littleangels        English Nanny
Page 1 of 13 123456711 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 191

Thread: Procedure for Temporary Residency

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    332
    Thanked: 0

    Procedure for Temporary Residency

    Kazachka, and myself met with Василий Иванович Машаков, Department Manager at the UVIR/PVO HQ Moscow HQ. The purpose of our meeting was to verify the current requirements for temporary and permanent Russian residency requirements. I am sure that others have had different experiences in the past, or have been told something different by their local OVIR. At the end of this message, I have listed the procedure for gathering the forms, and also arranging to meet with Mr. Mашаков in person.

    Required documents for Temporary Residence (разрешения на временное проживание)
    Criminal history record Apostille, translated and notarized
    o Note to Americans He stated that they required the FBI criminal check not your local Police check. This information disagrees with the US Embassy website, which states either is acceptable. Procedures for completing this procedure are documented on the Embassy website. You do not need to go to the US to complete this step.
    o Others have successfully used the state government. I personally am applying for both.
    o Criminal Records Checks and Fingerprinting
    Two completed Temporary Residency forms (разрешения на временное проживание). The forms must completed, but do not sign them, as you must sign them in front of the FMS officer when they receive all your documents.
    Notarized translated (into Russian of course) copy of your passport (Since you have provided your passport details, a birth certificate is not required.) The passport must be valid for more than six months.
    Notarized copy of apartment ownership document where you are to be registered (You do need to own property. For example, I am using my in-laws apartment. However, if you do own property than follow these same rules)
    o Procedure to obtain this document
    Notarized copy of the deed
    Written consent of all registered persons or owners of this address to allow you to reside there.
    An attestation (not notarized) less than one month old, that the apartment has all its amenities paid.
    These documents are taken to a notary who provides the form that is to be completed, signed and submitted with your application. Forms and filing for this can be done at any notary.
    It was recommended that you go to the local OVIR of the apartment listed above and start the application process there. You could start the process where you are currently registered but at some point, it would get transferred to the above office anyway, which would result in a long delay.
    Financial Documents No proof of financial assets is currently required for temporary residence. However, proof of financial assets for permanent residency is 80,000 rubles or approximately $3200 USD.
    Medical Tests
    o I am not clear if I need a spravka to begin the tests and if so where do you get it? I plan to ask my local OVIR.
    o Chest XRAY for TB
    o Check for syphilis, chancres, Chlamydia
    o Mental and/or drug check
    o HIV Test
    o leprosy
    He recommended that you take medical tests at the clinics specified by your local OVIR, however I recommend that you check with your local OVIR as you may be able to use other clinics like the western clinics. Make sure your name is translated the same as on the visa located on your passport.
    These tests are only valid for 3 months before submitting your residency application. I assume that you will need to re-take these tests if you apply for a work permit after receiving your residency.
    4 Passport style pictures, black and white, non-digital 35 х 45 мм
    2 envelopes with stamps, addressed to you in the place you will be registered.
    If married to a Russian Citizen Marriage to a Russian is not required, however if you are married to a Russian citizen then you are exempt from the quota system (Each Russian Region has a set quota for the number of temporary residences to be allowed. You may apply as many times as you want. However, Moscow only has 1500 slots and you will be behind the CIS people. You can go to the OVIR at Tretyakovskaya to file an application 1-10th of the month and wait to see if hell freezes and you get approved. Then it's back to central OVIR where you turn your acceptance in and pursue the rest at your local OVIR. Yes, there are higher numbers for the regions. )

    Marriage Certificate -. Notarized copy of marriage certificate if performed in Russia (I believe a translated and notarized copy is required if performed outside Russia.)

    Spouse Internal Russian Passport - A copy is fine.

    Birth certificate of child If Russian then notarized copy, if not Russian then translated and notarized

    Temporary Residence into Permanent Residence

    You must wait one year after receiving your temporary residence before you can apply for a permanent residence. This period is true for everyone, even those with Russian spouses married longer than three years.

    Entry and Exit from Russia while Temporary Residence is being processed I was told that I could leave and return to Russia at any point in time on my current visa.

    Next Steps - Accumulate documents and go to my local OVIR in person to submit documents, wait 3 to 6 months for completed application, pay my FMS fee, and collect documents in person (Along with passing go)

    Location of UVIR HQ in Moscow where we meet with Василий Иванович Машаков


    The main Russian government organization responsible for visa problems and temporary/permanent residency is: UVIR, 42 Pokrovka, Moscow (closest metro: Krasnyye Vorota), telephone 495) 207-0113 on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays; closed Wednesday.

    His hours are Monday and Thursday 11- 13. We arrived at 9:00 and put our name on the list (just a sheet of paper, not the official book). The list keeper is the security guard you see as soon as you arrive. Got back at 10:45, and then arranged ourselves in line. We were 4th and 5th in line. We were seen about 90 minutes later. The room is on the right as you go in. Room # 10. We got the forms in the room to the left as you enter at the first window on the left.







  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    disappeared
    Posts
    8,867
    Thanked: 0
    A very useful thread. May I suggest that a mini directory is included here, of all the useful web addresses requred to get your documents. Suchas where to apply for police checks, apostils, etc for all the members nationalities such as British, American and Australian. Because people keep asking. Addresses of Russian embassies in varous countries would als be use.

    Because, members keep asking for these same addresses time after time.
    Last edited by Bels; 16-11-2007 at 18:49.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    264
    Thanked: 0
    Great info! Finally, something coherent! Too bad they don't put the application form online...

    As I understand, he couldn't/didn't tell you if medical exams could be done at a local Western clinic?

    Also, any comment re: the fact that the FBI doesn't apostille documents? I actually saw on the web site of the Dept. of State that they will apostille a U.S. gov't. document, but that will require even more time...

    Thanks for your patience waiting in line and diligence in posting all here.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    moscow
    Posts
    35
    Thanked: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfsup37 View Post
    Financial Documents No proof of financial assets is currently required for temporary residence. However, proof of financial assets for permanent residency is 80,000 rubles or approximately $3200 USD.
    Not according to the UFMS website. They say you need the financial records even for temporary residence:
    - один из документов, подтверждающий наличие у заявителя средств, обеспечивающих ему и членам его семьи при проживании в Российской Федерации прожиточный минимум, или документ, подтверждающий его нетрудоспособность (справка о доходах физического лица, декларация о доходах с отметкой налогового органа, справка с места работы, трудовая книжка, пенсионное удостоверение, справка органа социальной защиты о получении пособий, подтверждение о получении алиментов, справка о наличии вклада в кредитном учреждении с указанием номера счета, свидетельство о праве на наследство, справка о доходах лица, на иждивении которого находится заявитель, иной документ, подтверждающий получение доходов от не запрещенной законом деятельности или нетрудоспособность)
    ~mef

    Check out my maps of Russia

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    moscow
    Posts
    35
    Thanked: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfsup37 View Post
    If married to a Russian Citizen Marriage to a Russian is not required, however if you are married to a Russian citizen then you are exempt from the quota system (Each Russian Region has a set quota for the number of temporary residences to be allowed. You may apply as many times as you want. However, Moscow only has 1500 slots and you will be behind the CIS people. You can go to the OVIR at Tretyakovskaya to file an application 1-10th of the month and wait to see if hell freezes and you get approved. Then it's back to central OVIR where you turn your acceptance in and pursue the rest at your local OVIR. Yes, there are higher numbers for the regions. )
    Has anyone here successfully gotten temporary residency via the quota system? Considering that I don't meet any of the exemptions (which, again, are a., marriage to russian national b., having previous russ. citizenship c., having dependent child in russia d., having dependent parent in russia), I'm wondering if it's even worth applying. Any tips? Could a spot be, er, bought? Should one apply for a work permit/visa instead?
    ~mef

    Check out my maps of Russia

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Renton, WA, USA
    Posts
    33
    Thanked: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by mefistofele View Post
    Not according to the UFMS website. They say you need the financial records even for temporary residence:
    - один из документов, подтверждающий наличие у заявителя средств, обеспечивающих ему и членам его семьи при проживании в Российской Федерации прожиточный минимум, или документ, подтверждающий его нетрудоспособность (справка о доходах физического лица, декларация о доходах с отметкой налогового органа, справка с места работы, трудовая книжка, пенсионное удостоверение, справка органа социальной защиты о получении пособий, подтверждение о получении алиментов, справка о наличии вклада в кредитном учреждении с указанием номера счета, свидетельство о праве на наследство, справка о доходах лица, на иждивении которого находится заявитель, иной документ, подтверждающий получение доходов от не запрещенной законом деятельности или нетрудоспособность)

    My wife was also told the same thing and the amount was 5752 roubles a month times 36.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    332
    Thanked: 0

    Couple of Responses

    Questions - As I understand, he couldn't/didn't tell you if medical exams could be done at a local Western clinic?

    Answer - He referred me back to my local OVIR. The issue is that as I mention in my post I will be applying for temporary residence in St. Petersburg because that is where my in-laws live. I hope to go next week, and start the process. My first stop is my local OVIR. I have a bunch of questions for them, because for me they are the gatekeepers
    I couldn't get a straight answer out of him.

    Question - Also, any comment re: the fact that the FBI doesn't apostille documents? I actually saw on the web site of the Dept. of State that they will apostille a U.S. gov't. document, but that will require even more time...

    Answer - I saw the same thing, and then I believe someone on this site said they would not do it. As I mentioned in my post, I am going to try with the State Police, but ask for the FBI as a backup.

    Question - Not according to the UFMS website. They say you need the financial records even for temporary residence


    My wife was also told the same thing and the amount was 5752 roubles a month times 36.

    Answer - According to what he told us, that requirement was scraped this year. However, it may still be on the website. I am just going on what he told me. As I mentioned in my post, it appears that different offices are following different rules.

    My goal was to verify as much as I could the official rules, so it doesn't get bounced down the line. However, my local OVIR or your local OVIR could force us to jump through extra hoops which are no longer required. In that case, I probably won't fight them because it probably cost more time and money than complying with their un-required requirements.

    Forms - A friend of mine found copies of the forms on a website. I am going to compare the form that they gave and the form I have to verify that they are the same if so I will post. However, I do not know if you have to apply using the official form or if you can use copies.

    I have gotten a lot of good advice on this forum, and I am happy to return the favor.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    disappeared
    Posts
    8,867
    Thanked: 0
    Surfsup, would you say the best advice is go straight to your local OVIR and ask, as you did? Also this apostil problem, no problem for Britain as the have their Foreign affairs off ice and follow what we were told THE HAGUE CONVENTION. Perhaps USA doesn't follow this internationally agreed Hague Convention whare all documents must be apostiled. If your country doesn;'t follow this Hague convention then they must get their documents apostiled in Russia, I thinks i'ts the department for Foreign Affairs. That's what my wife tells me coming from discussions with our local OVIR.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    disappeared
    Posts
    8,867
    Thanked: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfsup37 View Post
    Questions - As I understand, he couldn't/didn't tell you if medical exams could be done at a local Western clinic?

    Answer - He referred me back to my local OVIR. The issue is that as I mention in my post I will be applying for temporary residence in St. Petersburg because that is where my in-laws live. I hope to go next week, and start the process. My first stop is my local OVIR. I have a bunch of questions for them, because for me they are the gatekeepers
    I couldn't get a straight answer out of him.

    Question - Also, any comment re: the fact that the FBI doesn't apostille documents? I actually saw on the web site of the Dept. of State that they will apostille a U.S. gov't. document, but that will require even more time...

    Answer - I saw the same thing, and then I believe someone on this site said they would not do it. As I mentioned in my post, I am going to try with the State Police, but ask for the FBI as a backup.

    Question - Not according to the UFMS website. They say you need the financial records even for temporary residence


    My wife was also told the same thing and the amount was 5752 roubles a month times 36.

    Answer - According to what he told us, that requirement was scraped this year. However, it may still be on the website. I am just going on what he told me. As I mentioned in my post, it appears that different offices are following different rules.

    My goal was to verify as much as I could the official rules, so it doesn't get bounced down the line. However, my local OVIR or your local OVIR could force us to jump through extra hoops which are no longer required. In that case, I probably won't fight them because it probably cost more time and money than complying with their un-required requirements.

    Forms - A friend of mine found copies of the forms on a website. I am going to compare the form that they gave and the form I have to verify that they are the same if so I will post. However, I do not know if you have to apply using the official form or if you can use copies.

    I have gotten a lot of good advice on this forum, and I am happy to return the favor.
    Whats your problem by not going through the Russian system of medicals. Why Western? It's probably going to cost you a fortune any way, and complications with communication. Why don't you go through the Russian system like I did. Why put more problems on yourself. Just follow the system that you receive from OVIR. Believe me you will have enough problems, without increasing them on yourselves

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vladivostok
    Posts
    109
    Thanked: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by Bels View Post
    Surfsup, would you say the best advice is go straight to your local OVIR and ask, as you did? Also this apostil problem, no problem for Britain as the have their Foreign affairs off ice and follow what we were told THE HAGUE CONVENTION. Perhaps USA doesn't follow this internationally agreed Hague Convention whare all documents must be apostiled. If your country doesn;'t follow this Hague convention then they must get their documents apostiled in Russia, I thinks i'ts the department for Foreign Affairs. That's what my wife tells me coming from discussions with our local OVIR.
    Except that, as I understand it, Russia won't Apostille foreign documents, otherwise what's the sense?

