littleangels        English Nanny
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Work permit with a long-term student visa?

Work permit with a long-term student visa?

I am set to come to Russia for two years to study for a law degree at a Russian university. I would also like to work part time on the side at a US law firm (I am New York qualified and I already have a US JD and LLM).

My question is: if I find an employer (say, a US law firm) willing to pay me for part time work, will I be able to obtain a work permit if I am on a long-term student visa?

no, nope, nada.

a student visa only allows you to work 10 hours a week at the institution you are studying at. Russia's rules are the most archaic. any work outside ofthat you do is illegal and it is not possible to get a work permit for it. only if you have a Temporary residency permit can you do both.
    cured

Quote Originally Posted by yakspeare View Post
    no, nope, nada.
    Let turn this around, can you study on a work permit?

nope you can't do that either. you need a student visa to study at universities. there are some exceptions for things like private tutoring though but the cost is at commercial rates per hour(for russian lessons etc) not the discounted rate offered under student visas. You might be able to study at a private institute but not a university. I had to change to a student visa to study russian at university. my employer called the FMS to ask if it was possible to do both and we ended up having our office raided by them lol.
    cured

Could I do an internship while enrolled at MGU and work for free?

Would it be possible for me to work for money if I enrolled in the Russian School of Private Law instead of at Moscow State University?

Could I enroll in either while on a "Temporary Residence Permit"?

I'm told that in the old days if one didn't show up at an office one could work for money without a work permit. In other words, one could edit documents in English for a law firm in one's personal apartment and the firm could send the person a check. Have they closed that loophole?

Are you sure the rules are clear on this?

What if I am technically being paid by the US-branch of the US firm while I am in Moscow? Would that make a difference?

If I go to Moscow, I really need to get some practical experience while I am there...

there are a lot of things you CAN do and in fact what a lot of people DO do. but they aren't legal. You can only work at the institution that your student visa is through and for a maximum of 10 hours a week. NOT outside it. You also can't do any form of work-even volunterring unpaid-on a student visa for elsewhere. Working from home etc circumvents russian taxation and social security payments etc. If you are doing work for an American company from home that is fine but not a russian company. On a temproary residency permit everything is possible but they are darn hard to get for Moscow other than by marrying a russian. Only the TRP allows you to both work and study. They are a nightmare to get, subject to quota and the queue is long. many people make cash under the table, for example English teaching, but I think a law firm would be unlikely to do this.
    cured

What yaks said is right. I went through the exact same thing when I was studying there and trying to get a job or internship.

With work permit visa, you can study. But before you do that, you've to consult with the dean of your University. I did that and my friend to did the same and it was not a private institution.

what did you study? I was told at several universities no way. except if i paid commerical rates for private tutoring etc. If you have a TRP you can do both.
    cured

The last time I read the full text of the law regarding student visas, it indicated that students may only work at their places of study during times while classes are in session, but may work anywhere during holiday and vacation periods.

Medicine at РГМУ (леч. факультет)

Quote Originally Posted by tasel View Post
    Medicine at РГМУ (леч. факультет)
    probably not legally. my university had a christian missionary from the states as a "student" for 17 years! russian law is clear but yes a chat to a dean makes anything possible....eta rossiya.
    cured

What do you mean by "not legally" ?

Quote Originally Posted by tasel View Post
    What do you mean by "not legally" ?
    A univerisity must file a list of students with a student visa which is a source of their funding. You must have a student visa to study unless you have a TRP. It is Russian law and I had to stop working in order to study because of it and the FMS made that especially clear as well as the universities. If you were studying on a work visa at a university it means it was off the books.
    cured

That's not exactly the fact. With student visa, you're not supposed to work but with work permit you can study.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast