according to the extended weather forecast and so many days of X temperatures.

The middle of April is very early to turn off the heat. Are you sure?
    Last edited by annasophia; 16-04-2013 at 13:06.

It seems very likely that a lot of local authorities will, in light of the long and cold winter, turn off heat to save money, and still jack up prices for heating for everyone... And pocketing the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    central heating has been turned off yesterday night...
    does that mean SPRING for sure is finally here and there will be sunshine, green grass and BBQ on the weekend?
    but according to the hundreds of year old -Farmer's Almanach- there will be still a cold spell around the 11th to 15th of May. even with frost and snow. well, lets see in a month time if that is true. maybe still keep the valenki and chapka out for awhile?
    Well, according to state norms they should switch off heating when medium temp. of the whole day (среднесуточная температура) is +8C for 5 days continuously. You may call hotline of МОЭК and get the info when heating will be off, and also when hot water will be off:
    ГОРЯЧАЯ ЛИНИЯ
    по вопросам отопления и горячего водоснабжения
    (495) 662-50-50

Режим работы:
    ПН - ЧТ с 8:00 до 21:00,
    ПТ с 8:00 до 19:45

Look out a window. Maybe there are geysers interrupting service

(Smolensk)
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKt3Uoru4hQ"]Гейзер на главной площади города - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cbNue7j3oQ"]Géiser gigante de ocho metros en el centro de una ciudad rusa - YouTube[/ame]

My Moscow weather widget shows the +/- 8-16C daytime - but still in nights; you will survive uncomfortably.

Life is tough pilgrim, it's even tougher if you're stupid

in our building the heat went off yesterday

The middle of April is very early to turn off the heat. Are you sure?[/QUOTE]

maybe they do it like with the hot water switch off in summer? not all at once and only a few streets at a time?
    suppose these huge boilers for supplying water to the central heating can not be just turned off like that. the have to let them go down slowly. meaning, the radiators are not yet completely cold but definitely no full heat is coming out the pipes and in a day or two the radiator will be cold.

and this is the opportunity, after all you ahve now until October, get the plumber and install a regulator or just a simple handle or something that lets YOU regulate the temperature of the radiator. and it is not on FULL or nothing all winter. does not cost the earth and for sure will make a world of difference from let you either roast of freeze, when you have to open the window in deepest winter because it is unbearable hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    The middle of April is very early to turn off the heat. Are you sure?

maybe they do it like with the hot water switch off in summer? not all at once and only a few streets at a time?

suppose these huge boilers for supplying water to the central heating can not be just turned off like that. the have to let them go down slowly. meaning, the radiators are not yet completely cold but definitely no full heat is coming out the pipes and in a day or two the radiator will be cold.
    That hot water OFF during periods in Summer is due to end in 2017 **fingers crossed**

Life is tough pilgrim, it's even tougher if you're stupid

yeah, and i still believe in Santa Claus

That hot water OFF during periods in Summer is due to end in 2017 **fingers crossed**
    [/QUOTE]

and if all the pipes should be repaired/replaced by the time, they for sure will find another story and tell us the hot water has to be turned off for some maintenance or other.

Radiator was definitely still on full blast at my work today...

Well, yesterday and today morning in my home radiators were still warm (not hot). http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Wea...ation=RSXX1499 - at Saturday imperialists promise us +21C

Still on in my home and at work.

Same here, still on

Lost in moscow is offline Whatever it is -- I didn't do it!
    If I knew, would it be still called lost?
    mine are off now, and the rhythmic ticking of the metal cooling throughout the night was irritating.
    I am the eggman, they are the eggmen, I am the walrus.

How much does it cost to run a heating system like this.

I have heard that the temp is set to a steady 25 degrees

On the basis that an average household may want heating on at say
    21 degrees for 2 - 3 hours in the morning.
    21 degrees for 5 - 6 hours in the evening.
    12 - 15 degrees for the remaining time....say 15 hours

Surely you are paying through the nose for something you dont use?

Is hot water piped over another system?

Oh no, Alan! A child's room must be at least 27C! And if Grandma's home during the day, she also needs 27C-28C. And then when Mom and Dad get home in the evening, they must be able to strip down to their skivvies in the house. You can't expect people to dress as if it's actually winter outside!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast