littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: Dairy free diet

Dairy free diet

Does anyone have ideas for replacing dairy in a diet? Russia doesn't seem to be too lactose-free friendly in the average store and I'm supposed to remove dairy from my daughter's diet.

Quote Originally Posted by RuthElise86 View Post
    Does anyone have ideas for replacing dairy in a diet? Russia doesn't seem to be too lactose-free friendly in the average store and I'm supposed to remove dairy from my daughter's diet.
    All Valio cheese is lactose free. They use some patented process apparently.

is it because of lactose intolerance?

Quote Originally Posted by RuthElise86 View Post

or are there any other reasons?

go at first to a big supermarket (Stockman, Asbuka Vkusa at the Lotte Center on New Arbat , these two have the best selection in town and also the managers have there seem to be better educated and compassionate . Explain to them what you need, and they WILL help you)

any better supermarket has Soy milk, Tofu and if you check out the VALIO products ( for lactose intolerance) they have lactose free milk and cheese on sale also here in Moscow.

is your daughter allowed -sour- products ( yoghurt,kefir,sour cream?) with lactose intolerance under normal circumstances sufferers can eat that with no problems.
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

Quote Originally Posted by martpark View Post
    All Valio cheese is lactose free. They use some patented process apparently.
    yes absolutely
    first carton vegan milks (with preservatives though) at vegaria.ru or happy-vegan.ru

second - all natural nut butters (almond and cashew) which you blend in water with a pinch of salt and tsp coconut oil if available and get AWESOME nut milk
    less water and you get kinda cream, 2 tbs of cashew butter and your veggie cream soup gets actually creamy
    these i had to order from States but now get from same shops, nutbutter.ru is the first russian producer and they don't add anything in there...

soy yogurts are not that healthy but same shops again, works for me
    or you just get shredded coconut let it sink in warm water, blend it and then ferment - here's your best yogurt home made from scratch.. otherwise - same links, I guess -))

also fermented cashew butter turns into kind of cheese I am hearing, never tried though

and most important, you don't have to replace it (healthwise) you just want to eliminate it as much as you can.. calcium? that's almonds, broccoli, chia seeds, sesame seeds
    protein? well I guess I should not even start -)) so.. if you want to substitute the taste, then yes, nut milks should work.. they're so delicious you won't even think you (or your kid) is missing anything. and you sure can cook with these

cheers!
    (and heads up for good direction you've picked)