    Btw, USA is a signatory of THE HAGUE CONVENTION treaty so you can get an Apostille on documents, it's just that each state has their own agency that is responsible for this.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vladivostok
    Posts
    109
    Thanked: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by Bels View Post
    Whats your problem by not going through the Russian system of medicals. Why Western? It's probably going to cost you a fortune any way, and complications with communication. Why don't you go through the Russian system like I did. Why put more problems on yourself. Just follow the system that you receive from OVIR. Believe me you will have enough problems, without increasing them on yourselves
    I agree with Bels. You won't be getting any additional benefit from going to a Western clinic, I mean, it's not like you're going to be treated for anything.

    I went to the local clinics and paid a total of 3300 rubles: 400 for AIDS, 300 for chest X-ray, and 2600 for the remaining tests. Other than the line I stood on to get my blood taken (they had a new staffer that day) everything was relatively quick and painless.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vladivostok
    Posts
    109
    Thanked: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by raydg View Post
    My wife was also told the same thing and the amount was 5752 roubles a month times 36.
    And I was told 5000 x 36, but that was back in July/August, maybe by now the new rules have made their way to them.

    I figure I'll just bring it anyway - I'm tracking my Apostilled criminal history as we 'speak', so barring any 'lost in the mail' issues, I'll be submitting my application this week!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vladivostok
    Posts
    109
    Thanked: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by Proper Bostonian View Post

    Also, any comment re: the fact that the FBI doesn't apostille documents? I actually saw on the web site of the Dept. of State that they will apostille a U.S. gov't. document, but that will require even more time...
    I also explored this avenue, but the following dissuaded me:

    (from Dept of State website)

    Documents requiring certifications with an apostille by the U.S. Department of State are those that have been signed by a federal official with the official Seal of that agency, American Consular Officer, Military Notary (10 USC 1044a) or Foreign Consul (Diplomat Officials must be registered with the Office of Protocol). Note: These documents must include the official's title and his/her signature must be legible. Please also note that the U.S. Department of State will not issue an apostille for State-issued documents.
    I can tell you for certain (since I'm looking at mine right now) that no one at the FBI signs their report, nor do they put their seal on it. You may have a problem trying to get them to put an Apostille on this.

    I'll try to include reduced jpegs of what I have. The first image is of the note they attach to the fingerprint card (form FD-258). The second image is the back of the fingerprint card, where they put a stamp that says "No arrest record".

    The purpose of an Apostille is to verify a signature, whether a notary's or an official's. Since there is no signature, it's doubtful an Apostille can be obtained for this document.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    264
    Thanked: 0
    Thanks all for the info.

    My local Ovir where I'm registered (S. Butovo) told me I have to go to another location (Lomonosovsky) to do temp registration. However, when I met with the Deputy Director in Butovo she called to confirm that bank info is no longer req'd.

    Why use a western clinic? True, 10,000 rubles is a hefty price for all those tests, but they can be done in one place! I called the med ctr. listed for the SW region and was told there are 3 different places one has to go to for all the tests. That's means 6 trips total - once to go to ea. place, a 2nd trip to pick up all the results. And, they do not give appts. Personally, I'd rather pay than go through the aggrevation, if I have the chance.

    BTW, I found this web site that lists all approved Russian med. ctrs. for those in need.



    I'm way behind you VladSkyWalker as I'll only be sending my fingerprints to the States next wk. Since the FBI doesn't accept credit cards for expedited service, I'll 1st have to send them to family and have them forward them on with a money order or certified check. However, I plan on calling the State Dept re: apostilling the FBI history.

    Very strange that Mr. Mashakov of Ovir HQ had no comment for SurfsUp re: lack of FBI apostille. Surely, they must have dealt with Americans before and encountered this issue.

    A friend of my husband's photographed the list of requirements at his local Ovir. Not sure how to post a photo here. Will try later. But a couple of funny requirements in addition to the 2 self-addressed envelopes, are a cardboard papka, 2 "files" (those plastics things), and a post card. Hubby went to a stationary store uncertain what to buy. Clerk asked if he needed them for Ovir & knew exactly what to give him.

    Thanks again for great info everyone.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    disappeared
    Posts
    8,867
    Thanked: 0
    Interesting thread, and interesting posts. There are also some interesting posts in other threads of the same subject. The biggest barrier appears to be the apostiled police check.

    Good luck British, Americans and Australians. I'm not forgetting that there are other nationalities involved in this application, but these are the main nationalities communicating here.

    Hopefully when you all successfully complete the applications you will let expat.ru know all facts to collate for others in the future.

    At the moment the Americans appear to have it more complicated.
    Last edited by Bels; 18-11-2007 at 19:12. Reason: some minor corrections when I saw my post, same info.

Page 1 of 13 123456711 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •